• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia RTX 5 months on-a win or fail?

Soldato
How can you compare a DirectX API to RTX? If the game does or doesn't have DX12 you still can play the same game with or without a performance boost. RTX you either have it or do not have it.

You have paid for a Just Works feature that can on really be seen in one game and 3Dmark

Its a failure at this rate simple as that.

Soldato
I actually agree that DX12 is a failure but that doesn't stop some AMD diehards proclaiming it to be the second coming of christ

It's certainly not the second coming but when done right it does use the power of AMD cards and the games look great while running at good fps. The potential is there but it seems like to much work for the developers. Vega 64 on a proper dx12 title runs great. Ever since mantle came around games have shown that low level is better if used properly along with dx12 and Vulkan. Why anyone does not want this to be used properly is beyhond my thinking. My best experience was on my old system in the division where dx12 made the game feel way better compared to dx11. The i7920 and 290 combo was a different beast in dx12 compared to dx11.

Caporegime
Still waiting to play Tomb Raider in my library with RayTracing. BFV looks good with it on but one game so far? That is meh. DLSS only works at 4K and as a UWS gamer, I want it to work at 3440x1440. Price is very very **** and I do want to see some proper RT games to make it swallow a little easier. Performance is fantastic mind, so that is a plus but overall, a bit of a fail IMO.

Soldato
Still waiting to play Tomb Raider in my library with RayTracing. BFV looks good with it on but one game so far? That is meh. DLSS only works at 4K and as a UWS gamer, I want it to work at 3440x1440. Price is very very **** and I do want to see some proper RT games to make it swallow a little easier. Performance is fantastic mind, so that is a plus but overall, a bit of a fail IMO.

Good summary tbf. I am sure the 2080ti performs well but the price is daft for a top end supposedly mainstream card.

Soldato

Its a shame really because I do really want to see this become a new standard for games. It will push AMD to build a GPU to use this DirectX tech. Am down for it.

At this moment its just like some tech AMD has had that seen only couple games then died The Audio thingy I forget the name. Its great on paper but the devs need to use it.

I would really like to know what is holding up the Tomb Raider RT though.

Caporegime
Same. I love the TR series and was one of the main reasons I jumped on the 2080Ti. BFV does look good with it mind but like I said, one game so far? I am dissapoint!

Uncle Jensen's "donations" to developers to adopt rtx must have been smaller this year so they're dragging their heels :p

Soldato
Performance increase over previous series: Fail
Price: Fail
Real world usefulness of RTX and DLSS: Fail
Overall: Fail

Sorry do you actually own a 20 series card? The amount of experts that have opinions on here, without having experienced it for themselves is off the charts.

Your original post:Fail.....

Caporegime
Same. I love the TR series and was one of the main reasons I jumped on the 2080Ti.

My guess is that they've ****canned it due to awful performance levels, or will release it so far ahead that people have given up on caring about it.

Metro Exodus will be one to keep an eye on, if that doesn't ship with RTX/DLSS then something is definitely wrong...

Mobster
Soldato
Do you really think realtime raytracing is a win after 6 months? as I think the OP meant the RTX feature specifically, not RTX cards in general.

Ah. Well I think the jury is still out on that. It's new tech, take up is obviously going to be slow, we've essentially got 1 game but that does look and play great and what impressed me was that any performance issues were dealt with quickly On RTX alone, I need more games to make any judgement on it properly.

Associate
I must say it stung the bank a bit when I purchased the 2080ti FE and stuck an EK water block on it for my custom loop but DAMN...…Overclocked while running around 50 degrees C this thing is a BEAST!!!!!

Yes its taking longer than expected to get the RTX support on games, but at the end of the day if your not willing to spend that extra money on a gaming PC then you might as well go the console route nowadays, that's my opinion anyway.

Soldato
Difficult one. I class it as a win but in the eyes of many it's a failure. Why win? It's bold step with new tech that is laying the groundwork for future GPU's. Many will reap the rewards in the future. I'm intentionally not mentioning pricing, just the tech :).
I've found the 2080 stable(no issues) and RT is nice to experience as an enthusiast. Perfect? Nope, but it is a complex tech that NV has introduced and I class it as a "taster" of the future.
I work with companies on software solutions and know how important it is to get it into the hands of users (gamers and devs in this case) ASAP, to help develop it further, so I don't think it's been released too early.
I think they've made good progress with RT since the early BFV demo. On the flipside it's a shame an RT version of SOTR has not been released yet. It's also a shame DLSS hasn't appeared in the main RT game yet(BFV), when they've managed to get it into a recently released benchmark(I remember thinking nevermind that ****, sort it out in BFV :) ).
Overall I say a win still though!

