• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 580 8gb or 280x and wait for Navi

Soldato
Hi guys im not too sure what to do I need a better graphics card,

Im not sure what to do get the 580 8gb which is on offer or get a used 280x which was the last card I had and waid for navi. If I buy the 580 likeley I wont be able to get the navi.

I already order the 580 but having 2nd thoughts.

Soldato
Well, what's your budget? Imo if you can stretch to a Vega 56 Pulse do it. It will likely end up very competitive price/performance vs Navi cards & you can enjoy it right now. 570/580s are not bad either, very competitively priced.

Soldato
OP
Hi,

The RX 580 8G is 50-55% faster than the R9 280X.
Navi won't be earlier than September-October-November, so too much time to wait.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r9-280x.c2398
Thanks for the reply
I did think of that but the price diffrence is over 2 times as much when comparing used,
the reason i'm having 2nd thoughts is 1. I wont be able to upgrade to navi for a year at least, 2. it likely to be the same cost as what I will spend on a 580 now.

why not got a used 570. or get a 470/480 there even cheaper

280x's are a rip of now things have moved on too much
The 280x would be below £50 the 570 and 480 would be around £80 - £90. so a 580 would work out better between the 480 and 580.
Well, what's your budget? Imo if you can stretch to a Vega 56 Pulse do it. It will likely end up very competitive price/performance vs Navi cards & you can enjoy it right now. 570/580s are not bad either, very competitively priced.
I can just about afford a new 580 right now.

Soldato
I can just about afford a new 580 right now.

What you could also do is get a 570 now, enjoy it, then when Navi comes out sell it & upgrade to that, maybe you can save up in the meantime. Tbh, you might even want to go for a cheap 2nd hand card. Lots of miners selling off their cards.

I see you were going for a 280x on the member's market. That's not a bad card to tide you over until later in the year either.

Soldato
OP
Navi is three quarters away, most likely. It's a lot of waiting. Not saying you shouldn't wait, but be prepared for the long haul :p
Yeah it is a long wait which Im not sure I will be able to last but I dont want to regret my choice later.
We dont know much about navi yet so I dont know if it would be much better but im assuming from how thinks have changed in AMD cards it will be 10%-15% faster then the 580 on a new platform and may have some extra features but the price maybe a bit more.
What you could also do is get a 570 now, enjoy it, then when Navi comes out sell it & upgrade to that, maybe you can save up in the meantime. Tbh, you might even want to go for a cheap 2nd hand card. Lots of miners selling off their cards.

I see you were going for a 280x on the member's market. That's not a bad card to tide you over until later in the year either.
Thats what I was thinking, its something ive had in the past so I know they are good cards and it will cost me less the 1/4 or a new 580 but on the other side I could alway sell the 580 if i did want to upgrade to navi when the time comes .
Unless I get lucky most used prices dont seam that good compared to some new cards when you consider everything .

Last edited:
Permabanned
You can get the 580 now, enjoy it, and once the time comes for a new upgrade, consider the options again. You can upgrade in February next year, for example, with whatever is the best then.

Caporegime
The difference in price between the 570 and 580 Is £30 would it still be better to get the 570 ?

Depends if you can be bothered with cancelling/sending the 580 back. If money is that tight then the best bang for buck card available right now is the RX570. It'll punch not too far below a 580 for a lower cost. Then, nearer the time, you can sell it on and put the money towards what you're really hoping to get, whatever that may be.

Check out other deals where free games are factored in as well.

Soldato
OP
I've chosen to go ahead for the 580 with the games and warranty its worth the difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
how much is the 580? you can get a gigabyte FTW2 1060 6gb for £215, i dont know how good the card is, i paid £25 extra for my misi aero which is very good, they are better than a 570/580.

Back
Top Bottom