Hong Kong holiday

Soldato
Where to stay that dosnt break the bank? looking at a 7 night stay in Hong Kong I dont want to go that far only to come back fast.

Current boutique hotel im looking at is Butterfly on Prat - Tsim Sha Tsui decent reviews to cost ratio on Booking.com and in one of the best locations according to research.

So I love my photography I always see photos from moutain areas overlooking the city any good tips for photography locations.? Secondly food and drink because accomodation is not exactly cheap I would like to offset the costs with places that are cheap to and eat and drink any tips are welcome.

Shame Virgin flights leave so late from London I love arriving in Asia early morning so have whole day to do stuff and I prefer direct flights.

Associate
The last few visits we've made to Hong Kong we've stayed at a hotel called Ovolo Noho which recently rebranded to Mojo Nomad. It's relatively cheap by Hong Kong standards. Quite the basic setup but in all honesty all you need is a comfortable bed and working facilities.

Grab yourself the open rice app for food recommendations. Most reviews are made by the locals and they don't tend to put up with poor food and service so you can count on them being honest. A few places fromy previous trip were Ippudo HK central, BEP, Oddies, Dim Sum Square.

The obvious place for harbour shots would be along the peak trail, however I prefer lion rock which overlooks kowloon. Mongkok is a great area for urban photography, and islands like cheung chau if you want to see some of small town Hong Kong.

I tend to fly Cathay Pacific. Pretty sure it's a morning arrival from both Heathrow and Manchester.

Associate
Watching with interest.

I’m booked to be in Hong Kong for a few days in May. We have booked an Air B&B.

Planning on a side trip to Macau.

Associate
You need to look at the Mongkok area in Kowloon for cheap accommodation that is still within walking distance of the avenue of stars etc. It's on the mainland but getting over to the island is very easy.

Public transport is dirt cheap there so get familiar with the bus routes and fill your boots. Food wise, loads of street food around for virtually nothing and places like Starbucks are around a 1/3 of the price of the UK. Restaurants are like most cities, you can find places to eat for £10 or £1000, just do some research and have TripAdvisor ready on your phone.

Soldato
Just a prewarning, 7 nights in Hong Kong might be abit too long. I spent 8 nights there and I was board after 5 nights.

That said, they have some lovely beaches.

Caporegime
I still remember you telling me all about it, maybe next time I'll upgrade to club :D

A buffet breakfast that has everything from dim sum, fruit, noodles, curry, rice, pastries, fresh bread, cereals, bacon, eggs, sausages, hashbrown, yogurts etc etc, snacks all day with an afternoon tea 2 hour thing where they bring out delicious food including a piece of chocolate with a piece of gold on it!? free drinks all day including a proper bean to cup coffee machine (they even have take away paper cups like those from Starbucks to take away), tea soft drinks and beers and wine and spirits too, between 6-8pm there is also more food (hot food this time) and also unlimited champagne.

It is insanely good value, not to mention it includes access to the gym (better equipped than ANY gym i've ever been to) on the 40th floor or something so hell of a view when you are running, and also access to the roof top pool. They even let me do a photoshoot there!

The cost of this? about £40, so if you are with a friend, £20 per person.

I didn't go to Starbucks once on my last stay there, I basically had enough coffee to make that £20 worthwhile alone lol

Afternoon snack. (That's Watermelon Vodka, was amazing.)

ZToWsJ7.jpg

WR6ecaJ.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a prewarning, 7 nights in Hong Kong might be abit too long. I spent 8 nights there and I was board after 5 nights.

1 day in Macau and 6 days in HK is quite good, allows you to take your time and do things at a slower pace.

Soldato
A buffet breakfast that has everything from dim sum, fruit, noodles, curry, rice, pastries, fresh bread, cereals, bacon, eggs, sausages, hashbrown, yogurts etc etc, snacks all day with an afternoon tea 2 hour thing where they bring out delicious food including a piece of chocolate with a piece of gold on it!? free drinks all day including a proper bean to cup coffee machine (they even have take away paper cups like those from Starbucks to take away), tea soft drinks and beers and wine and spirits too, between 6-8pm there is also more food (hot food this time) and also unlimited champagne.

It is insanely good value, not to mention it includes access to the gym (better equipped than ANY gym i've ever been to) on the 40th floor or something so hell of a view when you are running, and also access to the roof top pool. They even let me do a photoshoot there!

The cost of this? about £40, so if you are with a friend, £20 per person.

I didn't go to Starbucks once on my last stay there, I basically had enough coffee to make that £20 worthwhile alone lol

Next time for sure man, next Asia trip is back to Japan :)

Soldato
OP
Cordis Hotel in Mongkok, keep an eye on expedia and booking.com for offers.

Looks lovely but trying to keep the budget under £1000 for the accomodation

Oh really didnt know much about Hong Kong beaches in truth?

What’s your budget?

Id say £1,000 for accomodation the Butterfly on Prat works out just under that and decent enough reviews

Caporegime
Looks lovely but trying to keep the budget under £1000 for the accomodation

Oh really didnt know much about Hong Kong beaches in truth?

Id say £1,000 for accomodation the Butterfly on Prat works out just under that and decent enough reviews

£1000 for 7 days?

Look at the Cordis then, one recommended above.

HK has some lovely beaches, its on the south side of HK Island. Check out Repulse Bay.

Caporegime
I might be going October!

I have a wedding...so need to work around that.

Anyway, back to OP.

if you know where you are going and know what to eat and plan it out, you can hit everything on most Tourist guides in 5 days.

But it depends how much you want to see, do you want to see things like the Gold Fish street or the 10,000 Buddhas, or even some remote fishing village? Those things are normally lower than on the list and can pad out your itinerary to like 10 days if you want.

Having lived there and been back quite a lot, I have actually hit everything on the top 50 (may be even top 100, I've done some random stuff) things to do on most guides. Some I wouldn't bother, like the birds or flower market (street). Some I go back every year, like the Peak. Some are my new must do, like the Ozone Bar in the Ritz (need deep pocket...£20 a drink).

Back
Top Bottom