Shaming in the media - School Kids vs Native Americans

Caporegime
Don't know if anyone saw this earlier, the story has gone viral on social media and has had coverage on CNN, the BBC etc... I'm not really a fan of claims the "MSM" is biased etc.. but this time they're shooting themselves in the foot and just playing into the narrative from the likes of Trump that they're "Fake news CNN" etc...

The main stream narrative here is that a load of *racist* white Trump supporters abused and mocked a peaceful Native American war veteran who was fearful of his own safety when among them and thought they were all hateful etc...

tl:dr

The kids had been on a "pro life" march - cringe, but I guess that is Catholics/right wingers for you

The kids were abused for a while by a group of African American "Israelites" who shouted racial slurs and homophobic abuse. The Israelites also mocked the native American's religion, claimed they were indigenous too. CNN, rather comically, has referred to these protestors as "young African Americans who had been preaching the bible nearby"

The kids started their school chat and were approached by some native Americans. One told the kids to **** off back to Europe another got in the kids faces and started banging his drum at them... one of the kids stood his ground and smiled at him, others smirked... they're now all hateful etc.. for doing so.

Seems a tad unfair that plenty of outlets are only showing one side of the story and demonising the kids, it is counter productive too as when the full footage is available on youtube etc.. and a bunch of youtubers are happy to show all the things CNN etc.. omitted it just plays into the narrative that the main stream news isn't trustworthy.

Here is the CNN article:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/19/us/teens-mock-native-elder-trnd/index.html

here is a response from one of the students:

https://twitter.com/AClementsWKRC/status/1086822521012473858

and here are some videos:

Warning there are a couple of swear words but not excessive given the length of the videos AFAIK, please delete if not appropriate.

full video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQyBHTTqb38

Caporegime
I wont bother too much with this thread, but their school is apparently "well known" for being very fundamentalist, seemingly a lot of crimes occur around it/due to it. Regardless, i'm not American and won't pretend that this means anything to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure why we're so obsessed in this country with what happens thousands of miles away in America, we've got more than enough of our own problems here...

Caporegime
I'm not sure why we're so obsessed in this country with what happens thousands of miles away in America, we've got more than enough of our own problems here...

It's really weird. When I lived in Holland it took quite the event for the States to appear in the news, they just don't care (neither do I). I don't know where this infatuation with America comes from, we're not closely tied in any way.

Soldato

Might be due to them being our single largest trade partner for exports and second for imports, the primary reserve currency of the world, our primary military ally, sharing a similiar culture and language and overall still massively dominant when it comes to culture and trends in the west

Soldato
It's the culture war which is very relevant to us in the UK as we are rapidly following the US down the identitarian hell hole people are pushing hard on both sides of the Atlantic.

I need to watch some of the extended videos that have been posted (but keep mysteriously getting deleted?) but i have seen a lot of commentary that suggests the school and MSM have thrown these kids under the bus.

Caporegime
OP
I wont bother too much with this thread, but their school is apparently "well known" for being very fundamentalist, seemingly a lot of crimes occur around it/due to it. Regardless, i'm not American and won't pretend that this means anything to me.

The point wasn’t so much that some event in the US should mean anything to you but rather the way the mainstream media chose to cover it and then potentially score an own goal after various youtubers show what actually happened. This story was covered by CNN, the BBC etc..

It isn’t that anyone should care about the particular story itself or these kids but rather that events like this that get twisted by those reporting them just feed into the narrative that say “CNN is fake news” etc... Distrust of mainstream news in favour of social media, YouTube etc... is something that is affecting various sides in politics and it probably isn’t a good thing.

Soldato

Because they speak (More or less) the same language as us, so news reports are just a simple case of Cut n Paste.

Why look for answers that are more complex than they need to be?

Soldato
The point wasn’t so much that some event in the US should mean anything to you but rather the way the mainstream media chose to cover it and then potentially score an own goal after various youtubers show what actually happened. This story was covered by CNN, the BBC etc..

It isn’t that anyone should care about the particular story itself or these kids but rather that events like this that get twisted by those reporting them just feed into the narrative that say “CNN is fake news” etc... Distrust of mainstream news in favour of social media, YouTube etc... is something that is affecting various sides in politics and it probably isn’t a good thing.

The media see a Maga hat and can't help themselves... .

Its reminds me of the shameless defence of the Time's false trump / Guatemalan girl cover where the guy is literally saying it doesn't matter that the story is factually wrong as the 'symbolic' of a message that they want to push

Last edited:
Caporegime

And if the news was 100% accurate, they still wouldn't care. So what's the point? Some people are just lost to rationality (and by some it would appear to be anywhere between 30 and 60%...), the News may as well just go for the hits now as clearly truth is irrelevant.

We're in the stupid era and it ain't stopping for nobody.

Soldato
Here is a letter from one of the students present.

view1.png

view2.png

Having watched some of the video from the event, what is very clear is that the African American "Israelites" were preaching racial hatred and that the Native American man clearly went up to the group and pushed his way to the centre and got in the child's face. The school children were chanting "CSM" (their school) at the time he approached them. Whether they may have been chanting "Build the Wall" at another point I haven't seen any video showing that and the letter says they weren't. Either way, the school children are plainly not aggressors in this by any means. The media turned on them with a fury, though. And various well-known anti-Trump pundits have been baying for the kids blood:

** Swearing in image **

I've seen a number of people online double down on this and either try to rationalise why the kids are still the ones at fault or express their chief concern is that the fake news put out by media organizations like CNN will cause people to... distrust CNN. If a media organization shows blatant bias and misreporting, shouldn't you want people to distrust it? No, not if it's on "your side". If it's on "your side", then apparently your main worry is that it lends support to people saying (rightly) that the media is biased and shouldn't be trusted.

I think we have one of those in this very thread, in fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
OP
And if the news was 100% accurate, they still wouldn't care. So what's the point? Some people are just lost to rationality, the News may aswell just go for the hits now.

We're in the stupid era and it ain't stopping for nobody.

Who's is they? This doesn't just affect some small portion of Trump or Brexit voters. Distrust of the media isn't a good thing in general and stuff like this just feeds into that narrative.

Caporegime
Who's is they? This doesn't just affect some small portion of Trump or Brexit voters. Distrust of the media isn't a good thing in general and stuff like this just feeds into that narrative.

I include overzealous idiots of all persuasions, nationalist ones just annoy me more.

Caporegime
I've seen a number of people online double down on this and either try to rationalise why the kids are still the ones at fault or express their chief concern is that the fake news put out by media organizations like CNN will cause people to... distrust CNN. If a media organization shows blatant bias and misreporting, shouldn't you want people to distrust it? No, not if it's on "your side". If it's on "your side", then apparently your main worry is that it lends support to people saying (rightly) that the media is biased and shouldn't be trusted.

I think we have one of those in this very thread, in fact.

CNN BAD, FAKE NEWS!

Oh wait, they updated their story

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/19/us/teens-mock-native-elder-trnd/index.html

Soldato
Soldato
Seems like all parties were just as bad as each other. But ofc certain news outlets, like the BBC have their own agendas to follow.

Caporegime
Seems like all parties were just as bad as each other. But ofc certain news outlets, like the BBC have their own agendas to follow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46943364

A teenager involved in a controversial encounter between a Native American man and a crowd of students has spoken out.

A video appeared to show some of the boys laughing and jeering as Omaha elder Nathan Phillips sang and drummed in Washington.

The footage, which went viral, led to widespread criticism of the boys.

However, additional video footage has provided further details of the incident, while student Nick Sandmann has denied mocking Mr Phillips.

Back
Top Bottom