New Caterham!

Associate
Picked up a 2016 Caterham Roadsport (125bhp, R version) this morning. First track day with it is booked for the 16th Feb but thought I would have a blat around the local area after driving it back home.

1bVZsEq.jpg

I've hired a few for track days, but never driven one on the road (apart from the test drives to get this one). Initial thoughts...

• Getting in and out, particularly with a full cage requires planning and practice. There is no way to get in gracefully with the hood on, you just have to kind of leap in head first and shuffle around.
  • Driving a Caterham in January is a really very cold thing to do
  • When its raining, you get less wet the faster you go. There's an incentive!
  • Earplugs needed for the motorway. The constant drone is awful when there's nothing to distract you.
  • Stop start through town is not fun, except for the admiring looks. A guy took a picture of the car when I stopped to fill up at my local petrol station. Bet you don't get that with a 911...
  • Driving on back roads is sublime - low to the ground, great communication from the chassis and suspension, no power steering getting in the way. So so much fun, even at lower speeds.
  • The low weight plus naturally aspirated engine is a joy to behold - throttle response is perfect, pulling in a lovely linear way up through the rev range. Bliss!
  • The engine bay is lovely and roomy and well set out - simple maintenance tasks should be easy.
Can't wait to get it out on track next month.

Future upgrades I'm thinking of - shift lights, a power upgrade to 152 bhp, maybe better brakes (vented discs etc), and a trailer to take it around tracks further from home.

Let the mid life crisis begin!

PS For those inclined to small light sports cars, let me introduce you to an Aladdins cave of wonders :

3LcslXw.jpg

Soldato
So cool :cool:

Would love to have a go in one of these on some of the local back roads. The sensation of being able to wring its neck, without instantly hitting licence losing speeds, mixed with the agility and grip. Perfect drivers car.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Very envious. Had my heart set on one for years since OcUK did a day at Palmer Sport all those years ago. Came close a few times but (gf's) head won. Then she promised me I could get one after we had kids. I didn't realise his would mean after the kids leave home in 18 years :(

Anyway, enjoy it! Which Aladdin's cave is that??

Caporegime
First time I ever drove a Caterham was in the damp frost at a November PalmerSport day, so I congratulate your large cojones for a) buying this in January, and b) taking it on a good hoon!

If only the garage wasn't full of "things" I'd love to get something like this!

Don
Welcome to the Seven club :D

I own a Westfield running on a Xflow with ~ 120bhp. It's awesome fun, but you'll get the itch for more power very quickly :D

And I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, but don't bin it ;) They are very lively in the wet, even more so when the roads and tyres are cold!

Man of Honour
Looks at picture. :)

Wants Caterham. :D

Remembers trip to dealer September 2018 and the muscle spasms trying to get in and out of none SV models. :eek:

Forgets the idea. :(

OcUK Staff
I did think about it actually, but went off the idea. I do that all the time.

Haha I also came very close to buying a Caterham a few months back after doing some drift and track days in one I was smitten

So I took an R310 and R360 our on road one regular and one SV.

Though I fit in regular it was proper snug so I’d probably get the SV to allow some grow room but after driving it on the road the idea of buying quickly diminished.

I have huge respect to anyone who drives one on the road as you feel so exposed should you crash or another car hit you them just like a biker it’s going to serious hurt.

At this point the money stayed in the bank account as I suspect I’d simply not get the use out of it, plus it was 25k for a car I may not use often.

Still the most fun I’ve had in a car though on track or in a car park.

Associate
Nice car!

We got our Westfield road registered in Sep, passing 1st time which was nice (and a surprise). S2000 engine and bumpy roads makes it, erm, lively... Have to agree with Gibbo - feel so exposed next to any other car, and knowing how little crash-protection there is, it keeps you awake... I want to swap the roll hoop to something more sturdy and then get it out on a track this year...

westy1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom