Cycling Holidays

Soldato
You're all big softies! If your life isn't at risk what's the point. Got to go at the right time of year to get a good descent in though! Lluc descent is great also and can imagine puig being good although quite fast and relatively safe.

Soldato
Excellent choice. Have you been before? Cap Formentor is a nice easy warm up ride and Sa Callobra is a must (mainly for the descent!)

yes I've been before but it was with my family in July/August and I only got a few rides in (family commitments and heat stopped me riding more) - Up to the reservoir and down from P-Pollenca and the lighthouse route a few times.

This trip is with my cycling buddies. Out and out cycling - with beer too.

Soldato
That looks amazing shamrock. Where is the 'best' place to base yourself in the SN? if there is such a thing. I dont know much about the place.

There are so many categorised climbs around this area I think you can base yourself in a few different places depending which climbs you want to do. Sierranevada.cc are based in Velez de Benaudalla, which is a bit further from the coast. We're staying in a villa in the town of Salobrena just outside of Motril. Never been myself, so we'll find out if this is a good location or not and report back!

This trip is with my cycling buddies. Out and out cycling - with beer too.

Try to get on the cycle shuttle to Andraxt if you can. It's a great point-to-point ride along the north coast and through the Tramuntana mountains with options to do some or all of the Port climbs.

Soldato
3 weeks and i'll be in P pollenca! cant wait!

then flanders shortly after that.

Quite a contrast!

Cobbles are fun the first time... not so much the second :p What you see on TV really doesn't do it justice and yes the Koppenberg really is quite gross and I am well accustomed to challenging grades. Not quite so much to being bounced around to ****, having little control over which direction you end up heading in, having my hands turn in to a blur in front of me or having to climb seated basically with my forehead on my stem to keep traction & the front down with an uncomfortably low cadence :p

Enjoy ;)

Google says that it would take 12 hours or so. Is that for real?

Absolutely not, if you don't dip down to Sa Calobra (save it for a special day...) you can take an hour off whatever you estimate.

https://www.strava.com/activities/747570579

Soldato
Quite a contrast!
Cobbles are fun the first time... not so much the second :p What you see on TV really doesn't do it justice and yes the Koppenberg really is quite gross and I am well accustomed to challenging grades. Not quite so much to being bounced around to ****, having little control over which direction you end up heading in, having my hands turn in to a blur in front of me or having to climb seated basically with my forehead on my stem to keep traction & the front down with an uncomfortably low cadence :p

Enjoy ;)

Absolutely not, if you don't dip down to Sa Calobra (save it for a special day...) you can take an hour off whatever you estimate.

https://www.strava.com/activities/747570579

Flanders / Roubaix / LBL is out yearly outing; we are well aware of the pain that cobbles offer! Belgian beer, waffles and watching the pro's the next day more than makes up for it though. Last year was Roubaix and my forearms were so sore from the bouncing. I was on 28's and the time previous I was on 35's.

Mallorca is the first time we have been anywhere that needs a flight. Non of us have done much over winter so we are a little cautious spending such a long time in the saddle on one day - the next day might be a write off and we would rather do something every day.

Cheers for the routes both. I'll see what the feedback is.

Soldato
Flanders / Roubaix / LBL is out yearly outing; we are well aware of the pain that cobbles offer! Belgian beer, waffles and watching the pro's the next day more than makes up for it though. Last year was Roubaix and my forearms were so sore from the bouncing. I was on 28's and the time previous I was on 35's.

Mallorca is the first time we have been anywhere that needs a flight. Non of us have done much over winter so we are a little cautious spending such a long time in the saddle on one day - the next day might be a write off and we would rather do something every day.

Cheers for the routes both. I'll see what the feedback is.

Watched the pro's whizz past on the Kwaremont and then fly up the Patenberg last year, quite a sight. Enjoy!

To be honest riding the north coast, without descending to all the ports and ascending Puig Major (quite long as you'll see) will probably be sufficient for you for a 'long' day as it was me. Great views and plenty of shorter ascents along the way, great descents too.

I headed back to do Sa Calobra when it was cooler and with fresher legs. I actually enjoyed Coll De Sall Batalla more! It's on route if you approach from the south. But Calobra is iconic enough you just need to tick it off. For info:

https://www.strava.com/activities/749615323

Soldato
Guys, in your scouting of accommodation if you came across anything on Majorca/anywhere (sub 4h flight away) which did the following please hit me up:
  • Half-board, or ideally all inclusive
  • Swimming pools/kids splash pools/slides etc either on site, or near
  • Walking distance to beach
  • Less than 3-4 hours transfer, ideally coach
  • Many room options
  • Hotel/local bike hire for a day or two and decent riding within reach so I could go out and ride for a few hours/half a day.
This year I've been unable to find anything her indoors likes! Found quite a few in Alcudia but couldn't find one with the room options we want :(

I wanted to get some options but her indoors has found a deal on Kos (Greek island next to Turkey - which I've never heard of people riding). We're close to booking it (~£1200 early May or 6/7 nights, flights, all inclusive and transfers). The little guy is 17 months old so need distractions for him (pool/slides/all inclusive etc) while also needing a room/apartment with 2 bedrooms - he still has a lunctime/afternoon nap and we want to be able to close him off at bed time (7pm) while still being able to watch TV in the lounge/bedroom or drink on the balcony (and not have to sneak past a sleeping toddler). The 2 bedroom (or family room with separator) without needing to walk through the little ones room seems to not be an option anywhere (apart from places in Tunisia & Turkey).

