*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Funnily enough the stronglifts app gave me exactly the same advice yesterday, saying you stalled 3 times on OHP get some 0.5kg girly plates or words to that effect. I am doing so.

Edit: and ordered

Last edited:
Soldato
I imagine it will be a while until I put another 2.5kg on. In fact I'm not increasing any weights on squat or deadlift until I find out why I'm getting such sore hips all of a sudden.

Also deloading my press (dumbbells) from 38kg to 28kg this week. Thinking about it, I'm doing pretty badly at this gym thing at the moment :p

Soldato
1.25kgs are almost always the smallest a gym will have, which is fine for large number of men and how most people in gyms train (rep ranges), but if you're on the lighter side of things as a male or for most women generally, 2.5kg jumps on a barbell for upper body stuff end up being too great if the goal is straightforward 'add weight every session, do same reps' and/or mean you'll have to start doing something different quicker because 2.5kg jumps are easier for someone weighing 90kg than someone who is 60kg (or a little 50kg laydeh). The old 1kg PB can be a useful way to eek out linear progression for longer before resorting to periodisation, if set numbers are your thing.

Soldato
Yeap nothing wrong with investing in some micro plates. Also nothing wrong with OHP stalling 3 times and then doing a 10% drop and build back up again.

Man of Honour
:) I'm sort of looking forward to the deload and little plates so I can make some progress. Everything else has felt so satisfying by comparison

Also thinking to deload the squat a little as I know my depth has reduced on the last couple of weight increases. Was at 135kg yesterday and sure I can do better depth rather than moving the weight up

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeap nothing wrong with investing in some micro plates. Also nothing wrong with OHP stalling 3 times and then doing a 10% drop and build back up again.

Its what I always do on OHP and can always play around with stance, to see what sorts you best (coming from a guy who alters between narrow and staggered depending on how I feel haha).

Man of Honour
Yes I've used it, makes a big difference for me over the 4inch in terms of digging in. I'm 5ft8 and the 4 inch I can't get in a position where set up doesn't feel really awkward, this one I can. It's a bit stiff still but I think will soften up nicely in time.

Soldato
I have tiny little girl wrists (<7" in circumference) and am starting to struggle on the last few sets when it comes to holding the bar on the heavier benches My issue is with my wrist bending back a little. No pain just a feeling of lack of stability and a small ganglion cyst that becomes more prominent after benching (located under my palm). No discomfort from the bump and usually goes away by itself, until next time. I am not pushing around much weight though 80/85kg.

advice?

A friend has suggested wrist wraps but that sounds a bit silly for how little i am pushing

Back
Top Bottom