Metro Exodeus really needs RT and DLSS on launch day to help prove the success of the 20 series GPU's IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry do you actually own a 20 series card? The amount of experts that have opinions on here, without having experienced it for themselves is off the charts.

You dont need to own something to assess its value or fitness for purpose. All of the points I made are true whether owning the card or not.

Associate
I didn't buy my 2080ti for RTX, and I'm very happy with it.
I started playing Dragon Age Inquisition at 4k at max settings with my 1080ti. It had drops to about 48 fps and when in open areas the slight flickerbook effect of fps lows was very much evident.
I resumed playing with my 2080ti and I got rock solid 60fps and totally smooth play.
That's what I wanted and what I have got. I would not have known without owning it.
Any benefits RTX may bring in games will just be a bonus on top. Metro Exodus in a few days will be one of the puddings of proof.
I sold my 1080ti Strix for £610.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd take it from Nvidia's own admission in their recent letter to investors, that the market has not welcomed Turing based products warmly and the lack of software has impacted uptake. Next quarter for Nvidia will be crucial to prove that they can sell a product based on a promise, and at least deliver it late. If they manage another decline in revenue then that will tell you if Turing has been a success, since they claim all excess inventory of Pascal is gone.

Soldato
You dont need to own something to assess its value or fitness for purpose. All of the points I made are true whether owning the card or not.

What by using the same word over and over again to assess it.

It’s a decent jump over the last gen how is it a fail?

New tech takes some time, so maybe they should have waited a little but it doesn’t just do RTX.

Did you want something for nothing ? Not all the cards are over the top price wise.

Soldato
I'd disagree a bit with you there. It's a bit like the top end model of a car not being much faster on paper than the next one down and declaring it rubbish or a waste of cash over the cheaper model, but only if you own one or at least have driven one do you understand why the car IS worth spending the extra on.

I'm sure many have had a negative opinion about something only to change their mind having once tried it or bought it.
I know I won't be buying a GPU without RT moving forward.

Soldato

So you're saying realtime raytracing after 5 months is a win? I dont actually own a 20 series card but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the RTX feature is a fail. The 20 series cards do have very good non-RTX performance but the OP was refering to RTX itself.

Soldato
5 months on Ray Tracing is a BIG win after tried both Battlefield V and Quake 2 with Ray Tracing on, Ray Tracing looked incredible and much better than rasterization. Hated the sight of rasterization flaws on player in first person view and on weapons in almost every games included Resident Evil 2, glad Ray Tracing fixed rasterization flaws in Battlefield V. 3DMark Port Royal with both Ray Tracing and DLSS on, very impressed with combined RT+DLSS performance and DLSS put TAA to shame.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/metr...ngside-the-real-time-ray-tracing-rtx-effects/

Metro Exodus confirmed will have Ray Tracing on launch day next week! Cant wait to play my 3rd ray tracing game next week. :D

Still waiting for games with DLSS support and also combined RT+DLSS support.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8...2060-review-nearly-fast-gtx-1080/index12.html

Nvidia tested Battlefield V with both RT and DLSS enabled in early build on RTX 2060 back in January saw almost no performance hit compared to RT and DLSS disabled, it as fast as GTX 1080.

I wondered what hold DICE back from release patch update with DLSS support? I guess it probably will need DirectML support in next Windows 10 April 2019 feature update for boost Ray Tracing and DLSS peformance.

I hope someone out here already start their projects to add Ray Tracing in old games like Unreal 1, Quake 3, Quake 4, Doom 3 and Wolfenstein.

I don't know why some people think Ray Tracing is a fail after 5 months!

I looked back to 3D after 5 months on 3dfx Voodoo 1 with first 2 3D games Tomb Raider and Quake, is 3D a fail after 5 months? NO. 3D was a BIG win after 5 months, Tomb Raider graphic looked really very stunned in 3Dfx Glide version compared to horrified vile pixeled 2D version with 3D software render and Quake graphics looked best in 3D with 3dfx MiniGL version compared to awful pixeled 2D version with 3D software render.

Edit:

Just saw on Nvidia reddit that next Battlefield V update on 12 February 2019 will have DLSS support enabled as well further DXR optimizations.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/aolz9t/dlss_support_and_more_ray_tracing_improvements/

http://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/dice...2_Lightning_Strikes_Update_12022019_FINAL.pdf

PC-Specific Improvements

• This update includes further optimizations to DXR ray tracing performance and introduces NVIDIA DLSS to Battlefield V, which uses deep learning to improve game performance while maintaining visual quality.

Cant wait to play Battlefield V with both DXR and DLSS enabled next week then Metro Exodus 3 days later with DXR enabled. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom