Could/would you drive your car without driver aids

Man of Honour
I can - I can drive fairly awkward vehicles upto where you start dealing with really weird clutch and gearing stuff, etc. there I have no natural feel for how it works - when I was younger I had to pull away in more powerful cars that lacked that kind of stuff (V8s, etc.) by more quickly going into higher gears as I was a tad heavy on the accelerator LOL these days I know how to ease the power in and not encounter all those issues with torque steer, etc. hah.

I absolutely wouldn't choose to though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The first thing I do in my car is turn off the traction control after starting it up, I'm more than capable of driving it in a manner where were it to get out of shape I could

How is this even worth the bother? How does it actually enhance your driving experience to the point that you find it worthwhile every single journey? I can't remember the last time I saw the traction control activate anyway.

Associate
I tried turning off the TC/ESC on mine (Stinger) in the wet, and ended up doing a bit of a fishtail up the road under acceleration (nothing else around, dead of night).
It's not the fastest way to travel.

Clearly this needs more practice, but probably not on a public road at first.

Soldato
My old 150hp Yamaha R1 motorbike had no rider aids and had this idiot riding it for 5 years :eek::D
Am still here ;)

Am guessing a lot of people on this forum grew up driving fairly powerful cars that had no driver aids

Man of Honour
You can still get things like lift off oversteer which 95% of the drivers on the road today wouldn't know how to deal with.

Seen a few instances of lift-off oversteer combined with encountering a slightly moist surface with front wheel drive cars in my time - to be fair not 100% the driver's fault in most cases. (you could do the same thing 1000 times and never encounter it).

Soldato
You can still get things like lift off oversteer which 95% of the drivers on the road today wouldn't know how to deal with.

How controllable it is can be very car dependent too.

I wouldn't choose to drive anything on the road without abs (different if the car doesn't have it) but don't see the drama in trying to drive a powerful car without the aids

Last edited:
Caporegime
If the answer to the question "could you drive your car without driver aids" is no, then you shouldn't be driving.

"would you" is a different matter entirely however.

Soldato
If the answer to the question "could you drive your car without driver aids" is no, then you shouldn't be driving.

"would you" is a different matter entirely however.
Why.
Plenty of people couldn't stop as effectively in a car without ABS, doesnt mean they shouldn't drive.
It's been a long time since I drove a car without syncros I bet a lot of people wouldn't be able to if you just took syncros away.

Caporegime
The question was could you, not could you just as effectively.
I don't think anybody could stop "as effectively" in a car without ABS.

Synchros is stretching the "driver aids" definition a little far I think. Even Dads 1947 MG has synchromesh for all but 1st gear. :p

Soldato
The question was could you, not could you just as effectively.
I don't think anybody could stop "as effectively" in a car without ABS.

Synchros is stretching the "driver aids" definition a little far I think. Even Dads 1947 MG has synchromesh for all but 1st gear. :p
I'd say a driver aid is anything that isn't necessary for the function of the car.

Back
Top Bottom