Wireless Headphones for films/TV - Sennheiser RS?

Associate
Looking for some advice as I'm not very well educated with most matters audio! I have a pair of Arctis 7's for PC gaming which I really like but they can't be used wirelessly for other devices so I thought I'd treat myself for Christmas.

I was looking at the Sennheiser RS185's as I hear everyone banging on about "open-back" headphones and they are within budget with decent reviews.

Any recommendations?

Thankyoooooooou.

Soldato
RS185 is what I would myself get for wireless headphone being used to good open headphone sound.
Not that there are much of open wireless headphones...

Just remember that open headphones need quiet environment, or you'll easily hear background noises.

Soldato
Yes there's loads with open back, and no isolation of background noise.

I have the older version of these, the RS170 I think? They're decent but the noise-floor is ruined by a horrible whine, it's worth checking if this is present on the newer ones as I wouldn't get them again if I had the choice. Don't get me wrong, I love them (for wireless), but that whine is super annoying on quiet scenes (not to mention cut outs).

For me, closed back is better for gaming and movies. Hearing everything going on around you reduces immersion imo, not to mention everyone can hear what you're listening to. Also, unless you're spending big dollar, the bass will have less weight with open back (watch the can-bangers jump on me for that one). The only time I enjoy open back is sitting in peace in a quiet room, chilling in a comfy chair on my own.

I have the Sony MDR-RF6500 in the lounge, and I really, really like them. Super comfortable, good range, great sound. I don't know if you can still get them, but for the money I absolutely love them. Compact stand and Optical in. Couldn't recommend them enough.

Soldato
Is there really that much leakage from "outside" noise pollution?

Yes there's loads with open back, and no isolation of background noise.

I was looking at the Sennheiser RS185's as I hear everyone banging on about "open-back" headphones and they are within budget with decent reviews.

I have the older version of these, the RS170 I think? They're decent but the noise-floor is ruined by a horrible whine, it's worth checking if this is present on the newer ones as I wouldn't get them again if I had the choice. Don't get me wrong, I love them (for wireless), but that whine is super annoying on quiet scenes (not to mention cut outs).

For me, closed back is better for gaming and movies. Hearing everything going on around you reduces immersion imo, (the clack of your keyboard, the click if your mouse, the roar of your computer, the kids fighting because you should be watching them etc etc) not to mention everyone can hear what you're listening to. Also, unless you're spending big dollar, the bass will have less weight with open back (watch the can-bangers jump on me for that one). The only time I enjoy open back is sitting in peace in a quiet room, chilling in a comfy chair on my own.

I have the Sony MDR-RF6500 in the lounge, and I really, really like them. Super comfortable, good range, great sound. I don't know if you can still get them, but for the money I absolutely love them. Compact stand and Optical in. Couldn't recommend them enough.

Associate
No whine. But i do get the Hiss in the background when headphones are on silent but i put that down been plugged into my PC and the cable. I don't use them as much for music now cause i have my Audeze LCD2-C. But for the money there great cans for movies i need to set them up again for the TV in living room for movies the bass is great on them you can really hear explosions and speech is clear. If your looking for Wireless cans for movies then the RS range are good value. Id go for the RS175 though if its for TV and movies there connected via optical

Soldato
No whine. But i do get the Hiss in the background when headphones are on silent but i put that down been plugged into my PC and the cable. I don't use them as much for music now cause i have my Audeze LCD2-C. But for the money there great cans for movies i need to set them up again for the TV in living room for movies the bass is great on them you can really hear explosions and speech is clear. If your looking for Wireless cans for movies then the RS range are good value. Id go for the RS175 though if its for TV and movies there connected via optical

Must only afflict the old ones. I have the RS170, and they’re excellent, except for the whine on quiet scenes. They sit on my desk for movies and gaming on the PC, although these days I mostly forego wireless convenience and use my Momentum 2.0 instead.

The RS170s will probably end up in the lounge with my Sony’s, as a backup.

The Audeze LCD2-C are a lovely, lovely set of cans. Are you enjoying them?

Associate
Yep the Audeze are Amazing im using them with Magni 3 which is getting changed even though the Magni 3 is great for the price ive just ordered the Lyr 3 and Modi Multibit with the Eitr. Things needed changing on my desk lol

Soldato
Yep the Audeze are Amazing im using them with Magni 3 which is getting changed even though the Magni 3 is great for the price ive just ordered the Lyr 3 and Modi Multibit with the Eitr. Things needed changing on my desk lol

Very nice. I've always run mine off my AV, since that's been retired I'm just dipping my toe into this stuff. Ordered a Yulong Daart; all my headphones are pretty low resistance (and not that expensive!).

I'm concerned this is going to become another expensive hobby.

Back
Top Bottom