What game did you play last?

Associate
That's a lot better than the 95 from Amazon! Have you played it yet?

Not yet. It's due to arrive tomorrow. :D

My new gaming group and I started Gloomhaven last year; we're 2 missions in :p, so I'll have to see if I can convince them to give FCM a whirl too. At work we have regular bi-weekly board game evenings but I fear it could be one that could easily take up the whole evening. Maybe if I plan it with a few folks in advance and ask them to also read up on the rules setup & play might be a little easier ... we'll see!

Soldato
Not yet. It's due to arrive tomorrow. :D

My new gaming group and I started Gloomhaven last year; we're 2 missions in :p, so I'll have to see if I can convince them to give FCM a whirl too. At work we have regular bi-weekly board game evenings but I fear it could be one that could easily take up the whole evening. Maybe if I plan it with a few folks in advance and ask them to also read up on the rules setup & play might be a little easier ... we'll see!
How are you finding Gloomhaven? It's top of my list if the new reprint happens this month as rumours seem to be.

Associate
How are you finding Gloomhaven? It's top of my list if the new reprint happens this month as rumours seem to be.

We're enjoying it. We failed the first mission at the beginning but we had good fun redoing it & then the following one. I do have an issue that all my boards have their printed paper coming off them; hoping to get replacements or find a suitable spray glue to try and fix them up.

I'd recommend a insert of some kind. I went for one of the cheap Folded Space ones due to the low cost and it being super-duper easy to assemble. I've usually used Broken Token ones, but the cost of those sometimes puts me off.
dbeAzw3.png

UKqqQlF.png

gfJrsw3.png

Soldato
Had a little night playing games with the wife and kids. Got through Rhino Hero which the kids adore, got our highest tower yet before my daughter got excited and knocked it over :p Played Cat Chaos, daft little card game but the kids always enjoy it as it's straightforward and they both like cats. Then had a game of Labrynth which is another family favourite though with the kids it's more collaborative and helping each other finish rather than stitching each other up. Finished on another run of Fireball Island, was a bit much for the littlest (just shy of 5) and my son didn't enjoy me blitzing him with the fireballs but that drama aside it is a fun game which I think will quickly become a mainstay on our little game nights.

Tempted by City of Zombies and maybe Smash Up as next two family games, got my eye on the Gloomhaven reprint for myself :p

Soldato
Had a little night playing games with the wife and kids. Got through Rhino Hero which the kids adore, got our highest tower yet before my daughter got excited and knocked it over :p Played Cat Chaos, daft little card game but the kids always enjoy it as it's straightforward and they both like cats. Then had a game of Labrynth which is another family favourite though with the kids it's more collaborative and helping each other finish rather than stitching each other up. Finished on another run of Fireball Island, was a bit much for the littlest (just shy of 5) and my son didn't enjoy me blitzing him with the fireballs but that drama aside it is a fun game which I think will quickly become a mainstay on our little game nights.

Tempted by City of Zombies and maybe Smash Up as next two family games, got my eye on the Gloomhaven reprint for myself :p
Rhino Hero was one I was looking at for the kids also, we played Sheriff of Nottingham and they enjoyed it, although I think they are a tad young they enjoyed playing the sheriff none the less :D

maj

maj

Soldato
Skull tonight with the girlfriend's family. First time any of us had played it but I had seen a play through on Youtube. Seemed to go down well and is fairly quick to play but the rules don't clearly state what is supposed to happen if all players have played their cards and no one has challenged up till that point. We also changed it so you played with all cards facedown so none of us knew what card we had just played just to add to the fun.

Associate
We're enjoying it. We failed the first mission at the beginning but we had good fun redoing it & then the following one. I do have an issue that all my boards have their printed paper coming off them; hoping to get replacements or find a suitable spray glue to try and fix them up.

I'd recommend a insert of some kind. I went for one of the cheap Folded Space ones due to the low cost and it being super-duper easy to assemble. I've usually used Broken Token ones, but the cost of those sometimes puts me off.
dbeAzw3.png

UKqqQlF.png

gfJrsw3.png

That looks really good... not bad for £30 - Ive hot a pre order for the 4th run - whenever that hits the shops. Might pick that up, heard the game is a beast with setup/break down times.

EDIT

We've been playing Escape the Dark castle - all my KS pledge arrived, decent game hard as sin though!