The options of multiple rooms I found in Majorca where all Villas the Palma side at £1800+ for the week with flights, non-inclusive, with 2+ hour drives and needing car hire to get there. Driving is not an impossibility, but neither of us drives very much in the UK and have never driven abroad/on the other side of the road! :o :)

Soldato
Guys, in your scouting of accommodation if you came across anything on Majorca/anywhere (sub 4h flight away) which did the following please hit me up:
  • Half-board, or ideally all inclusive
  • Swimming pools/kids splash pools/slides etc either on site, or near
  • Walking distance to beach
  • Less than 3-4 hours transfer, ideally coach
  • Many room options
  • Hotel/local bike hire for a day or two and decent riding within reach so I could go out and ride for a few hours/half a day.

Fergus / Cabot Park / Pollenca Park / whatever it's called these days. In Port de Pollenca.
Does half-board + all inclusive.
Has swimming pool + kids pool (no slides)
5 mins walk to beach
~1 hour transfer
not sure about the room options (only ever stayed in twin rooms there but you do see families around so presumably there some options)
ProCycleHire 100metres walk from hotel
Lots of good riding nearby

Soldato
I stayed at the Fergus last year too. Wouldn't say it's the best hotel I've ever stayed in but it ticks all your boxes. All inclusive is nice for stuffing your face after a big day in the saddle. I also got a sports massage there and they have an indoor bit with jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and small pool.

I think Alcudia is less attractive as a base for cycling compared to Port de Pollenca.

Soldato
I think Alcudia is less attractive as a base for cycling compared to Port de Pollenca.

I’ve stayed there when cycling and although it doesn’t have as many cycle hire places it’s not a bad base. It’s way cheaper than PP (whilst being close enough to do all the same rides) and you can mostly avoid the ‘Brits Abroad’ mob as that all is concentrated in one area of Alcúdia.

I rented from Wheelsports I think.

Soldato
I’ve stayed there when cycling and although it doesn’t have as many cycle hire places it’s not a bad base. It’s way cheaper than PP (whilst being close enough to do all the same rides) and you can mostly avoid the ‘Brits Abroad’ mob as that all is concentrated in one area of Alcúdia.

I rented from Wheelsports I think.

I'm mainly talking in terms of distance to the interesting cycling.

Having stayed in Port de Pollenca and Pollenca Old Town, I think I prefer the town as it's literally at the foot of the Femenia. This is of course not suitable if you are after a hotel rather than Airbnb.

Soldato
Stayed in the Fergus in 2016 (I think?).

As above, perfectly ample, clean, plenty of decent food options both breakfast & dinner. Good location too. Walls are thin but c'est la vie.

Duva is a bit further in (set back from the beach) and potentially a bit 'nicer'. Actually had my Cycle Shuttle pick-up from there.

Soldato
Thanks for the recommendation. Was the only PP one we considered even near to our requirements.

It’s way cheaper than PP
That's what put us off PP. Had to compromise too much to get the price down to even consider :(

I stayed in
Aparthotel Alcudia Garden a few years ago and it was fine, and probably would offer everything you need. Was mostly Germans at the time of year we went (end of Feb)
Bookmarked thanks

Stayed in the Fergus in 2016 (I think?).

As above, perfectly ample, clean, plenty of decent food options both breakfast & dinner. Good location too. Walls are thin but c'est la vie.

Duva is a bit further in (set back from the beach) and potentially a bit 'nicer'. Actually had my Cycle Shuttle pick-up from there.
Thanks. Good shout and will keep on the radar.

Kos won this time around, could just get what we needed with the little one ('studio apartment' with a double bed & balcony, then a bedroom with a door and bed (will be taking travel cot)). All inclusive. Waterpark/spash pools. Several pools/restaurants. Transfers included, flights at reasonable times. £1600 for 2 adults & mini. Around £600 more than I wanted (she's not back to working full time yet due to childcare costs) but that's the value of the pound currently... 4 hour flight is gonna be interesting with an 18/19 month old... :o

I've put the thought in her mind for a winter break next spring. Little guy will be another year older (staying up later = more room options!) and we'll be reaching the end of the last year we have to pay full childcare/nursery (so can go back to doing 2 holidays a year). He'll be too small for a snowboard trip (our usual winter break) or a european city break with lots of walking. Fingers crossed I can get Majorca sorted! :cool:

Hurdles she's now put in my way are - 'what if you get lost/we won't know where you are/don't want you riding alone'. Give me problems and I'll find solutions woman! ;) :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom