Relocating to the south west, Bristol or Cardiff?

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like both are fine. Which is great as it may come down to the job.

Cardiff appeals because its so close to my hobbies (kayaking, nice beaches, wildlife) but feel Bristol has more opportunities. But I could get a lovely house for much less in Cardiff than Bristol

Associate
What is your line of work? The music scene is better in Bristol but other than that i think there' a far better, more friendly vibe and way more accesible coast and country from Cardiff.

House prices and standard of living are better as well.

I like Bristol a lot bit it can feel a bit 'moody' on times, political unrest.etc. Cardiff certainly has amore 'innocent fun'/'ignorance is bliss' way to it

Man of Honour
I'm probably a bit bias but big fan of Bristol/Bath area (more the outlying areas which can be a bit sleepy/quiet but usually well connected to the cities) myself or possibly a bit further down into the South West.

Soldato
Having lived in Cardiff, I don't think I would again - there isn't really much there.

Cardiff as a city was great - I loved the culture, the people and atmosphere, but there isn't much to keep you there. Sure, it's quite cheap, but sometimes it pays to be in a better location.

For me it was just too far from everything. If I wanted to do something, I'd at the very least have to travel to Bristol, which is about a 40 min journey by train, and can be similar by car due to the annoying speed controlled parts of the motorway around newport

Soldato
Bristol wins hands down for me. Ive lived all over the country but Bath and Bristol have always been home! I currently live in Bath but lived in Bristol for a good few years. As for places to avoid.. Hartcliffe, Knowle West, Laurence Weston, Yate and Bradley Stoke, parts of Hengrove and parts of St Pauls, don't get drawn in to living "in the city" too much most of the out lying areas are only a 30 min commute in to the centre and lots of businesses are looking to move away from city offices as its too expensive for ground rent. Keynsham, Kingswood, Downend and Staple Hill are all lovely areas.

Soldato
I like both but would choose Bristol over Cardiff. However as said before it's not cheap so will depend on your financial situation also I would only choose Bristol if I could use public transport to get to work as traffic is pretty bad there.

Man of Honour
Bristol wins hands down for me. Ive lived all over the country but Bath and Bristol have always been home! I currently live in Bath but lived in Bristol for a good few years. As for places to avoid.. Hartcliffe, Knowle West, Laurence Weston, Yate and Bradley Stoke, parts of Hengrove and parts of St Pauls, don't get drawn in to living "in the city" too much most of the out lying areas are only a 30 min commute in to the centre and lots of businesses are looking to move away from city offices as its too expensive for ground rent. Keynsham, Kingswood, Downend and Staple Hill are all lovely areas.
There is a new build area near Keynsham that is an absolute dream - big houses right by the train station and essentially 5 mins to temple meads, which is where I work.

Just too expensive... I’ll have to live in my pokey house a little longer :p

Edit - it’s called Somerdale.

https://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/find-your-home/england/somerset/keynsham/somerdale

Some of the detached homes there *drool*

Associate
I live in Cardiff (so I am biased) but I often to go Bristol for work and an occasional night out. As a young professional Cardiff is fantastic as it is on the up, so you are still getting great value and a lot of financial, tech and legal firms are relocating here. I love sport and we have some great events that Bristol can only dream of. We are also close to the Brecon Beacons and a great coastline. The whole region makes for some top cycling and outdoor activities. For nightlife, it is much more compact than Bristol, but we also have great areas outside the city centre for boozing i.e. Pontcanna and Roath which are more pub/bar focused.

You can't go wrong with either, but I imagine you'd be getting (for now) a much bigger house for your money. However, house prices are rapidly increasing in the "gentrified areas" so don't be surprised if it's more expensive than you may believe.

Don't venture into Ely or Llanrumney!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd choose Cardiff. It's a great little city that offers good range of shops, post-grad opportunities and nightlife.

Caporegime
OP
I don't really care about nightlife, but outdoor side of things and cheap houses are massive perks to Cardiff.
Mostly I spend my time in house doing geeky stuff or at pub with friends during day playing. Boardgames, activities like laser quest.
Other side of me is kayaking, body boarding (with aim to surf ) exploring countryside

I work in BI, data analysis

More I think about it more. I am drawn to Cardiff. I'll probably live on the outskirts as I live in a market town now.

Garden is also a desire and seems much more Feasible in Cardiff

With salaries so Close it seems a bit of a no brainer to look in Cardiff

Soldato
The problem is, if you move to Bristol you'll never want to leave and it's £LOL expensive now. Ignorance is bliss, so maybe go straight to Cardiff and live like a king.

Soldato
There is a new build area near Keynsham that is an absolute dream - big houses right by the train station and essentially 5 mins to temple meads, which is where I work.

Just too expensive... I’ll have to live in my pokey house a little longer :p

Edit - it’s called Somerdale.

https://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/find-your-home/england/somerset/keynsham/somerdale

Some of the detached homes there *drool*

If you are going new build I want not buy a Taylor Wimpey house.

Man of Honour
If you are going new build I want not buy a Taylor Wimpey house.
Ha I did wonder whether anyone would make a comment like that :p It’s all much of a muchness IMO. There is always risk with buying any home, let alone a new build, and the mega-developers are always by virtue going to have the highest number of ‘negative experiences’. Plus people are woeful at enforcing snagging. For what it’s worth, I do gather that Crest and Bloor are the ‘least bad’.

The thing to be careful of, I think, are semi-detached new builds. Always going to be a high risk of annoyance from noise.

Not that I’m buying one anyway :(

Soldato
Ha I did wonder whether anyone would make a comment like that :p It’s all much of a muchness IMO. There is always risk with buying any home, let alone a new build, and the mega-developers are always by virtue going to have the highest number of ‘negative experiences’. Plus people are woeful at enforcing snagging. For what it’s worth, I do gather that Crest and Bloor are the ‘least bad’.

The thing to be careful of, I think, are semi-detached new builds. Always going to be a high risk of annoyance from noise.

Not that I’m buying one anyway :(

I work for a sub contractor for them, not on that site they so they might be ok. :p I would put them in the worst bracket with persimmon/charles church and barratt/david wilson to be honest. However you can get decent site agents at some of their sites so it does vary from development to development.

Back
Top Bottom