• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
Thanks Aretak, Oh double crap...the Vega manual which looks like it could have come from a kids toy:) seems to suggest it can take all kinds , anyone know if a 6 & 8 will work?

It is a bit old but works , I’m not sure of the spec just that it’s 700 watt..
0Q1EQLlW_zWKkOMZhKq3WgAcQ

Use one of these to convert your 6 pin to 8 pin

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akasa-pci-e-to-pci-e-2.0-adapter-ak-cb052-cb-034-ak.html

Soldato
Thanks Aretak, Oh double crap...the Vega manual which looks like it could have come from a kids toy:) seems to suggest it can take all kinds , anyone know if a 6 & 8 will work?

It is a bit old but works , I’m not sure of the spec just that it’s 700 watt..
Man, Sapphire have been using that same drawing for a long, long time. It appears on a sticker on the anti-static bag of a Sapphire HD 7850 that I have.

It's just them covering all bases without having to create something new for each card, which is why it lists so many different configurations. I wouldn't expect that connecting a 6-pin would work, but it's up to you if you want to try. You could try one of those 6-pin to 8-pin converters as suggested, if you're comfortable with it. Never been a fan of such things myself, but people must use them I suppose.

My worry about the PSU itself wouldn't be its specs necessarily, but just its age in general. Capacitors fail over time, and Vega is pretty power hungry. It's quite a load for an old PSU, especially when you need to start using adapters to even connect the card up. I wouldn't risk my shiny new card with such a setup, but maybe I'm overcautious.

Associate
Man, Sapphire have been using that same drawing for a long, long time. It appears on a sticker on the anti-static bag of a Sapphire HD 7850 that I have.

It's just them covering all bases without having to create something new for each card, which is why it lists so many different configurations. I wouldn't expect that connecting a 6-pin would work, but it's up to you if you want to try. You could try one of those 6-pin to 8-pin converters as suggested, if you're comfortable with it. Never been a fan of such things myself, but people must use them I suppose.

My worry about the PSU itself wouldn't be its specs necessarily, but just its age in general. Capacitors fail over time, and Vega is pretty power hungry. It's quite a load for an old PSU, especially when you need to start using adapters to even connect the card up. I wouldn't risk my shiny new card with such a setup, but maybe I'm overcautious.
Thanks for the replies Eric knapper and the wise words Aretak...
Yea a new supply it is, I plan a full upgrade next year so it’ll be worth it..
Thanks again for the help..

Associate
So my new Vega 56 has Hynix HBM. Am I right in thinking that means it cannot be flashed with a Vega 64 BIOS? :(

It can but likely to run into issues.
Personally I would say its not really worth flashing.
Its a risk the fps difference is likely not to make a difference that one can tell.

I have samsung hbm on my vega56 but I wont flash it.
I may do it if I watercool it one day but not sure I do it then anyway.
Games I play runs great anyhow

Associate
On 1080 monitor would the Vega 56 play most games on highest settings?

The Vega 64 only little more powerful for £100 more.

I would assume so. its a bit hard to say either way, one can be cpu limited if one has an old cpu and buy a new high end gpu.
I seen some have had so old cpu and bought a 2080 and complained about lacking fps.
If one assume you have a relative modern cpu, yea.

I play path of exile on 1440p with a vega 56 and runs great there.
BFV recently due to the great engine ensure a new game runs great also with a vega.
Benchmarks don't tell the whole story either, with freesync the cards are even out even if benchmarks says differently for your gameplay anyhow.

Soldato
It can but likely to run into issues.
Personally I would say its not really worth flashing.
Its a risk the fps difference is likely not to make a difference that one can tell.

I have samsung hbm on my vega56 but I wont flash it.
I may do it if I watercool it one day but not sure I do it then anyway.
Games I play runs great anyhow
As I understand it, the risk with Samsung HBM is almost nil as long as you get the right BIOS for your board (i.e. reference, nano, etc.).

So far I've managed to create two profiles that are at least Time Spy stable. Both use stock core clocks:

P6: 1050 mV, 1537 MHz
P7: 1100 mV, 1592 MHz
HBM: 950 MHz
Power Limit: +50%
GPU Score: 7015 (+8.5% compared to stock)
Peak Sustained Core Clock: 1570 MHz
Peak Sustained Power Usage: 205W

P6: 1000 mV, 1537 MHz
P7: 1050 mV, 1592 MHz
GPU Score: 6951 (+7.5% compared to stock)
Peak Sustained Core Clock: 1555 MHz
Peak Sustained Power Usage: 180 W

Losing 1% performance whilst saving 25 W seems like a good deal to me. I might try pushing the HBM further but I reckon it's near its limit. Lowering the core voltage any further will just drop the core clocks so I don't think much improvement can be had there.

