• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll, nVidia CEO on Free Sync, is he believable or not?

Do you believe Jensen Huang

• I believe Jensen Huang

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • I do not believe Jensen Huang

Votes: 118 61.5%
  • Pancakes

Votes: 53 27.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
According to the news (financials not rumours) Samsung will produce the 7nm Nvidia cards in 2020..... So seems there won't be any 7nm this year.

50,000,000 units of Pascal & Volta inventory...... Or $1.417 billion worth.
(yeah they wrote off their value also).
If only Nvidia could have gotten away with rebranding AMD cards through AIBs and controlling the media with NDA 2.0 they would have gotten away with it.

Associate
I think this is just Nvidia moving G-Sync to the high end and will probably get it's Monitor partners to put all their best panels in G-Sync monitors, nothing will change if you can afford a high end Nvidia card you can afford and will want a high end monitor.

Soldato
JHH is on the verge of losing his position as CEO:
Nvidia worth in the stock market cut in half
Poor reception for RTX, quality control issues, etc
Slow Adaption of Ray Tracing/DLSS
Sued by shareholders for misleading them about company performance and handling of inventory channels
Vega 7 giving the 2080 competition

Lets not kid ourselves if the day comes that JHH is removed as CEO it won't be long before Nvidia is sold off with golden parachutes being deployed as far as the eyes can see.

Why?

Because as you get to 7nm and lower it's hard to convince anyone that a gpu die needs it's own board/eco system. Regardless of how many "transistors" is being used. Something Nvidia always taunts about. At some point it's going to be very clear that you don't need a "video card" for low to mid-range gaming on (at least).

Hard to believe? Why hasn't Nvidia released 7nm video cards yet for gaming? Perhaps it may come mid 2019 but I also won't be surprised if 7nm isn't delayed either for PC gaming.

I would keep an eye out for the next gen consoles. That's going to really tell you how depreciated "Video Cards" are. Better yet comparable to Sound Cards.

It's already getting there. The APUs built in to Ryzen are already pretty good.

Once we do get there, Nvidia isn't really going to have anything. They don't make CPUs.

Soldato
Consumers "AMD have adaptive sync without the need for proprietary hardware, If AMD can do it why can't you?"
Jens "Free-Sync doesn't work even on AMD GPU's"

I think what he's saying is it doesn't work in the same consistent way you get with Gsync.

For example every Gsync panel meets the same minimum standards. It's the Ronseal of variable refresh rate technology as I have said before.

The same cannot be said for FreeSync. A lot of variation in features and support between different panels/manufactures.

So he's not *entirely* wrong in saying it doesn't work. He's just over simplified it.

Caporegime
OP
I think what he's saying is it doesn't work in the same consistent way you get with Gsync.

For example every Gsync panel meets the same minimum standards. The same cannot be said for FreeSync. A lot of variation in features and support between different panels/manufactures.

So he's not *entirely* wrong in saying it doesn't work. He's just over simplified it.

That sounds like a slimy politician having said something quite clearly and after having been ridiculed for it trying to explain away "what i meant by it was......"

Soldato
That sounds like a slimy politician having said something quite clearly and after having been ridiculed for it trying to explain away "what i meant by it was"

Slimy or not, it's the lay of the land.

FreeSync needs to be standardised and it needs to be enforced for a monitor to be FreeSync certified it needs to meet or exceed a set minimum set of features and support for the technology.

Then and ONLY then will it meet the same quality set by Gsync.

---

Even better would be to say, there is no 'exceeds' and only it meets or it doesn't meet.

Thus FreeSync certified or not.

---

I know FreeSync 2 is meant to solve this issue and do what I say above, but has it achieved it?

This ambiguity wouldn't exist if it had solved the problem.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Slimy or not, it's the lay of the land.

FreeSync needs to be standardised and it needs to be enforced for a monitor to be FreeSync certified it needs to meet or exceed a set minimum set of features and support for the technology.

Then and ONLY then will it meet the same quality set by Gsync.

---

Even better would be to say, there is no 'exceeds' and only it meets or it doesn't meet.

Thus FreeSync certified or not.

---

I know FreeSync 2 is meant to solve this issue and do what I say above, but has it achieved it?

This ambiguity wouldn't exist if it had solved the problem.

Free-Sync has made Adaptive Sync Technology available on screens costing as little as £99, if AMD were to force minimum standards on screen vendors the price of them will go up, nVidia's screens start at around £400. Its why G-Sync despite nVidia owning 80% of the market can only be described as a failure compared with Free-Sync.

Soldato
Free-Sync has made Adaptive Sync Technology available on screens costing as little as £99, if AMD were to force minimum standards on screen vendors the price of them will go up, nVidia's screens start at around £400. Its why G-Sync despite nVidia owning 80% of the market can only be described as a failure compared with Free-Sync.

That's a good point. And very important for those on budgets. I accept that.

But then you must accept that the premium vsync technology is Gysnc and the cheap second tier technology is FreeSync.

---

But again back to Jensen's comments it's this ambiguity that he is referring too with his comments.

Caporegime
OP
That's a good point. And very important for those on budgets. I accept that.

But then you must accept that the premium vsync technology is Gysnc and the cheap second tier technology is FreeSync.

---

But again back to Jensen's comments it's this ambiguity that he is referring too with his comments.

A lot of reviewers have done blind tests with the general public and professional gamers, in all cases none of them could tell the difference between Free-Sync and G-Sync, they used G-Sync and Free-Sync equivalents of the same screen and i have no doubt that a £200 Free-Sync screen vs a £600 G-Sync screen the difference would be obvious to those eyes.

Free-Sync works just as well as G-Sync or not as well, depending on what your willing to pay.

Associate
He's clearly talking bo**ocks....if freesync didn't work with AMD cards, the "graphics cards" and "monitors" sections on this forum would be full of threads and posts from angry AMD users.

Soldato
A lot of reviewers have done blind tests with the general public and professional gamers, in all cases none of them could tell the difference between Free-Sync and G-Sync, they used G-Sync and Free-Sync equivalents of the same screen and i have no doubt that a £200 Free-Sync screen vs a £600 G-Sync screen the difference would be obvious to those eyes.

Free-Sync works just as well as G-Sync or not as well, depending on what your willing to pay.

And this in a nutshell is what Jensen is referring too. He just encapsulated it up in too 'it doest work' because it's not standardised.

I'm not arguing for or against it. Just explaining it.

Being not standardise was in fact a contributing factor why I went Nvidia GPU and Gsync monitor in the first place.

The alternative was Vega 64 and FreeSync.

Soldato
"The truth is most of the FreeSync monitors do not work."
"(FreeSync) was never proven to work"
"They do not even work with AMD’s graphics cards"

No mate....

With comments like that there is no way even Tony Blairs spin doctors would take on the task of making it sound like he meant something different. It's all there in black and white.

Soldato

Gsync is competing with a free product which does the same job. It was never going to survive.

We are lucky AMD (and Intel I guess) aren't interested in locking people in to their own ecosystem and see that it only does bad things to the industry.

Back
Top Bottom