Today my 7 year old daughter got told off at school for...

Caporegime
Also make sure you teach her how to actually clap and tell her that marshmallow clapping is silly.

I had to look up marshmallow clapping in google, but the first link is from urban dictionary and perhaps something OP's kid shouldn't really learn to do for at least another decade or so!

Soldato
THe old PILE ON "xxxx" would result on 15+ people randomly landing on poor "xxxx"

Or a scream of Bundle! would often have the same results

lol you brought back some memories.
Well apparently it doesn't stop at school either.
few years ago mate did it to me out drinking one night. About 12 lads did a pile on I thought I was going to die,
average male weight = ~80kg, so I had in the region of a ton on top of me :(

Caporegime
Well apparently it doesn't stop at school either.
few years ago mate did it to me out drinking one night. About 12 lads did a pile on I thought I was going to die,
average male weight = ~80kg, so I had in the region of a ton on top of me :(

Fun fact, the weight of gravity weighing down on you is the same as 10 Mercedes. This is what I was told at school.

Whether they meant Smart cars or LWB Sprinters is anyone's guess.

Soldato
The NHS calculator has her as overweight, but there’s no way you could say the girl is overweight. I think BMI is a flawed concept overall anyway.

BMI is flawed, and many medical/nutritionists will tell you that. It's designed to be statistically applied to a population, not an individual. That's why it's broken when you take into account athletes, very petite or very tall.

There are other measurement systems that are more useful, and some take into account the person's build, or where their fat is stored in more dangerous places.

Soldato
Also same here. My son's primary school was very 'progressive'. But his high school is fantastic with proper sports like rugby, cricket, etc.

My school used to do bonkers stuff like sailing and judo. If you think judo was the dangerous one, you want to see what happens when you sail a racing dinghy at speed across a reservoir in a thunderstorm. Oh, and the time we took a half a dozen dinghys through Harwich harbour, the busiest container shipping port in the UK.

Today's health and safety would have a heart attack over some of the stuff we did in boats.

V F

V F

Soldato
My school used to do bonkers stuff like sailing and judo. If you think judo was the dangerous one, you want to see what happens when you sail a racing dinghy at speed across a reservoir in a thunderstorm. Oh, and the time we took a half a dozen dinghys through Harwich harbour, the busiest container shipping port in the UK.

Today's health and safety would have a heart attack over some of the stuff we did in boats.

Or making ice slides in winter in the school playground.

Associate
I now don't regret not having kids yet. If I had a kid who was in school for this nonsense, I'd be aghast. It looks like folks are waking up to the BS going on and there's a strong movement of common sense coming about amongst parents/sensible folk, and whatever the outcome of that is will result in a more sane (or severely oppressive if unlucky) world.

PS. we also did British Bulldog and bundles at school in the late 90s/early 2000s. After school was Scouts, where we did a more hardcore version called 'manhunt' involving wide open spaces/cover in darkness, and often the opposing team had members who were twice your size and weight, essentially adults vs children in terms of body stature sometimes. Though I recall by the time it became my turn to be of adult-size (15 y/o or so), the game evaporated, but I remember evading absolute juggernauts and high speed 'men' essentially who were impossible to outpace in a straight run when I was a young'un, and some epic clashes witnessed watching a 16 y/o from your team with 16 y/os from the other team while you snuck through.

Of course I call it 90s/2000s Scouts, but in modern parlance that was the Hitler Youth, and all young men should now be indoctrinated to be ladyboys before ever engaging in anything remotely masculine or daring. Especially real clapping... the horror....

Caporegime
We did man hunt at cubs/scouts too.
Thank god for the late 80s/early90s.
And murder ball, a type of dodgeball where fully grown men threw basketballs at 10 year old boys at 10m, trying to break their legs.....

Can you imagine now the crys of child abuse lol

J.T

J.T

Soldato
anyone else remember Sting ball!

One person has a tennis ball (or Cricket ball if you were nutters) and all the other kids line up against a wall, the kid with the ball has to chuck the ball as hard as they can and try and hit the kids lined up and they go out on being hit till last man (crap sorry, person!) standing.

Loved that game.

Last edited:
Caporegime
BMI is flawed, and many medical/nutritionists will tell you that. It's designed to be statistically applied to a population, not an individual. That's why it's broken when you take into account athletes, very petite or very tall.

There are other measurement systems that are more useful, and some take into account the person's build, or where their fat is stored in more dangerous places.

Sure BMI has flaws, but that doesn't mean it isn't relevant to individuals - as a measure it works for most people and more importantly it is an easy measurement with plenty of reference data.

People do try to make use of the fact that it isn't perfect to try and rubbish it in general, which is silly, most people aren't big bodybuilders, most adults in the UK are fat and BMI is fine for them.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Sure BMI has flaws, but that doesn't mean it isn't relevant to individuals - as a measure it works for most people and more importantly it is an easy measurement with plenty of reference data.

People do try to make use of the fact that it isn't perfect to try and rubbish it in general, which is silly, most people aren't big bodybuilders, most adults in the UK are fat and BMI is fine for them.

Agree, Its helpful for the average Joe but more than useless for anyone who is serious about lifting weights or most other sports.

Man of Honour
anyone else remember Sting ball!

One person has a tennis ball (or Cricket ball if you were nutters) and all the other kids line up against a wall, the kid with the ball has to chuck the ball as hard as they can and try and hit the kids lined up and they go out on being hit till last man (crap sorry, person!) standing.

Loved that game.
Yes we played that in the playground. Good fun. We also played a softer version of it in sports lessons too. It was called Strawberries and Cream when the school did it (they were the names of the teams) and you obviously weren't allowed to throw it as hard as sting ball in the playground.

Caporegime
Agree, Its helpful for the average Joe but more than useless for anyone who is serious about lifting weights or most other sports.

Yeah, certainly as far as some professionals are concerned or serious amateurs. It is quite interesting though - like basketball players have a normal BMI on average because they're so tall. The average tennis player or footballer isn't classed as overweight either, but then when it comes to things like rugby and some olympic athletic events they're not just "overweight" on average but into full on "obese" territory.

Soldato
Tag or 'it' was recently banned at my son's primary school as well and a few of the kids have got 'yellow cards' for chasing each other with the teachers thinking they were playing 'it'. I was telling my son about playing British Bulldog when I was a kid and he couldn't believe it!

Oh the memories...... When there were 20 of you and 2-4 left standing at the end it got messy, real messy, very messy. Im talking ripped clothes, cuts, fractures on a few occasions. Teachers didn't give a **** and we all ended up ok..ish.

Soldato
Oh the memories...... When there were 20 of you and 2-4 left standing at the end it got messy, real messy, very messy. Im talking ripped clothes, cuts, fractures on a few occasions. Teachers didn't give a **** and we all ended up ok..ish.

Oh yes.

Also, back in the day, if you weren't bleeding by the end of a Rugby match you got a dressing down for not playing hard enough! We had some South Africans at school in the early 70's, they were hard as **** and they treated the rugby pitch like a battlefield!

:D

Associate
Knuckles. Slaps. Peanuts. Bulldog. BUNDLE! We had a lot of games that seemed to be designed to hurt one another. Fun tho.

Then there is the standard stuff like being able to kick a ball or play conkers or tag or whatever. The world is going mad.

Back
Top Bottom