External amp+dac combo or internal sound card for m50x?

Associate
Hi! I have bought m50x, i just connected it to my onboard and it sounds ok but i think my m50x does not reach its full potential from my onboard, do you think getting a external amp+dac unit will increase the quality and most importantly BASS?

I won't use it for gaming because i already have a good gaming headset for gaming.I want it to listen musics more clearly and bassy.

My mobo is asus h81m-c and sound chip is Realtek® ALC887-VD.

Soldato
FiiO E10K, would likely be the best choice. I'm not sure those headphones gain a great deal from a headphone amp, but the E10K does have a bass boost switch which should help if an increase in bass is important.

If that isn't enough, then it would be best to look at other headphones, because a DAC/amp can only do so much.

Soldato
ATH-M50X has ludicrously low power requirement, so about any output should drive it to hearing damage starting in minutes level.
Wouldn't wonder if you could hear AC hum by touching tip with one hand and ring or sleeve with other hand. (with you being antenna for "receiving signal")

Though in technical signal quality capabilities that ALC887 is at very basic level, even if implementation on motherboard is as good as possible.
So in that there should be lots of room for improvement.
Even budget sound cards would be class higher.

Though for bass that headphone shouldn't need any buff, being closed and tuned for strong bass.
While clarity of sound isn't likely great no matter the signal source.
300Hz square wave response shows it struggling to cope with simultaneous frequencies on top of lower frequency.
Wave top should be flattish/level in "average" instead of such huge drop from early spike to slowly rise again:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50x.pdf

It's simply made for fashionable bass boom sound and not accurate sound.
Which can in certain sen be actually detrimental for "music enjoyment"...
Like accurate sound of some accordion/brass band having those very sharp "piercing" notes.
(again for gaming to distinguish environment from sounds that accuracy is needed)

Associate
OP
FiiO E10K, would likely be the best choice. I'm not sure those headphones gain a great deal from a headphone amp, but the E10K does have a bass boost switch which should help if an increase in bass is important.

If that isn't enough, then it would be best to look at other headphones, because a DAC/amp can only do so much.

Thank you.

ATH-M50X has ludicrously low power requirement, so about any output should drive it to hearing damage starting in minutes level.
Wouldn't wonder if you could hear AC hum by touching tip with one hand and ring or sleeve with other hand. (with you being antenna for "receiving signal")

Though in technical signal quality capabilities that ALC887 is at very basic level, even if implementation on motherboard is as good as possible.
So in that there should be lots of room for improvement.
Even budget sound cards would be class higher.

Though for bass that headphone shouldn't need any buff, being closed and tuned for strong bass.
While clarity of sound isn't likely great no matter the signal source.
300Hz square wave response shows it struggling to cope with simultaneous frequencies on top of lower frequency.
Wave top should be flattish/level in "average" instead of such huge drop from early spike to slowly rise again:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50x.pdf

It's simply made for fashionable bass boom sound and not accurate sound.
Which can in certain sen be actually detrimental for "music enjoyment"...
Like accurate sound of some accordion/brass band having those very sharp "piercing" notes.
(again for gaming to distinguish environment from sounds that accuracy is needed)

Thank you for giving me such information,if im not mistaken as you said,even a budget amp dac combo will be way better than my current onboard ALC887 right? would fiio k3 be a good choice? or e10k?

Back
Top Bottom