Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Man of Honour
260-325? Strange that the new Golf R only has 296. Less than before. Why would the GTI be more? More to the point. Could it handle that much power through the front wheels?

edit: 4 wheel drive? Where does that leave the Golf R then????

Base GTI to be 260bhp, then there's the performance pack and clubsport versions being higher.

Golf R rumoured to be going to 400bhp with the Mk8 version in 2020.
Current version is down on power from the previous one as new regs have come in. Linky Which sucks.

The 4wd, well nothing's confirmed yet, that's just what I've seen mentioned around quite a lot. It would shaft the R's sales though.

Man of Honour
Sounds like total conjecture, why would they even want the Golf R to have 400bhp? It's absolutely unnecessary in its place in the market.

Soldato
“The R brand is going extreme,” VW’s sales and marketing boss Jürgen Stackmann told Auto Express. “The role of R is that it can go beyond the rational; nobody needs a compact car with 400bhp, but is there a place [for it?]. Certainly, and that’s the turf of R.”

I can see 350 or so engine then electric boost, that said 48V will struggle with that much extra to 400.

Associate
For the last 20 to 25 years I have frequently had a Golf GTI even if I also had other cars as well. My Mk6 recently failed completely and I am shortlisting something new. I went into the dealer today to take a look at the current GTI. But I found them quite boring and a little dated. Is there due to be a new model soon?

Looked at the 7.5 GTI and was hugely disappointed, I know it is a face lift but the Audi style DRL lights and the terrible active info display and glossy interior. I love the Mk7 so will keep that as it does everything I want it to do and more and with a smile on my face.

Associate
I am looking at buying a 2006 Golf Gti, what has struck me is how few i've seen on the roads. The one i'm interested in looks in really good and seems to have a good service history. In fact all the ones ive seen for sale within by budget and outside of my budget of that age look really good. So the question is, why am i seeing so few around, is because they are generally rust buckets or the ones i see are just well looked after and have had loads of money thrown at then to keep them looking good ?

Associate
I am looking at buying a 2006 Golf Gti, what has struck me is how few i've seen on the roads. The one i'm interested in looks in really good and seems to have a good service history. In fact all the ones ive seen for sale within by budget and outside of my budget of that age look really good. So the question is, why am i seeing so few around, is because they are generally rust buckets or the ones i see are just well looked after and have had loads of money thrown at then to keep them looking good ?

It might just be where you live, I own an '07 GTI and there are another 4 or 5 that I see on a regular basis, living on the outskirts of Bristol.

If you saw mine you would wonder how it is still even running, it is in a pretty bad state.

Associate
Should i steer clear of this car

https://www.gumtree.com/p/volkswagen/2006-55-volkswagon-golf-2.0-gti-turbo-/1312056013

It has been "garaged" for 2 years and no MOT since 2106 until August 2018 which presumably the dealer had done.
I did a history check and it was CAT D 2011 stolen recovered. CAT C 2016.
Previous MOT references damaged to offside of the car. When asked the dealer if it had been in an accident he claimed not to know.
So is it a bad idea to buy it or it being CAT D and CAT C not really as bad as it seems aslong as repairs done properly ?

Last edited:

FTM

FTM

Soldato
holy thread revival

picking up my third in a row next friday

its just a good all rounder

finally got my way with the colour after 2 red ones..indium grey

I'm old fashioned..the digital dash is going to take some getting used to

Associate
holy thread revival

picking up my third in a row next friday

its just a good all rounder

finally got my way with the colour after 2 red ones..indium grey

I'm old fashioned..the digital dash is going to take some getting used to

I like the digital dash. Try all the views till you find the one you like best.

This is how I have mine

cZkDI3n.jpg

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Surprised you can't get analogue dials at all in the Mk7.5. How naff is the 'base spec' digital dash compared to the premium one? (sorry for lack of VAG vocab)

Back
Top Bottom