• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1660TI

Man of Honour
I guess its anything with capacitors that can go.
just luck of the draw, really.
in 7 years, i've had 1 cpu, 1 mobo, 1 7990, 1 ssd, and 1 hdd fail lol.
just my luck :rolleyes:
everything except the 7990 and hdd (no biggie) was in warranty though...so that's probably why i'd put a higher emphasis on warranty...

Associate
Oh yeah I had 2 WD HDD fail around the same time, 2.75 years into a 3 year warranty nice :) but yeah its not 0% risk (damn).

To bring it back on topic the 1660 Ti isn't bad I guess, maybe better if the prices can come down soon.

Soldato
should've launched at £240ish imo.
but oh well. it is what it is.
no competition = get the lube out for nvidia.

Ding ding ding! lol.

I'm just salty/bitter because I want a better card for the same price that I bought 3 years ago. I'm emotional tied to that card I no longer have LMAO. Just sad the market has got this way.

Associate
Because Turing is a whole new architecture with a lot of big changes under the hood. this was Somewhat glossed over because nvidia focused on RTX and DLSS giving people the false impression that Turing is pascal with RTX+Tensor cores bolted on. The reality is Turing is a big step up in IPC, efficiency, load balancing, and normalized performance with new features such as mixed-precision OPS, unified memory, concurrent FP and INT ops, variable rate shading, along with twice the cache size.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13973/nvidia-gtx-1660-ti-review-feat-evga-xc-gaming/2

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13282/nvidia-turing-architecture-deep-dive/4
That is all well and good, but your average Joe is only interested in one thing, performance, which this card lacks compared to the competition

Soldato
should've got a 1080ti :p

hahahaha tell me about it. I'll say it one more time... then I have to be done with it crying about it (time for the grieving to end hehe) ... bought a 1070... really liked it... but then saw Vega and got excited, so sold my card in lieu of Vega coming out.... Vega sucked initially... so I waited.... then another priority came along (buying a house). By the time I was ready to buy the market went nuts and I couldn't even get a second hand card for reasonable money and it has taken all this time (since 2016) for prices to get back to being even semi reasonable.

Long and short of it, we are stuck with elevated prices, the cards don't offer any more performance for the money (from Nvidia) than they did back in 2016. Hence... my major hesitation in purchase. All I have to say to my wife is I am buying a card and I will get whatever I want..... but I hate not getting value for money.

Soldato
That is all well and good, but your average Joe is only interested in one thing, performance, which this card lacks compared to the competition

Too be fair... the average joe doesn't even know better. They have limited understanding, and will only see what is available within a range, and will LIKELY default to the cards that are stacked on the shelves of the retail store.

Soldato
@Scougar lol. i went to US a month before the mining craze. got my 1080ti for USD754 after taxes :D
walked past airport customs no issues... #winning
pre-brexit stuff as well I assume? Good times :D Good purchase!

I should have just bought the 1080ti and been done with it as well. Kicking myself.. but it is what it is.

Now I'm here watching newbie AMD fan-children try to be pathetic and claim everything is awesome, and Nvidia is the devil.. having learnt from the Nvidia toxic old guard being slightly more subtle about it. I dearly long from actual real discussion on the points of pros and cons rather than **** talking each other about who is right. I'm sure I'm guilty of it at times.

It's clear Nvidia has the upper hand. They feel no need to offer value to the customer. They could bury AMD it seems on the gfx front, but for some reason they decide not to, but instead just go for profit, rather than monopoly. Perhaps they are attempting slow attrition. Maybe they need a competitor for legal reasons?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
pre-brexit stuff as well I assume? Good times :D Good purchase!
post brexit vote, sept 2017. was $1.32/£1 IIRC, so £570. was a steal lol.
replaced my 7990 which fried after 4ish years.
hopefully it should last longer, given the stagnation in the gpu market
#comeonamd

Soldato
not so sure, depends on where you bought it from, of course. if the 1070 was sub-£200 yes, definitely the 1070 is the better deal.
but for 30 notes more, at £260, the 1660ti has 5 years warranty with zotac (and a free game fwiw) [error]

You can get a brand new zotac 1070, 5yr warranty for £275 with fortnite included.
Either way 1660ti is a pooper.

