New Toyota Supra formally announced

Associate
The trouble is with the FT-1 concept is, is that if something similar went into production, it is looking at competing (currently) with the likes of the Nissan GTR £80k at a minimum all the way up to the likes of the Porsche 911 GT3 & AMG GTR at upwards of £150k - all of which are very established Premium brand Supercar's.

Paying upwards of £150k for a 'Toyota' would be un-heard of. All current BMW's themselves do not go up to that price as the current highest BMW is the 850i at £75k and the M8 rumoured to be in the region of £140k. BMW would not want a 'Toyota' detracting from their attempt at the £150k Supercar segment.

Shawrey

Soldato
Looking at 2016+ 140i tuning and seems like the B58 is quite the sleeper.

Standard remap takes the car to 430BHP & a remap with supporting mods can push 455BHP.

Good to see there is capability there for the tuners.

Soldato
The trouble is with the FT-1 concept is, is that if something similar went into production, it is looking at competing (currently) with the likes of the Nissan GTR £80k at a minimum all the way up to the likes of the Porsche 911 GT3 & AMG GTR at upwards of £150k - all of which are very established Premium brand Supercar's.

Paying upwards of £150k for a 'Toyota' would be un-heard of. All current BMW's themselves do not go up to that price as the current highest BMW is the 850i at £75k and the M8 rumoured to be in the region of £140k. BMW would not want a 'Toyota' detracting from their attempt at the £150k Supercar segment.

Shawrey

Toyota also have Lexus to cover the top-end market.

Associate

Standard remap takes the car to 430BHP & a remap with supporting mods can push 455BHP.

I fully expect TD/Fensport/Abbey to have something up their sleeve for this car - as they all did for the '86/BRZ.

Toyota also have Lexus to cover the top-end market.

This is true... although who knows, there may be a more 'Supercar' version of the mk5 developed if people show demand for it. If the market holds well for these and residual values stay high - I can't see why it wouldn't happen.

Shawrey

Associate
OcUK Staff

Absolutely, its a very tune friendly engine, 500HP is achievable from them. But from experience of modding, I'd just go tune for around 430HP and leave it at that as anything beyond won't make it much quicker and more a handful to drive.

I can also see maybe Toyota releasing more powerful or limited edition model in the future with maybe say 400HP and some additional weight reduction if they decide to do a more dedicated performance/track orientated version of the car.

Soldato
To be fair the production car isn't that far off what was represented in the concept, the main issue is where it's smaller the features are a bit squashed looking, shame that, bit understandable given the shared platform.

That being said I'm not sure I love the looks. What's the retail on one these? (Couldn't resist :p)

Soldato
Associate
Soldato
I'd trust a review that's actually spoken to Tada, the guy who did the aero design over some other thread with no sauce..

Fake news on fake vents?

Shawrey

We won't know for sure until the car is with a reputable tuning company.

The fake vents don't bother me but it is a nice bonus if they can be made functional.

The Gen 2 R8 V10 has fake vents too :p

Commissario

I loved the B58 in my M140i, and yup there's a lot of different routes available.

Man of Honour
f. All current BMW's themselves do not go up to that price as the current highest BMW is the 850i at £75k

What?

There are numerous BMW's with a starting price of more than £75k. The 850's are £100,000 for Coupe and £104,00 for convertible not £75k for a start.

Associate
What?

There are numerous BMW's with a starting price of more than £75k. The 850's are £100,000 for Coupe and £104,00 for convertible not £75k for a start.

Sorry, meant starting price at £75k Doh!

I didn't bother to mention the i8 as that is a silly comparison being an elec/hybrid jobby but an eye gouging £120k in my local dealer when I was looking round one it's expensive.

Still the sentiment remains that given BMW had a lot of input they wouldn't particularly want this car competing with sales of the 1st party cars despite the differences in brand and target market. They're already fiddling the numbers of the Z4 to try and separate it from the Supra being the sister car.

Shawrey

Back
Top Bottom