MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Soldato
Looked around an RF in my local dealer today and I liked it a lot. It was new and 3k off but was an auto. A nice snug fit and a bit of a workout getting in and out but left feeling pretty positive about it. The Mazda side of the dealer (they share it with Ford) was empty, nobody there at all (no sales staff) so was able to look around uninterrupted. I like the interior too. Ran out of time as I wanted to check what it would be like getting in and out of with the roof up so will have to pop back.
I like the look of the RF and the folding hard top would probably be more suitable as I don't use a garage at the moment, but I think I'd really want the soft top folder if I went ahead with it, partly due to less weight - would just want it as a fun car.
Thought I was a bad fit for me at first but manage to put the seat right back and recline the back a little to lower my head a bit.
Need to find out if the recaro's allow more headroom. Wouldn't be a deal breaker if not.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the Recaros in mine. Very snug when sitting in them. They’re the ones with the speakers in the headrest (honestly I don’t know if they actually make a difference in sound) but nice to have regardless. Also heated as standard etc.

My car actually had the original leather seats in at first (which I really did not like) but when I was walking around the showroom I noticed an auto mx5 with recaros.... I said to the sales guy, the auto doesn’t come with them as standard, right ? And said to him I’d buy the car that I have now if he threw the recaros in :D got a free alloy too ! Great service.

Even for 3k off I wouldn’t go for the auto. Try to get the 2.0ltr manual. :)

Soldato
How's the latest model as a dail

Saw this video a few days ago.Been considering various options including a heavy weight M2 but wouldn't mind going back to something relatively light again and trying a convertible (never had one before). Was thinking about popping into my local mazda dealer to see if they had any in the showroom. How's the latest MX5 for near 6 footers? I;m 5"11 and a bit :) although I have longer legs and shorter torso, I think.
Also thought about the GT86 but think the MX5 interior looks far better, nice looking exterior and lighter too. Cabin does look cramped though.

As mentioned above, i'm around 6"3 and i was fine in my mk2.5. The Mk3 was a bit squashed for me for some reason. However when i sat in the ND it was really comfortable.

The Fiat 124 is obviously a similar car, however i felt that was more cramped somehow!

Soldato
Even for 3k off I wouldn’t go for the auto. Try to get the 2.0ltr manual. :)
Not interested in the auto,might have been interested if it was the 2 litre manual pre-registered and £3k off. 30th Anniversary Edition is interesting but for that orange colour,not that it's not a nice colour, just not sure it's me :). The nice red would be my first choice, then probably blue which is the colour this one was.
As mentioned above, i'm around 6"3 and i was fine in my mk2.5. The Mk3 was a bit squashed for me for some reason. However when i sat in the ND it was really comfortable.
6'3 sounds tight fit :). Tried one for size yesterday. Seat was right back for me and reclined a little. Think I do have longer legs/shorter torso. Being an auto I didn't get to depress the clutch which is something I usually do to help set the seat up but definitely didn't need to go back any further and might have been able to move it forward a little.
I noticed with size 11-12 feet is that I kept knocking my left foot getting out I think on the dash,heel. Used to do that in a Z4 too sometimes.
Nice place to be IMO. Thought the interior quality was way ahead of the old (first gen) Z4 coupe that i had. Had no complaints at all.

Soldato
I really like the colour! I have the same car in black, but the RF version. Love my car :D great fun to drive around in the wet!

It's my first rear wheel drive car and I've had more than a few "interesting" moments in it on the same roads where my previous cars have had no trouble.

Getting some lowering springs to go with the stock bilsteins soon and a decent alignment, as it feels like I've got each wheel pointing in a different direction currently :p

Associate
Check your tyre pressures too – when I collected mine the car seemed like it was driving on ice until I spotted that all the tyres were 10-15psi over recommended.

But, yeah, a geometry check is a good idea…

Soldato
Check your tyre pressures too – when I collected mine the car seemed like it was driving on ice until I spotted that all the tyres were 10-15psi over recommended.

But, yeah, a geometry check is a good idea…

Tyre pressures were one of the first things I checked. Have them set to 29psi all around which is what the sticker in the door says.

As an aside, does anyone else have the TPMS warning go off every so often even though the tyre pressure is fine?

Soldato
My tyre pressure warning doesn’t randomly go off, at all. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it come up yet.

I’d probably take it in as a sensor may be on its way out.

Man of Honour
Great video.....
Shows that you can still go really quick in a slow (relatively) car if you know how to drive and know where the Ring goes. I would suggest many with supercars will not get close to his lap times, sadly. Fun time in an MX5 even if on parts of the track it is slow. In the fun bits it can be pretty much as quick as anything. The joys of oversteer for all to see too...and a bit of understeer on occasion, death with by some nice steering inputs.

Soldato
Shows that you can still go really quick in a slow (relatively) car if you know how to drive and know where the Ring goes. I would suggest many with supercars will not get close to his lap times, sadly. Fun time in an MX5 even if on parts of the track it is slow. In the fun bits it can be pretty much as quick as anything. The joys of oversteer for all to see too...and a bit of understeer on occasion, death with by some nice steering inputs.
Pretty light car so they're always going to perform well on track especially with a good driver. Most cars are so lardy now you need the big expensive brakes which means big diameter wheels and wide expensive tyres etc. The BMW M2 for example is not far off of 50% heavier than this thing

Last edited:
Soldato

Agreed, both the new MX5 and the GT86 look like great trackday toys that wouldn't break the bank and still get you home and to work without too much maintenance :)

Man of Honour
Pretty light car so they're always going to perform well on track especially with a good driver. Most cars are so lardy now you need the big expensive brakes which means big diameter wheels and wide expensive tyres etc. The BMW M2 for example is not far off of 50% heavier than this thing
My Mk1 race car is less than 800kgs.

Soldato
Agreed, both the new MX5 and the GT86 look like great trackday toys that wouldn't break the bank and still get you home and to work without too much maintenance :)
I’ve been looking at the GT86/BRZ lately... just pondering if it’s worth the side grade from my ‘17 RF.

The only thing I’d miss is being able to drop the roof at the touch of a button... not sure what else.

Edit. Or just get the Super200 upgrade for the RF, taking it to 200hp. It’s certainly a cheaper option.

Man of Honour
I’ve been looking at the GT86/BRZ lately... just pondering if it’s worth the side grade from my ‘17 RF.

The only thing I’d miss is being able to drop the roof at the touch of a button... not sure what else.

Edit. Or just get the Super200 upgrade for the RF, taking it to 200hp. It’s certainly a cheaper option.

I'm really not a fan of the GT86/BRZ. I've not driven the ND, but I much prefer an NC to the Toyobaru

Man of Honour
In how it drives or just in general? I was thinking about a GT86 to replace my nc2 this summer, what was it that you didn't like as much?

Stock one I drove was an auto which instantly taints my views, manual one is ~280hp supercharged

I didn't find it comfortable, the engine isn't bad when you're driving it hard but needs to be worked so it'd get tiresome as a daily ( I did ~200 miles motorway driving in the auto one)

The chassis is good but the steering felt a little too light and sensitive, steering wheel was hilariously small tooo

Soldato
I'm really not a fan of the GT86/BRZ. I've not driven the ND, but I much prefer an NC to the Toyobaru
I was having a look at one earlier. Gotta wonder why they even bothered with back seats in that thing.. ridiculously small amount of leg room (forget it if you got someone taller sat in the front!)

Back
Top Bottom