Soldato

Hmmmm however somebody on reddit got GTX 1660 Ti yesterday ran AIDA64 latest version 5.99 detected 192 Tensor cores. Maybe it has 192 dedicated Tensor or FP16 cores? It need investigate further to see if it can run Ray Tracing just like Titan V while it GTX 1660 Ti can run and completed Tensor benchmarks just fine.

pX30Neu.jpg

I downloaded and ran AIDA64 only detected 368 Tensor cores on my RTX 2080 but it did not detected RT cores:

KedupGQ.png

Soldato
no competition = get the lube out for nvidia.

WHAT!, you mean no competition like AMDs Vega56 which hands the GTX 1660 Ti it's backside in every single benchmark I've seen, has more memory and is cheaper than Nvidia offering!

I just bought one for Saturday delivery but doesn't look like it will turn up

I'm genuinely interested why you bought this card of a Vega56 for £248.99 with 3 free games?

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Soldato
WHAT!, you mean no competition like AMDs Vega56 which hands the GTX 1660 Ti it's backside in every single benchmark I've seen, has more memory and is cheaper than Nvidia offering!

I'm genuinely interested why you bought this card of a Vega56 for £248.99 with 3 free games?

HEADRAT
Yes the vega 56 is more attractive at its current price point but you could say the same thing about AMD’s 590 which without the unusually low price of vega 56 would be a better price comparison to the 1660.

The cheap vega 56’s do make both seem like a bad deal but a 2060 can be had for less than £300 and is faster/quieter/cooler/more efficient than vega 56 so one could also bring that into the mix too.

There’s now a lot of choice in the sub £300 bracket but with vega 56 priced so cheaply it starts to make sense to people including me who bought one but it does skew the market somewhat.

Problem at the moment is with AMD so far behind we are having to compare nvidias new energy efficient entry level chips with AMD’s until very recently top cards and it’s not always an easy comparison to make whether it’s on price/performance/efficiency etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
hahahaha tell me about it. I'll say it one more time... then I have to be done with it crying about it (time for the grieving to end hehe) ... bought a 1070... really liked it... but then saw Vega and got excited, so sold my card in lieu of Vega coming out.... Vega sucked initially... so I waited.... then another priority came along (buying a house). By the time I was ready to buy the market went nuts and I couldn't even get a second hand card for reasonable money and it has taken all this time (since 2016) for prices to get back to being even semi reasonable.

Long and short of it, we are stuck with elevated prices, the cards don't offer any more performance for the money (from Nvidia) than they did back in 2016. Hence... my major hesitation in purchase. All I have to say to my wife is I am buying a card and I will get whatever I want..... but I hate not getting value for money.

Imo this is the wrong way to look at it, and I know because I was guilty of it as well (holding out for after-Hawaii, with Polaris as the result - woops). A better view on things is: what res/settings do I want & in what games? Then decide based off of that. This focus on coulda/shoulda in regards to tech is a similar kind of flawed thinking as the sunk cost fallacy. Ultimately we gotta deal with what's actually here, rather than the endless possibilities that are imaginable.

The value you get from something like a Vega 56 at this moment is staggering. Anyone holding out in hopes for something more is going to be waiting for years, and at that point the value will only be there because they'll have been stuck with ancient tech for so long. I really don't see even Navi offering something better for £250 except when it comes to power consumption, and probably having less value depending on if they still run a game bundle or not (and what kind). Let's face it, this one is probably the best of all time in terms of game selection and with it re-selling for £50...

A £220 custom Vega 56? Sheesh, it's hard to even believe!

Back
Top Bottom