Mk 3 Focus ST alternatives

Soldato
Thanks all, I'll have to look into the leon again. When i originally looked (albeit briefly at a parked one in my company's car park) it didnt look much bigger than a fiesta.

I think the 1 series' are too small. I need a boot big enough for prams/ baby things but also for golf holidays so a couple of cases and golf clubs in the boot.

As said, i have had experience of focus'. My old mk 2 st was great so just want something similar but looking at all options.

I think the Focus nails these things very well, so you may be hard pushed to find something that does everything you want, at the price you're looking for.

Cupra does come up a lot, so worth checking out in more detail :)

Can't imagine the golf would have enough boot space for all you're after

Soldato
Funnily enough my wife has a mk3 focus st and is asking the same question, outside of gogolf or a3, all I could come up with was an a45 or the latest type r (some man maths here lol). It's quite a limited market really.

Just thought of one more, I wouldnt but its an option
308GTI
The depreciation on them is horrible so if you can find one it could end up being quite cheap for a relatively new / low mileage one. 270BHP etc (think may be one slightly more even)
Its same segment as Focus/Golf etc

eg, slightly over budget but look at age spec etc
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901083737420

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Just thought of one more, I wouldnt but its an option
308GTI
The depreciation on them is horrible so if you can find one it could end up being quite cheap for a relatively new / low mileage one. 270BHP etc (think may be one slightly more even)
Its same segment as Focus/Golf etc

eg, slightly over budget but look at age spec etc
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901083737420

OK if you don’t mind it being worth a pack of cigarettes in a few years.

OK if you don’t mind it being worth a pack of cigarettes in a few years.

Yes hence I mention the depreciation. although thats already taken a hiding and would do him 5 years, so even worst case 3.5k or so a year. Pretty much most of the other cars people on here are mentioning will be similar if he needs to buy now 2-3 years old and sell before its 6.

Associate
same "issue" as the M135i - the drivetrain for the rear wheels reduces boot space. If the M135i boot is too small, so will the Golf R (M135i is 360 litres and Golf R is 343 litres)

Associate
I have to admit, I'm a little lost/confused about the need for a massive boot with kids. I appreciate that things have gotten bigger with safety, but when I was a kid I remember families coping with original minis and kids - hell, my dad had a 2 seater X1/9 when I was a baby and he only got a 5 door when my brother was born.

Surely a pram will fit into any hatchback??? I moved from a MX5 to a 1 series in the fear that the gf was talking about kids - and now we're expecting one, I'm a little confused why the mention of kids suddenly moves towards estates and SUVs... yes, I fully expect to be eating these words when I'm wrestling with multiple bags and just wanting to chuck items into a space, instead of pack semi-methodically.

back to 1 series boot-space - tbh, I find it massive (but, then, I could pack a weeks shopping into a MX5 boot) and arguably more usable space than the gf's Countryman, with the 1 series lacking the height axis.

Back
Top Bottom