Then the little one got My first StoneAge / Ticket to Ride / Labyrinth.

Prior to xmas my friends KS copy of Nemisis arrived - only managed 1 game myself due to work, but the group got a good 4+ games in. It seems to play decent, captures the theme of been helplessly un-equipped vs aliens very well - gutted i didnt back it!

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone played elder sign before? Two things as I don't own it.

Do you win with a combined total of the tokens, or is it the first player to reach the total on his/her own? Also, the monster on a small white bordered square seems to be the same as putting a monster on the empty white border rectangles. Is there any difference as the rules seem to state the same thing? Is it the case where its easier on the rectangles as you just need the rolls for the monster itself as opposed to perhaps a normal square plus the monster roll and that's the only change?

Soldato
I got Scythe last week. Played about half of a game of it due to being tired and kids playing up but seemed pretty good from what i can make of it. At first it all seemed very confusing with all the player boards actions an wooden bits to place etc but once you have a few turns it all seemed logical. All being well I will try out solo tonight with the Automa rules.

Man of Honour
Most recently:
Sagrada - Beautiful game, not the easiest to play with older people.
Azul - Possibly my favourite game of the year. Pretty simple, but can be so frustrating
Guillotine - Chopping heads of the french. What's not to like?

Soldato
Pandemic: Fall of Rome
So the barbarians from invading Rome rather than curing a disease. Really enjoyed this, more than Iberia and standard Pandemic.

Fallout: the board game
Played all the standard missions now that come with the base game. Probably my favorite of our collection right now. Got the New California expansion to start on soon.

Betrayal : Legacy
Not sure how I feel about this, its heavily stacked against the players and seems to be in favour of the traitor in that you have to explore the house but not enough time to prepare for the inevitable.

Associate
@Bickaxe ah that's good to know, all 3 are on my to buy list :D.

Picked up a couple of games last week, Terraforming Mars, Food Chain Magnate, Mint Works, Mint Delivery & the couple of Five Tribes expansions that I was missing.

Last Thurs I played Gizmos. I'd not heard of it before but it was simple to pick up & play during the work lunch hour. It's nice tableau builder for 2-4 players. Some marbles were intent on trying to escape! :D
Also played a 2P game of Terraforming Mars yesterday. Was good fun, will be thinking about taking it into the work board game evening this week.

I need to sit down and read the Food Chain Magnate rules & maybe get some sleeves for the cards. :)

Soldato

Picked up a couple of games last week, Terraforming Mars, Food Chain Magnate, Mint Works, Mint Delivery & the couple of Five Tribes expansions that I was missing.

Last Thurs I played Gizmos. I'd not heard of it before but it was simple to pick up & play during the work lunch hour. It's nice tableau builder for 2-4 players. Some marbles were intent on trying to escape! :D
Also played a 2P game of Terraforming Mars yesterday. Was good fun, will be thinking about taking it into the work board game evening this week.

I need to sit down and read the Food Chain Magnate rules & maybe get some sleeves for the cards. :)
My collection has expanded massively over the last couple of months,
Smallworld
King of Tokyo
Descent 2nd edition (Was between this and imperial assault but I prefer the fantasy setting)
Terraforming Mars
Formula D
Rising Sun
Sheriff of Nottingham
Takenoko

On my list to get in the next few months is Gloomhaven. Maybe Twilight Imperium. Then I'm done for the year! Also backed Tainted Grail on Kickstarter.

Associate
Little tip for you : players can rest during a fight, they recover 1hp but obviously can't roll dice.

Once we realised this the game became a lot easier.

Aye we was doing that, bad draw on cards/ rolls though haha.

Won 2 games out of 6 now though - going to start playing about with some of the expansion stuff now.

Soldato

If you want to enjoy FCM I suggest reading a basic opening strategy guide and sharing the recommendations with the other players. It's quite easy to run out of money if you're not careful. The Great Zimbabwe is much more forgiving, although you may still lose from early poor decisions you will at least get to play.

If you like Gizmos, check out Barenpark and Gingerbread House from the same designer. I've also heard good things about Imhotep, but I never played that one.

Associate
Good to know, I could print some hints and tips for people. :)

I played Imhotep when I was in Belgium but although there isn't much card text, trying to read Dutch when you have zero proficiency doesn't really help :p. I thought it was OK, but I think I'd need to give a fresh go with an English copy.

Back
Top Bottom