• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll, nVidia CEO on Free Sync, is he believable or not?

Do you believe Jensen Huang

• I believe Jensen Huang

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • I do not believe Jensen Huang

Votes: 118 61.5%
  • Pancakes

Votes: 53 27.6%

• Total voters
Associate
Its not FreeSync, Nvidia are not supporting FreeSync, its adaptive-sync they support, if they supported FreeSync, then every FreeSync monitor would work, but thats not the case, as only 12 out of about 400+ work with their cards.

This is going to cause loads of people with FreeSync monitors, to go out, and buy a Nvidia card, thinking it will work with their FreeSync monitor, when it may not, unless they have one of the 12 monitors, on Nvidias list of known to work, so they'll either have to send their Nvidia card back, use it on their monitor, without any adaptive-sync, or sell their monitor, and buy a one, that does work with their Nvidia card.
this has been done to death and already proven that freesync and adaptive sync are one and the same thing. see the nvidia thread already up for why..

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
They made the claim, so it will work. Lawsuits would ensue if not, so that is the bottom line. What I or anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

Its not as simple as that, i mean do you actually believe it must be true or they'd be sued? corporate litigation is incredibly expensive and if you can't afford to take someone like nVidia to court nVidia can say pretty much what they like about you without fear of repercussion.

Lets say one of these smaller screen vendors take nVidia to court, they will have to pay for Lawers and research and all-sorts of crap, all nVidia do is string out the case for many many years until the complainant either bankrupt's themselves or drop's the complaint for lack of finances.

Many a good companies have been consigned to history like this.

Caporegime
Its not as simple as that, i mean do you actually believe it must be true or they'd be sued? corporate litigation is incredibly expensive and if you can't afford to take someone like nVidia to court nVidia can say pretty much what they like about you without fear of repercussion.

Lets say one of these smaller screen vendors take nVidia to court, they will have to pay for Lawers and research and all-sorts of crap, all nVidia do is string out the case for many many years until the complainant either bankrupt's themselves or drop's the complaint for lack of finances.

Many a good companies have been consigned to history like this.
Not sure how simple it is to explain but here is a list of monitors tested and what it entails.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/
Ryan Shrout at PCPer has a way of testing if VRR is working (how they tested all the way down to 14 fps on G-Sync), so if NVidia are telling lies, they will be taken to court and it is that simple.

Soldato
Not sure how simple it is to explain but here is a list of monitors tested and what it entails.
Ryan Shrout at PCPer has a way of testing if VRR is working (how they tested all the way down to 14 fps on G-Sync), so if NVidia are telling lies, they will be taken to court and it is that simple.
They won't necessarily be taken to court. Sometimes it isn't worth it to do so. It would be cheaper and easier to prove him wrong.

Caporegime
OP

What nVidia's criteria are for certifying G-Sync -Free Sync is utterley irrelevent to the descution here, that belongs in the other thread.

This one is about Jensen Huang's claims.

Those being.

"Some Free Sync screens flicker"
"The truth is most of the FreeSync monitors do not work."
"(FreeSync) was never proven to work"
"They do not even work with AMD’s graphics cards"

In my view he is knowingly making false claims with that ^^^

I propose he is a lair, he can try and sue me for that if he likes, he's welcome to my GPU as compensation....

Soldato
The automatic thing is ridiculous. It is deliberate misinformation. they know exactly what they are doing.

When I was watching the keynote, it stuck out and I'm surprised the media haven't taken them to task on that.

Soldato
Legal action is extremely expensive. Some companies take legal action against other companies when they know they're legally in the wrong, just to bury the other company in hassle and costs, or they do things they know is illegal because they know they can afford the worst case outcome.

Remember Intel and their bribing of companies to not use AMD hardware in their systems? They were fined billions for it, but they very likely profited more from it, and cost AMD a lot of business at the time.

Caporegime
What nVidia's criteria are for certifying G-Sync -Free Sync is utterley irrelevent to the descution here, that belongs in the other thread.

This one is about Jensen Huang's claims.

Those being.

"Some Free Sync screens flicker"
"The truth is most of the FreeSync monitors do not work."
"(FreeSync) was never proven to work"
"They do not even work with AMD’s graphics cards"

In my view he is knowingly making false claims with that ^^^

I propose he is a lair, he can try and sue me for that if he likes, he's welcome to my GPU as compensation....
Not sure he will sue you for calling him a lair. Or he will even care what you think in truth (or me).

He makes a claim that VRR will now work with certain VRR screens (12 thus far) and that is that. Does Freesync work on every Freesync screen?

bru

bru

Soldato
I can understand the reaction to what jensen said, but I wouldn't take it too seriously, let's wait and see what happens when they release the driver and we get to test things for ourselves. Maybe loads of screens will work fine, maybe they won't.

Lets wait and see.

Soldato
Gsync is a premium brand, of course they don't want to be associated with bargain basement monitors. AMD were wrong to not push tighter minimum requirements for the FreeSync standard to begin with FreeSync2 is too late

Associate
Not sure he will sue you for calling him a lair. Or he will even care what you think in truth (or me).

He makes a claim that VRR will now work with certain VRR screens (12 thus far) and that is that. Does Freesync work on every Freesync screen?
Yes except a few have issues, sometimes driver related sometimes panel related.

Soldato
If you buy a crap Freesync monitor then yes, the experience will be a good deal behind what you'd get with a GSync screen. Having said that, if you do your homework properly and get a decent Freesync screen I don't feel GSync offers any benefit what-so-ever.

Of course, I would expect the CEO of nVidia to sing GSync's praises regardless, I doubt he'd slam his own technology. But he's clearly having a bit of a tantrum here.

Associate

Oh come on Greg, he said a lot more than just "It will only work on 12 screens". He basically implied that Freesync doesnt work. When we all know it does.

Well actually my freesync hasnt worked for about 18 months due to the fact that I am running a 1070. However in 4 days time I will be trying that driver and letting you all know my thoughts in this thread.:D

I think he is trying to suggest or at least put the thoughts out there that G-Sync is still a far superior product over Freesync. He's putting an Nvidia twist on the fact that he's lost the battle against open standards and I think this all may backfire on him.
Knowing how Nvidia have acted in the past, it wouldnt surprise me if the driver will be written to make the Freesync screens look bad on purpose, thus seemingly proving his point.

As for Freesync working on every Freesync Screen.....I think we would have known that by now if it didnt.
;)

Caporegime
OP
It works perfectly fine on AMD GPU's, no mater which screen.

My fear is Jensen Huang claiming "it doesn't work on AMD GPU's" and "Free-Sync never having been proven to work", all that... is because he intends to deliberately not make it work on screens he chooses not to 'Certify'.

Soldato
Take anything any sales person says with a large pinch of cynical salt.

My monitor is one of the narrow refresh range ones which doesn't meet Nvidia's 2.4X validation requirement (or AMD's 2.5X FreeSync 2 spec).

So I know LFC isn't going to work or could cause problems. I am very interested to see what I get.

Back
Top Bottom