BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Got round to ordering an Android unit to replace my 6.5 inch screen. Works fantastically wel, can swap from the android to NBT with a press of the button. Installed Waze and a few other apps straight off the bat. Boots up just a few seconds slower than the standard software.
Looks smart! Did you install it yourself? Easy job?

Caporegime
Lol what?! A full service on my porsche costs less than that!
Including plug change ? I think he meant a £566 for the service and £251 of that is plugs.

I did mine myself but it’s a bit of labour doing all 8 and getting to them. You can pay £60 for the plugs.

Soldato
Planning on getting my 403m's refurbished in March ready for the summer months. Been quoted £750 for diamond cut (original finish) or £350 powder coated. Not sure what to do, I live right on the coast so can see the diamond cuts corroding again in the not so distant future. What's everyone's thoughts on this;

Note, my car is also Silver but I have tinted rear quarters and M-sport brakes.

Associate
Planning on getting my 403m's refurbished in March ready for the summer months. Been quoted £750 for diamond cut (original finish) or £350 powder coated. Not sure what to do, I live right on the coast so can see the diamond cuts corroding again in the not so distant future. What's everyone's thoughts on this;

Note, my car is also Silver but I have tinted rear quarters and M-sport brakes.

I actually think I prefer those style wheels powder coated. I'd probably go for that rather than diamond cut (and I'm usually a fan of diamond cut).

Man of Honour
Brake fluid is a completely separate element under CBS and is never included as standard - it's on a different time schedule anyway.

This still doesn't make sense to me - the element in the menu listed as 'Vehicle Inspection' is the MOT - not an Inspection Service.

You should have:

Oil Service - This is an oil change and microfilter change and, every 2/3rd service (Not entirely sure on M Power), it includes plugs etc etc and gets expensive. It's only ever listed in iDrive as 'Oil Service'.
Vehicle Check - This is what used to be all the checks and inspections in the old Inspection 1 and 2 servicing from years and years ago. It's now a separate element. It does not involve the replacement of parts.
Vehicle Inspection - This is your MOT
Brake Fluid - This is the brake fluid

All 4 of these elements are separate and do not necessarily become due at the same time.

It would help if you could post a photo of your iDrive service screen.

Caporegime
With CBS. Oil service is separate to oil and microfilters. Even with oil service the oil filte will be replaced so parts will be replaced. £295 vs £375 according to link.

It’s pretty clear on the service website to be honest. My oil service had associated filters as well as this was driven by the two year requirement rather than mileage

Also there are two inspections. One is MOT which you can change date of manually (just a reminder really). The other is the actual vehicle inspection where they just check it over and read codes for the sake of £80 I think. ( they messed up my recall booking so I got mine for free )

Soldato
Yeh I never get the vehicle inspection done. It's just a waste of money in my opinion - the car gets MOT'd, and gets a check over at its service once a year too. I'm not going to pay BMW another £80 to kick the tyres and check the horn works.

They gave it a free check over when it went for it's recalls anyway (a fairly thorough one) so I'm wondering what, in reality, they do over this to justify an £80 charge. My guess is that dealerships see this as a bit of a money for old rope service which takes them about 5 minutes to do.

Soldato
With CBS. Oil service is separate to oil and microfilters. Even with oil service the oil filte will be replaced so parts will be replaced. £295 vs £375 according to link.

It’s pretty clear on the service website to be honest. My oil service had associated filters as well as this was driven by the two year requirement rather than mileage

Also there are two inspections. One is MOT which you can change date of manually (just a reminder really). The other is the actual vehicle inspection where they just check it over and read codes for the sake of £80 I think. ( they messed up my recall booking so I got mine for free )

The thing is, it's fairly simple on the e9x to work out what you need to have done...because it says it all on a nice screen. If it says he requires an oil service, he requires an oil service. If he requires brake fluid, he requires brake fluid. I'm not sure why it's anymore complicated than this? Air filter is inspected and replaced if necessary. Spark plugs are every 37k miles or so.

Either way ~£800+VAT for a service, any service is insane.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Agree but Oil service won’t mention micro filters or air filters. Nor spark plugs

They need the key for that and reading told me I needed plugs at 37k even though they were changed at the 28k service 2 years before

Also it seems that my service book is telling me I haven’t had brake fluid changed since dec 2014 yet I drive tells me it was due jan 2019.

It’s all a bit confusing when you buy these second hand !

Man of Honour
With CBS. Oil service is separate to oil and microfilters.

It's not - an oil service *is* the oil and microfilters. BMW manage to confuse this by also offering an oil service without microfilters on the BMW Service website - you have lots of fun with the dealer if you try and book this.

Man of Honour
Yeh I never get the vehicle inspection done. It's just a waste of money in my opinion - the car gets MOT'd, and gets a check over at its service once a year too. I'm not going to pay BMW another £80 to kick the tyres and check the horn works.

The problem with this is is that if you don't get it done, you no longer have full service history. Which is fine provided you are happy with that. The 'Vehicle Check' is the inspection element of the old Inspection services, and the same checks are part of all other manufacturers services, too. BMW just stripped it out and made it separate as part of CBS. When explained properly it makes perfect sense, the problem is it never is explained properly and people just assume CBS is a ripoff.

The issue is that whilst you are not an idiot and know if your car is ok most people are not you and when buying a used car, a car with FSH indicates that at least somebody has been having a look once in a while.

Caporegime
It's not - an oil service *is* the oil and microfilters. BMW manage to confuse this by also offering an oil service without microfilters on the BMW Service website - you have lots of fun with the dealer if you try and book this.
You said an oil service needs no parts changing a few posts ago. Make your mind up !!!!

Back
Top Bottom