BMW and M Power Owners

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Nice. I was suspecting they would go soon as it’s starting being a bit jerky on 60-70% throttle when pulling away.

I replaced mine with the rebuild ones - the difference is unbelievable. Ben said that's the reaction of most people, they don't "just go" they usually fail very slowly over a period of time until eventually the car gives up and/or the mosfets fail. There was no evidence mine had ever been replaced and I had one or two of the hallmark symptoms before the car starts to fail into limp mode so I just got them done. Takes 30 mins max and is worth every penny. I'd be interested to know if you notice a difference with yours or not.

Soldato
Was thinking the other day regarding the 7-Series, and cars of its ilk. Are they becoming increasingly margainalised? To my untrained eyes, the 5-series seems so well built, spacious and equipped that there must be less and less reason to buy a 7 now.

I guess the appeal is the exclusivity, the LWB versions and some of the more esoteric options which perhaps only feature on the 7. Is the 760 still available? A V12 is another selling point of course, but there must be tiny numbers of these shifted. Niches aside though, 730d Vs 530d...much gained? Is material quality/standard features significantly better?

Caporegime
Was thinking the other day regarding the 7-Series, and cars of its ilk. Are they becoming increasingly margainalised? To my untrained eyes, the 5-series seems so well built, spacious and equipped that there must be less and less reason to buy a 7 now.

I guess the appeal is the exclusivity, the LWB versions and some of the more esoteric options which perhaps only feature on the 7. Is the 760 still available? A V12 is another selling point of course, but there must be tiny numbers of these shifted. Niches aside though, 730d Vs 530d...much gained? Is material quality/standard features significantly better?

I've got a 5 series and to me I wouldn't want anything larger just from a parking point of view. The 5 series is a very well rounded package, if a bit dull/wafty (which is kind of the point).

Soldato
I am in a predicament. I have gone backwards and forwards on this so many times but I still can’t make my mind up. I am torn between an e60 535d non lci and the Alpina D3 MonoTurbo. Both decent examples though probably the lower end of the market.

My head says the e60 will be better in every way but my heart says I have to scratch the D3 itch. Funnily enough the person who’s selling the D3 I’m looking to go view has put a deposit on a 535d..so maybe that’s a sign.

I am well and truly torn. Please help.

Man of Honour
Neither. The D3 single turbo is a disgrace to the Alpina brand and the E60 535d is a total liability.

There should be no D3 itch to scratch. It's rubbish.

Soldato
Neither. The D3 single turbo is a disgrace to the Alpina brand and the E60 535d is a total liability.

There should be no D3 itch to scratch. It's rubbish.

Just out of interest have you ever driven a D3?

I could stretch to the D3 Bi turbo but having read up on the timing chain issues it doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Soldato
I’ve read so many times that a 6cyl is much better.

I’ve never been one to get hung over spec. I can live without certain things which isn’t the issue. I have no issue with getting a car that doesn’t have idrive, leathers, heated seats etc Its never been a forefront of my purchases. Not having xenon projectors is a bit of a hit but again I can live without.

I have yet to drive an d3 but when I have driven a msport 330d I always found that the suspension was very stiff, I can’t say this was with runflats or alternative tyres.

I’ve read the d3 drives much better. It seems more sharper and the ride is also much better to, this has also been said by owners I’ve spoken to on forums/social media. On the bright side they don’t seem to sell as quickly and maybe I’ll manage to get a bargain somewhat if I do decide to go for one.

Soldato
Just looking into apple carplay. Do you really have to pay £85/year to use it?

So it turns out that yes, this is true. I had been considering changing from Android to iOS, one of the reasons being carplay, but if BMW are putting up a paywall to access a completely free service then I guess not.

Doesn't sit well with me at all that. Pure greed, but I bet people pay it because they don't know better. Is this common practice across the industry?

Man of Honour
I find it incredibly bizarre. I am happy to pay for real-time traffic for example but this feels like being asked to pay per year for your automatic wipers...

Soldato
Whoever had the brilliant idea of fitting a 52 litre fuel tank to BMW M2...when the TT had 60 litres its shocking.

I'd be lucky to get 260 miles out of a tank.

Agreed. It's really irritating. You'd think I'd be used to it - I was doing a ton more miles in the M, and was filling up every other day. At least then I had a reason to. The M2 seems constantly on empty and I hardly do any miles now.

Soldato
It’s not really that small. No big outlyers from those. Big one I know was Range Rover as the ground clearance allowed 110L, that soon started to get degraded with urea tanks etc.

Range is a frustration as a result of the CO2 push a decade ago. Many eco versions have foam baffles to allow a lighter test mass for NEDC at the time.

Soldato
Still really don't understand no android auto.... They even use android tablets in rear screen entertainment in 7 series and I assume X7!!

To make it even funnier the new BMW 3 series can unlock with your phone, which doesn't work with iPhones :D. Thanks to Apple not unlocking the NFC chip to 3rd party apps.

Back
Top Bottom