What are the 30 year old plus gamers playing?

Caporegime
Just got subnautica free via the epic store and really enojoying it.

Been through PUBG phase and then BF1 this year but finding I just don't have the reactions for twitch shooters anymore and BF1 whilst pretty got old fast.

Soldato
Strangely getting more into BF 5. Once you get the hang of it there is a lot of tactics that work well even with my Rambo approach to the game. As in bf2142, if you shoot a tank in the rear it is in a world of pain and most people make no real use of cover and line of sight.

Associate
Legends of aria (plays a little like UO)

I backed it ages ago and for a time pretty much forgot about it.
They recently did their final server wipes before the game goes early access on steam.
Bit rough around the edges still, but some real nostalgic vibes playing it.

Soldato
Blown away by Project Cars 2.

It literally is like watching TV sometimes, with those post-race replays.

Running it at 2K, all settings on ultra and it really is gorgeous :eek:

its a good game, definitely got the eye candy. If it did FFB, handling physics and SFX like Assetto Corsa and nailed the AI, it would have been one of the best Racing games of all time. A missed opportunity I found, I did play loads of it in the early days though.

Fast forward to 5:20 for some of the most realistic replay cameras and best SFX I've ever experienced in sim racing.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm a total noob when it comes to cars and I like the driver assists and the engineering help.

So does Asseto Corsa have all those things you listed and what's the difference?

I actually picked PCars 2 because it was in the latest Humble Bundle and it only cost me 12$

Soldato
I'm a total noob when it comes to cars and I like the driver assists and the engineering help.

So does Asseto Corsa have all those things you listed and what's the difference?

I actually picked PCars 2 because it was in the latest Humble Bundle and it only cost me 12$

if you are happy with pCARS2 then stick with that, if you are a "total noob" then to be honest i doubt you will miss the improved handling etc that AC has anyway. .... esp once you put the driver aids on.. and as said earlier, the career in pCARS2 is much better put together.

That said to answer your question, yes AC has all the driving assists you can shake a stick at.... there are car settings you can tweak (i do not bother as i just race with friends and we all keep at stock to keep it fair).... AC does not feature car upgrades as such however.

I would say AC is definitely the better racing/driving sim out of the 2, but pCARS2 is the better "game" if that makes sense. (just my view i am sure others will disagree).

whilst both support VR, the VR in pCARS2 is better, again imo.

Associate
Ok cool, thanks.

Yes, never having really been into racing games (other than an F1 game about 15 years ago... Can't remember which one it was), I'm definitely after a more 'lite' game.

Onto the second stage of the Ginetta G40 career ladder now :)

Soldato
if you are happy with pCARS2 then stick with that, if you are a "total noob" then to be honest i doubt you will miss the improved handling etc that AC has anyway. .... esp once you put the driver aids on.. and as said earlier, the career in pCARS2 is much better put together.

That said to answer your question, yes AC has all the driving assists you can shake a stick at.... there are car settings you can tweak (i do not bother as i just race with friends and we all keep at stock to keep it fair).... AC does not feature car upgrades as such however.

I would say AC is definitely the better racing/driving sim out of the 2, but pCARS2 is the better "game" if that makes sense. (just my view i am sure others will disagree).

whilst both support VR, the VR in pCARS2 is better, again imo.

From my brief time with AC2 I'd agree it's not as noob friendly but I always recall that the feedback from more "slippery" cars felt a lot more real.

I stepped down from playing racing sims after a big stint when PC2 launched, but have purchased a Fanatec CS Elite and P1 Elite wheel, along with the Elite pedals and load cell to replace my G27 for Christmas, can't wait to use it over the hols :)(Did think about raising to ClubSport, but wanted the shifter and accessories and it came to more than I was willing to part with).

Soldato
I have a fanatec GT2 wheel and the clubsport pedals myself. fantastic but not cheap!. the GT2 is definitely not longer the apex wheel it once was but the clubsport pedals i think are still tough to beat.

i also have the shifter units, i got them cheap 2nd hand but cant use them, something has happened to the coating on them and they just feel sticky, water cant get it off. i need to look into a solvent which will clean them up

sorry a bit of a segue there.

PS i started JC3 yesterday. i enjoyed both 1 and 2 so #3 was a safe bet and does not dissapoint. it is shallow and repetitive but i just love blowing stuff up. one to keep coming back to in short stints i think

Caporegime
Well heres a laugh for yers, playing Dead Space, im on Chapter 7, just done the Beacon on the Asteroid, and ive just discovered, that those green boxes all over the shop, with the flashing lights on em, are ammo crates and that, i thought they were just like tracking beacons, for you to find yer way around, so i aint picked any up till now, so ive missed an absolute hoarde of the buggers! :D :( :p

I only found out, as i grabbed one by mistake with the kinetic job, and flung it, where it burst, and revealed some ammo :D

Soldato
Well heres a laugh for yers, playing Dead Space, im on Chapter 7, just done the Beacon on the Asteroid, and ive just discovered, that those green boxes all over the shop, with the flashing lights on em, are ammo crates and that, i thought they were just like tracking beacons, for you to find yer way around, so i aint picked any up till now, so ive missed an absolute hoarde of the buggers! :D :( :p

I only found out, as i grabbed one by mistake with the kinetic job, and flung it, where it burst, and revealed some ammo :D

Hahahahaha, you absolute pleb! That's brilliant, how on earth did you get so far on limited ammo? And if memory serves, don't you get some form of scrap or something from them? Or at least stuff to sell to help upgrade armour?

Soldato
Just started Civ6. Seemed dumbed down compared to previous games but getting into it now.

I hate that Wonders take up whole hexes now, but do like Districts.

Just launched a satellite. In 1760.

Soldato
39 here. Rarely if ever multiplayer, 5 year old in the house makes that very hard at the best of times.

Currently playing (single player): Cities Skylines, Wreckfest, RDR2 and just started Monster Hunter World.

Associate
its a good game, definitely got the eye candy. If it did FFB, handling physics and SFX like Assetto Corsa and nailed the AI, it would have been one of the best Racing games of all time. A missed opportunity I found, I did play loads of it in the early days though.

Fast forward to 5:20 for some of the most realistic replay cameras and best SFX I've ever experienced in sim racing.

Love that car and sound mod, great choice to showcase AC but for me the best sound comes from raceroom, absolutely insane.

Yes pcars and pcars 2 are definitely bottom of the pile in simracing for pure physics and ffb both of which are the biggest factors of an immersive sim.
AC is great as is rfactor 2 and raceroom but for me the best of them all is Automobilista, absolutely sublime physics and ffb.

Paul from RD done a nice feature on mini challenge from it recently and is wetting himself having rediscovered this sim.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom