What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Birdbox - Not sure where all the hype has come from it was very run of the mill and some of the characters were shocking especially the 2nd pregnant lady. After seeing how the book ends I sorta wish we had that ending instead.

Soldato
Midnight Sun

It's more of your teenage love story in the veins of The Faults of Our Stars, A Walk to Remember etc, cliche, cringe worth at times, predictable, acting is so so and there is nothing new but I loved it. I found myself getting emotional in the last 5 mins and I couldn't stop it so it did something right.

It's not a great film but the 12 year old girl in me loved it.

In a similar vein, we watched a form called Life Itself on Saturday. Thought it was great.

Will pull at your 12yr old heart strings.

Soldato
eat local - 1/10 - garbage british vampire 'comedy'
thoroughbreds - 8/10 - pretty decent black comedy with great performances
rampage - 7/10 - turn your brain off and its actually not bad for a mindless action movie

Soldato
Patient Zero - 3/10.

I love the zombie genre and read a book called Patient Zero - nothing like the book unfortunately. It was interesting premise, but was dreadful, especially Matt Smiths american accent! Stanley Tucci was very good, but was also very wasted in this role.

Poor effects, v cheesy dialogue; shame as i hoped this would be good :(

Soldato
Patient Zero - 3/10.

I love the zombie genre and read a book called Patient Zero - nothing like the book unfortunately. It was interesting premise, but was dreadful, especially Matt Smiths american accent! Stanley Tucci was very good, but was also very wasted in this role.

Exactly my opinion.

Very poor film. I can only imagine Stanley Tucci was doing a mate a favour appearing in this garbage.

If you like zombie films, cargo is much better than this dross.

Permabanned
Bird Box

A cool premise exceptionally poorly executed. I didn't hate it, nor did I think it was particularly bad, but it felt like such wasted opportunity given the central themes and ideas that lie at the heart of the film. Felt like a mix between A Quiet Place and The Mist, but with none of the good Direction or excellent pacing those two movies have. Nahhhh.

Mary Poppins Returns

Truly delightful from start to finish. Perhaps not quite as prolific in style as the original, but it never promised to be. It instead conflates much of what made it's predecessor great with it's own cute and chirpy little narrative. Good stuff!

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

If I see a better movie this year then I will literally eat my dog. Enough said.

Soldato
Bird Box

A cool premise exceptionally poorly executed. I didn't hate it, nor did I think it was particularly bad, but it felt like such wasted opportunity given the central themes and ideas that lie at the heart of the film. Felt like a mix between A Quiet Place and The Mist, but with none of the good Direction or excellent pacing those two movies have. Nahhhh.
I find it very interesting how successful this has been. It really is a poor man's A Quiet Place. Although enjoyable, it's really not a patch on it.

I find it interesting how Netflix must be rubbing their hands with glee that they can make something like that "go viral" and get 45m views. Pretty crazy and certainly helps them in their quest to be the 7th big movie studio.

Soldato
Patient Zero - 3/10.

Utter car crash of a movie and I do wonder how the the cast were roped into it.

Soldato
find it interesting how Netflix must be rubbing their hands with glee that they can make something like that "go viral" and get 45m views. Pretty crazy and certainly helps them in their quest to be the 7th big movie studio.

Netflix did more revenue than Fox and Warner combined in 2018, purely in financial terms, they're already in the top 5.

Soldato
Netflix did more revenue than Fox and Warner combined in 2018, purely in financial terms, they're already in the top 5.
Can open, worms everywhere. Are they really a film studio if they're not releasing in cinemas (properly) ;)

They're also in a shed load of debt, so whether or not they can make a success of their originals still remains to be seen. It's all very interesting.

Soldato
Can open, worms everywhere. Are they really a film studio if they're not releasing in cinemas (properly) ;)

They're also in a shed load of debt, so whether or not they can make a success of their originals still remains to be seen. It's all very interesting.

I agree with you completely, I was just shocked when i saw how much they did in 2018.

The quality of their originals is dropping rapidly over the last 12 months. I think you said it best, get a mediocre idea, add a big star, make it viral...profit. I'd rather we had 10% of the content and higher quality.

Soldato
Together with the fact that Disney is about to pull all their content (Marvel, Star Wars are the headliners but there's tons of TV too) Netflix really need to up their game with the Originals. But to be fair to them, they seem to know that.

Associate
Together with the fact that Disney is about to pull all their content (Marvel, Star Wars are the headliners but there's tons of TV too) Netflix really need to up their game with the Originals. But to be fair to them, they seem to know that.

The Disney thing is frustrating. Yay, another streaming service, just what we need. :rolleyes:

To be fair, if competition drives subscription prices down then that would be great, but I don't see it happening. Just another service defined by its exclusives and charging a premium for them.

Soldato
Yeah you have to remember that in the US for example people pay shedloads for cable. Therefore paying £10 times 4-5 different streaming services instead really isn't that big of a deal. For the rest of us where we're used to the BBC and Freeview... well...

I'm sure NBCUniversal will come up with something soon too. There's a lot of content there, both TV and film.

Associate
I find it very interesting how successful this has been. It really is a poor man's A Quiet Place. Although enjoyable, it's really not a patch on it.

I find it interesting how Netflix must be rubbing their hands with glee that they can make something like that "go viral" and get 45m views. Pretty crazy and certainly helps them in their quest to be the 7th big movie studio.
Watched it a few nights ago, thought it was pretty lame and really a crap rip off of A Quiet Place.
We watch a few Netflix films and to be honest the quality of them recently with the exception of a few films 'Calibre and Ballad of Buster Scruggs' are pretty poor, to be honest I feel these movies would go nowhere at the cinema. Kind of like a straight to video/dvd release of years gone by.

Caporegime
Watched it a few nights ago, thought it was pretty lame and really a crap rip off of A Quiet Place.
We watch a few Netflix films and to be honest the quality of them recently with the exception of a few films 'Calibre and Ballad of Buster Scruggs' are pretty poor, to be honest I feel these movies would go nowhere at the cinema. Kind of like a straight to video/dvd release of years gone by.

I thought Ballad of Buster Scruggs was very dissapointing myself. Most are straight to DVD, some are not bad though.

Watched Cam not so long ago, that wasn't too bad.

Back
Top Bottom