eBay question (no I haven't been scammed... Yet!)

Caporegime
So I'm selling some alloy wheels for around £450, collection only but indicated I may post in the description.

Someone in Northern Ireland with 2 feedback (both positive, as a buyer) has offered me £500 posted, which I'm fine with as postage is about £50.

If I take payment via eBay and PayPal and post it Paisley Freight insured for the full amount etc, is there any way this guy can screw me over?

He seems genuine in the messages and I've sold things to NI and ROI before without issues (including the car they are off of!) but I'm just wary because he's not got much feedback and it's a high value item.

http://imgur.com/a/ekZnpUe.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Wow this has been a hive of opinion, I can barely keep up! :p

Thanks @EGuitarStar I'll check that now.

Been a member for 3 weeks, 2 feedback as a buyer, both positive.

Both purchases of tractor related items.

And the delivery address is Dilly Farms, Dungannon.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wow this has been a hive of opinion, I can barely keep up! :p

Thanks @EGuitarStar I'll check that now.

Been a member for 3 weeks, 2 feedback as a buyer, both positive.

Both purchases of tractor related items.

And the delivery address is Dilly Farms, Dungannon.

It's quite simple:

Can you afford to lose £500 and not worry about it? It could be legit but for the sake of finding a local buyer with cold, hard cash, is it worth the risk?

Caporegime
OP
I'm just not sure HOW they could scam me out of my money if he PayPal's it to me via eBay and I sent it recorded tracked and insured?

Wheels for a Corolla T-Sport Compressor are a very strange thing to try and nick as well, they're quite rare, and dont fit a lot of things properly because of the huge offset etc.

Caporegime
OP
Weirdly enough its the only offer I've had aside from another one, from someone with lots of feedback, but they are in Southern Ireland, and are trying to knock me down £150.

The car they are off of I sent to Northern Ireland as well... :p

Associate
It is weird that there are any recently created/low feedback accounts at all, what with eBay having been around since the dawn of the 2000s and everyone and their dog having already bought multitudes of stuff from there (except the very young and very old).

I'm the benefit of the doubt sort of person though, so I tolerate buyers (not sellers I'm buying from) with low feedback. I've sold to one guy who I see has only got 6 feedback still and that auction was a year+ ago, so undoubtedly he had near 0 feedback back then.

I've had one guy try to scam me. His feedback was respectable (100ish), and the 'item' I was selling at the time was for an MMO character before it was outlawed (a 3 figure sum auction). Warnings signs were blaring when he won it and was demanding the details be handed over within minutes of the auction or else he'd be throwing the wrath of eBay/Paypal at me. I handed them over no problem as I was online at the time.

A few days later I was informed Paypal had opened a dispute saying the buyers account stolen, and for me to provide evidence/a tracking number to prove I'd honoured the transaction to cover myself. I immediately printed off the details I'd sent by email then special deliveryed them to the buyer's address (after the dispute was opened). Paypal ruled in my favour.

Honestly don't know what happened there. Maybe the buyers account was hacked, or maybe it was the buyer's ******** teenage son who did it, and the account holder was too honourable to push the matter of a refund and too busy punishing their kid, or maybe the whole 100+ feedback account was a scammer from the start, I dunno. Or maybe it was simply Paypal were satisfied given the details of the case in my favour. Either way, positive experience of Paypal/eBay for me and not had any fuss since.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
He replied saying "Yes I’m new to eBay, but I am genuine I can pay now though eBay, if you want me to do anything else please let me know?. I would like too be able do this deal. Thanks Sinclair"

Back
Top Bottom