I don't seem to be able to set the fan on this Vega 56 Pulse between 0% and 50%, which is a bit annoying because the noise at 50% is definitely more than my RX 480 is at 50%. Temperatures are hovering in the low 60s during tests but I'm sure they'll go higher after an hour of gaming.

EDIT: 960 MHz HBM passes Time Spy too! 970 MHz causes crashes.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would assume so. its a bit hard to say either way, one can be cpu limited if one has an old cpu and buy a new high end gpu.
I seen some have had so old cpu and bought a 2080 and complained about lacking fps.
If one assume you have a relative modern cpu, yea.

I play path of exile on 1440p with a vega 56 and runs great there.
BFV recently due to the great engine ensure a new game runs great also with a vega.
Benchmarks don't tell the whole story either, with freesync the cards are even out even if benchmarks says differently for your gameplay anyhow.

My cpu is a i5 @4.2ghz. Not sure if that's anygood now days.

Associate
As I understand it, the risk with Samsung HBM is almost nil as long as you get the right BIOS for your board (i.e. reference, nano, etc.).

So far I've managed to create two profiles that are at least Time Spy stable. Both use stock core clocks:

P6: 1050 mV, 1537 MHz
P7: 1100 mV, 1592 MHz
GPU Score: 7015 (+8.5% compared to stock)
Peak Sustained Core Clock: 1570 MHz
Peak Sustained Power Usage: 205W

GPU Score: 6951 (+7.5% compared to stock)

Losing 1% performance whilst saving 25 W seems like a good deal to me. I might try pushing the HBM further but I reckon it's near its limit. Lowering the core voltage any further will just drop the core clocks so I don't think much improvement can be had there.

I don't seem to be able to set the fan on this Vega 56 Pulse between 0% and 50%, which is a bit annoying because the noise at 50% is definitely more than my RX 480 is at 50%. Temperatures are hovering in the low 60s during tests but I'm sure they'll go higher after an hour of gaming.

EDIT: 960 MHz HBM passes Time Spy too! 970 MHz causes crashes.

Yea, still dont like to flash if not needed.
7k timespy and I run it with 950mv on p6/p7, 850mhz hbm.
Cant say I need to flash it for my needs
The card needs a waterblock to fly though.

Soldato
Wow, 950 mV is low, I might try that just to see if it crashes. My HBM seems to be really good for Hynix stuff, although Samsung would still be better.

I think I figured out the fan issue: the card simply won't enable the fan unless the GPU temperature is above 50 °C. So I set my lowest fan speed to something that is inaudible (30% in my case) for anything up to 60 °C and it seems to work fine now: it inaudibly oscillates between 0 and 30% at around 50 °C. It then ramps up to 50% at gaming temperatures (60+ °C).

Associate
Wow, 950 mV is low, I might try that just to see if it crashes. My HBM seems to be really good for Hynix stuff, although Samsung would still be better.

I think I figured out the fan issue: the card simply won't enable the fan unless the GPU temperature is above 50 °C. So I set my lowest fan speed to something that is inaudible (30% in my case) for anything up to 60 °C and it seems to work fine now: it inaudibly oscillates between 0 and 30% at around 50 °C. It then ramps up to 50% at gaming temperatures (60+ °C).

Yea I am basically balancing the fan speed with mhz/mv due to air boost is a blower fan mechanic.
can run it on 40% or lower but haven't tried a longer gaming session yet.

Soldato
I tried those lower voltages you use and managed to pass Time Spy. Obviously still need to test real games over the next few weeks to see real stability but another 20 W saved for a 1.5% drop in performance. Should allow the card to stay cooler too!

Balanced
HBM: 960 MHz
GPU Score: 6989 (+8.0% compared to stock)

Cool N Quiet
P6: 950 mV, 1537 MHz
P7: 1000 mV, 1592 MHz
GPU Score: 6894 (+6.5% compared to stock)
Peak Sustained Core Clock: 1525 MHz
Peak Sustained Power Usage: 160 W

Associate
I tried those lower voltages you use and managed to pass Time Spy. Obviously still need to test real games over the next few weeks to see real stability but another 20 W saved for a 1.5% drop in performance. Should allow the card to stay cooler too!

Balanced
GPU Score: 6989 (+8.0% compared to stock)

Cool N Quiet
P6: 950 mV, 1537 MHz
P7: 1000 mV, 1592 MHz
GPU Score: 6894 (+6.5% compared to stock)
Peak Sustained Core Clock: 1525 MHz
Peak Sustained Power Usage: 160 W

Beats the 1080 in power usage :)
Whenever I decide on a waterblock it be interesting to find out what the card can do.
I might wait for Navi though as it might be a upgrade at a lower power and price.

Soldato
I can only get the hbm to 940. It crashes at 950 in Timespy. (Hynix)

It (pulse) clocks to a P7 of 1652 at 1100mv though which gets me a gfx score of 7311 on timespy.

Back
Top Bottom