• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** HIGH-END 2080TI's NOW IN STOCK: STRIX, TRIO, LIGHTNING, AORUS, WATER-COOLED ALL IN STOCK!!! ***

Soldato
People keep rolling this line out every time there is a new console on the horizon but PC hardware evolves fast enough to stay ahead.

That was true years ago. Not anymore. Most AAA games are console ports anyways. Cloud gaming is coming whether you like it or not in the next 10 years or so. PC's won't be needed for gaming anymore. just content creation and work loads.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

If a forum member wants a Lightning card by the way I would do them at £1500 inc, of course 1 per customer, the price online shall stay at £1999.99 simply as it brings a lot of traffic and over the weekend we've sold over 50 of the Strix cards because of vastly increased traffic in the section. :)

Any forum member interested needs to post in CS linking to this thread, so they have to be a member. :)

ljt

ljt

Soldato
People keep rolling this line out every time there is a new console on the horizon but PC hardware evolves fast enough to stay ahead.

But the performance jump between generations of GPU are getting much much smaller, we are plateauing out. We've gone from a 70% increase between 980ti and 1080ti to a 30% increase between 1080ti and 2080ti in just 1 generation, and a to top it off a significant upshot in cost to consumer.

Soldato
Hi there

If a forum member wants a Lightning card by the way I would do them at £1500 inc, of course 1 per customer, the price online shall stay at £1999.99 simply as it brings a lot of traffic and over the weekend we've sold over 50 of the Strix cards because of vastly increased traffic in the section. :)

Any forum member interested needs to post in CS linking to this thread, so they have to be a member. :)

cant say fairer than that imo..... (not that i am interested myself, but it seems a "reasonable" price for the card for those who do want it.)

Caporegime
Hi there

So us basically going LULZ at the price made you more sales? Wheres our cut? :mad::p

Associate
There will always be room for high spec gaming PCs.
Doesn't even need to be high spec gaming. My eldest sold his Xbox One to upgrade his PC to a 1060 6gb because he wasn't into the games on the console. He much prefers indie titles and modding games. Middle child still has a PS4 for Fortnite and Ark otherwise his Steam library is many many times the size of his console collection.

The idea PC gaming is dead at each console release is as old as the hills.

Soldato
I miss the good old days £550 for a 980 Ti the absolute most I've spent is £719 on an evga 1080 Ti and that was tough! These prices are insane 'only and '£1999.99' don't go together.

Could build a top spec system with a 2070 for half the cost
Hi there

That’s very Kind of you! Gibbo
If I haven’t of bought the FTW3 card I’d be all over this!

Soldato
That was true years ago. Not anymore. Most AAA games are console ports anyways. Cloud gaming is coming whether you like it or not in the next 10 years or so. PC's won't be needed for gaming anymore. just content creation and work loads.

:D

The internet is nowhere good enough for that, and there will be enthusiast’s building and creating, whether you like it or not!

Soldato
Are people really call £1000,£1500 reasonable ? :eek:
reasonable in terms of the going rate however you will see if you look that I said "reasonable" (the inverted commas are important for context)

I cancelled my RTX 2080ti because £1049 for a gpu with the specs to the 2080ti was not what i considered good value myself, but in the current climate it WAS a relatively good price.

(instead i bought a 1080ti and a pinball table, which overall cost me a truck ton more money than just keeping the damn 2080ti!!!)

Associate
Shows how utterly dumb the gpu space is at present :( £1100 is probably the new baseline price for any future top end cards now.

Not really. Nvidia had to reforecast and explain the slow sales of RTX cards.

Even without AMD, nvidia needs to be move units. If anything, they can hold back performance to allow for an release annual cycle at lower price points.

Associate
It will be in 10 years. whether you like it or not:D

The limitation is physics, not the quality of the cable or the machine at the other end. It's not going to change in 10 years or 10,000 years. Now whether people will settle for a lower quality experience - we'll see, that may happen but the basic limitations will exist forever. Battlesense has a good video the inherent problems of cloud gaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY_zjGAXs_8

Furthermore, I don't think Cloud gaming is very compatible with PC gaming. It makes things like modding very difficult, and works against the freedom that PC gamers enjoy. As PC gaming expands into markets like China, it also creates many problems in terms of centralised control and censorship.

Soldato
The limitation is physics, not the quality of the cable or the machine at the other end. It's not going to change in 10 years or 10,000 years.

Of course it will change. Cloud gaming is here now, but in limited forum. Internet will get better. Just in the last 5 years it's much better then it has ever been. I'm not saying it's going to be amazing for cloud gaming everywhere, but some countries will have the infrastructure for it already. It's amazing how far we have come just in the last 25 years. Before that we didn't even have internet. So yes it will happen.

Man of Honour
Hi there

Do you have any plans to sell the RTX Titan?

CaseKing sell the cards

https://www.caseking.de/en/nvidia-titan-rtx-24576-mb-gddr6-gcnv-009.html

It is a bit late for me this time but I prefer to buy all my components if possible from OcUK because of the great service and support.

Associate
Of course it will change. Cloud gaming is here now, but in limited forum. Internet will get better. Just in the last 5 years it's much better then it has ever been. I'm not saying it's going to be amazing for cloud gaming everywhere, but some countries will have the infrastructure for it already. It's amazing how far we have come just in the last 25 years. Before that we didn't even have internet. So yes it will happen.

If you want, for example, low latency esports-type stuff or high VR performance with foveated rendering, there are a number of problems:

1) The speed of light
2) The light bounces as it travels through the fibre cable. This adds a lot of distance - to solve this we'd need to a) invent something vastly thinner yet stronger and b) replace all cabling in the world with it.
3) Light moves more slowly through the material than in a vacuum.
4) Every router and cable connection adds further latency as we move between material contacts.

If you're the kind of person who buys a gaming monitor for 1ms response and that sort of stuff - not to mention demands of forthcoming VR, then we're already in trouble before we even move into other problems.

Cloud gaming may well replace the low end pc gaming market and low end gaming laptop segments - at 30fps, the increased response doesn't matter as much. But to think of the "internet" as an ever exponentially increasing performance commodity is as wrong as assuming that cpus will endlessly node shrink to go faster. They won't, Physics exists.

Back
Top Bottom