Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
I'm sure mine was verified pretty much straight away after uploading photos of driving licence and filming the stupid video :D but this was back in 2017.

Yeah I thought it would be too! Applied Tuesday morning. Maybe I should have shaved first to match my passport photo :D

Man of Honour
Mine was pretty quick over Christmas within a day, which is surprising considering my driving licence picture is 14 years old with hair on top of my head and no beard and now I'm almost a skin head with a massive beard.

I done a bit of account hopping before Christmas for the signup bonuses, my last Natwest one has just come through so I've started the switch fully to Starling.

Soldato
Yeah I thought it would be too! Applied Tuesday morning. Maybe I should have shaved first to match my passport photo :D

My driving licence card is like 8 years old but the photo was already 5 or 6 years old when I sent it in for renewal. I looked nothing like I did in the application video. :D

Soldato
Well my Starling account reports to my Noddle credit report which I understand is TransUnion/Callcredit.
I've flagged it with starling Cs, but this is now the 2nd odd occurance of starling not being accepted (barclaycard being the other but found a workaround for that)

Soldato
Yes i use the above just to try and isolate the current account from outside influences (never used online/shopping etc), Had a bit of scare a few years with using the current account for everything (aside from savings) and while everything was ok in the end but it was PITA to sort out. So now it just a holding pot for DD/SO etc and paying off the AMEX in full each month via DD.

Why would you not use a CC though, massive amounts of protection (if your buying stuff off the internet with debit card or paypal you need to look into it more), some nice benefits, cashback on every purchase, miles depending on what is important to you.

Now if your not the type of person who is responsible enough to track your spending throughout the month & budget, you see 20k limit as free money then yes, maybe a CC is not for you :)

Otherwise your missing a trick really.

Oh and starling still need to OFX !!!
I do have a barcalays credit card, I just don’t use it. I keep it in my wallet in a hidden section for emergencies and expensive purchases, but I don’t use it for routine spending :) the credit limit allows me to blow my budget too much.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Haha I understand that, just takes some financial and self discipline, it`s very easy to slip into the trap the credit card companies want you to fall in :)

I guess budgeting and finances is entire new thread, OCUK share club anyone :)

Just to keep it on track

Still no OFX from starling :)

Caporegime
I do have a barcalays credit card, I just don’t use it. I keep it in my wallet in a hidden section for emergencies and expensive purchases, but I don’t use it for routine spending :) the credit limit allows me to blow my budget too much.

Everyone had different way of self discipline I guess. But the best way to look at it is to see if you have money in your bank account before you buy and when you buy, put that on the credit card. When that transaction pops up, pay it off.

You’ll get all the perks of a credit card and no down side.

Soldato
As far as I’m aware, there are only benefits if I can make use of the minuscule cashback or other rewards for AMEX etc?

Other than purchases over £100 which will always go on CC :)

I’m not too concerned of people cloning my Starling account as it’s max a couple of hundred.

Caporegime
As far as I’m aware, there are only benefits if I can make use of the minuscule cashback or other rewards for AMEX etc?

Other than purchases over £100 which will always go on CC :)

I’m not too concerned of people cloning my Starling account as it’s max a couple of hundred.

Every little counts, I’ve earned 80,000 avios points in the last few years and that’s enough for flights to NYC. Who would say no to free flights now and again?

Also there are extra protection from purchase on credit card opposed to debit card.

Soldato
Every little counts, I’ve earned 80,000 avios points in the last few years and that’s enough for flights to NYC. Who would say no to free flights now and again?

Also there are extra protection from purchase on credit card opposed to debit card.
I barely fly (was 13 odd years ago last time I boarded a plane), I have a freedom rewards card and got about £50 of rewards last time I cashed them in.

Anyway we may be getting this slightly off subject. Went out for a shopping trip yesterday, it’s absolutely amazing to see the analytics from starling to understand where money goes. The push notification is so satisfying too.

Soldato
Anyone using Curve?

I'd rather not ...

Great in principle, appalling in reality
Let me put this bluntly... Curve is an absolute farce. 1 star is quite a stretch.

Plus points:
1. The free "blue" card arrived quickly... just 3 days.

That's it. Now, moving on to the bad points...

1. They advertise AMEX support, but AMEX have refused to trade with Curve. Despite this, Curve continue (even as I type this message) to mislead customers by advertising AMEX support.
2. They aren't PCI compliant, so shouldn't be processing card data at all. That alone should be sufficient to make you run for the hills, but I'll carry on. This may give some insight as to why AMEX has refused to do business with them.
3. The "verification number" SMS never arrives. I contacted support to (eventually) be told that I had entered the number incorrectly, so the system wouldn't send a text and she couldn't call me. The number was correct; it's worked for years... but to humour them, I re-entered exactly the same details again. It sends, but never arrives... making the card literally useless.
4. Customer service is virtually non-existent.
They advertise "24/7 phone support" for card cancellations, which is nonsense. When you call, an (albeit friendly) lady answers telling you they're closed and she'll take a message to "pass on for Monday morning". When I queried if the card would be cancelled immediately, she said "I can't promise anything, Eddie's going to voicemail right now". I've no idea who Eddie is, or why he's integral to a process which should be fairly seamless and automated.

However, upon further investigation, their "24/7 support" line is simply a virtual office/messaging service. They literally have no access to Curve systems whatsoever, thus are powerless to do anything other than relay messages to whomever is "on call" that night. If he/she doesn't answer (as in my case), you'll be waiting until the next working day, at least.

Thankfully, a verified Twitter account allows me to attract a fair bit of media attention quickly... and a few hours later, the CEO & CTO are followers. I messaged them both immediately... neither responded.

In principle, Curve is a great idea. Unfortunately, it appears to be run by a team who simply cannot cope. Waiting a week to cancel a card being used fraudulently is beyond a joke... likewise blaming customers for your own failings as a company.

Do not trust this company with your cards; it's not safe.

[Edit]

As I submitted this review, "Eddie" rang back. He confirmed the 24/7 number is an external company, not the "dedicated Curve line" they promise but said the company isn't in a position to change it (presumably lack of finances, but he didn't say nor suggest that). My account is being cancelled now and he'll following up with an email to confirm.

Caporegime
I suspect we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg at the moment and we're going to see tons of companies getting launched in the fintech industry.

I wonder how many of these cowboys came across when crypto collapsed like a house of cards.

Caporegime
Me and the wife use it. I find it superb.

For those people with Starling/Monzo. If you have multiple accounts, do you need a separate card per account or can you switch which account is linked through the app?

I have a Personal and Business account with Starling, I get a card each.

One thing with Revolut I like is you can create a virtual card, can't see that with Monzo or Starling.

Back
Top Bottom