***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
One final addition to my old squier jazz bass from a few pages back - replaced the shaller copy machine-heads with Hipshot HB7's. Close enough to be a drop in replacement regarding mounting and screw holes etc.
Not really much to see, they're machine-heads... :confused:
Tuning is more stable due to the finer pitch on the worm gear and sprocket, finer adjustment and all of that.

Worth the money? Eh, sure, build quality is quite a bit above the original tuners and they're a bit lighter too.

Our bands rehearsals are moving along. No gigs yet though.

One great tip for improving your playing is to record yourself. We use a digital recorder to collect the ambient sound during rehearsals; it's good for spotting where we make mistakes as a group. But for a few of our covers (judas priest - breaking the law, iron maiden - the trooper and hole -celebrity skin) we have tracked the individual parts so we can listen back with any combination of guitars, bass, drums, vocals.
It really does shine a light on your playing; where you're good ....aaand where you're not so good. I repeatedly fluff the intro to the trooper on my bass - it sounds ok along with everything else, but it doesn't stand up to the scrutiny of an isolated track. Result? Change how I'm playing that riff. Alter the RH fingering and introduce hammer-ons and pull-offs to the LH.
I look forward to recording metallicas creeping death to see how close we are to getting it right.

Must say it's funny how all of a sudden the pressure is on when you are trying to record. Even if only for the purpose of dialing in the sound and ironing out some little mistakes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hello all, this has probably already been asked but what modern resources are there to help a complete beginner take up the guitar? I've heard of yousician is it any good?

I have an acoustic Squire guitar which I've had since the early 2000's played for a while didn't get particularly good and haven't really touched it in the last 14 years! I'd like to have another bash at it!

Buy yourself and electric mate, get a good setup at a shop and learn some chords...:)

Easier to play than an acoustic , thinner strings and lower action.

Man of Honour
One great tip for improving your playing is to record yourself.

For at least two decades I video the session which really highlights problems.
The sound man will record separate audio channels on his digital mixer and when a debate breaks out about mistakes he can highlight one instrument to prove or disprove which again is an amazing tool.
For instance in one of my bands we have a member who really can't hear when he's making a mistake but when you play it back his face changes.

Associate
Hello all, this has probably already been asked but what modern resources are there to help a complete beginner take up the guitar? I've heard of yousician is it any good?

I have an acoustic Squire guitar which I've had since the early 2000's played for a while didn't get particularly good and haven't really touched it in the last 14 years! I'd like to have another bash at it!

I've just started learning myself via resources online and I'd really recommend justinguitar.com - it's free and has loads of lessons at different levels.

I've got an echo with a free metronome skill which is handy when switching between timings while still playing.

Man of Honour

Very soon I've got to learn 10 songs and my first point of call will be the pro version of Ultimate Guitar, I was fortunate to get it for £23 for life.
This will show all the chords, fingering and features a guitar neck so you can see it playing.
If I have difficulties there I can always go to You Tube where somebody will have a keyboard/guitar lesson for the song.

Soldato
Could someone recommend me a portable audio interface that would be compatible with an iPad and PC please? Something £100 or less would be great if possible, just no idea what's out there. It's just for practice use with Amplitube or similar.

Man of Honour
OP
God, Paul Gilbert has totally lost it. I am (was?) probably of his biggest fans in the world back in the Spaceship One era but his new stuff is an utter snorefest to me :(

Nooooooo what happened!!! Noooooo.

This is more like it:

Remember when Paul Gilbert was awesome and rocked!!!! \m/,

Edit: @Gustov your thoughts?

Man of Honour
OP
Was it like the Yngwie tuition video where you put your guitar down after the first arpeggio :)
Ha no it was quite amazing in many ways. We did a Jam in e and and a... thankfully I practiced the crap out of them before hand. I was still terrible. He answered many questions of mine though:

Why does it just sound like I’m playing notes in a scale rather than something musical?

Try playing fewer notes and keep to the same notes. You can stick to just two notes and sound musical *does exactly that blowing my tiny mind*

I also asked him a very technical question on pinch harmonica and pick angle and he broke it down into me playing four notes in a row at a snail place and me doing a pinch on the fourth again and again in front of 5 people. Probably the most embarrassing moment of my life. He was kind about it though :o :p

Soldato
Buy yourself and electric mate, get a good setup at a shop and learn some chords...:)

Easier to play than an acoustic , thinner strings and lower action.
Don't do this, while it's all true you should get the type of guitar you want to play be it accoustic or electric.

My number one piece of advice would be get some lessons from a good teacher I mucked about for years but have found it much easier to progress and learn from someone. Internet lessons won't give you individual feedback and guidance everyone has different challenges. Plus the weekly lesson has made me knuckle down and practice properly otherwise there is no point going!

Man of Honour
Don't do this, while it's all true you should get the type of guitar you want to play be it accoustic or electric.

My main Yamaha acoustic plays as good as any of my electrics and I have a few 'named' guitars.
If I could get a MIDI pickup to fit it I would take that on stage with me.

(Yeah I would have problems doing solo's past the 15th fret).

Soldato
My main Yamaha acoustic plays as good as any of my electrics and I have a few 'named' guitars.
If I could get a MIDI pickup to fit it I would take that on stage with me.

(Yeah I would have problems doing solo's past the 15th fret).
What strings do you play? Even my really well setup accoustic with 11's on it is much more physically demanding than any electric I've ever played with 9's and most people put 12's on accoustic!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom