*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
That’s crazy. It basically makes the USG-4P irrelevant. You can get a router that is at least twice as fast (officially) as the USG-4P for the same price as a USG but it also includes what is effectively a cloud key, a small switch and an AC access point. For full redundancy you’d just buy 3 and set them all up the same. Then just swap them in if the primary goes offline for any reason.

Don't read too much into the early access price. Stuff in the EA store is heavily discounted.

Soldato
I personally don't really get the whole Edgerouter and Unifi split. Why can't they have everything adoptable under one thing? A unified environment instead of consistently separating their equipment that has different features available unless using JSON files or CLI.

I think there is a bit of a belief amongst the Unifi users that the EdgeRouter line offers all the extra features from the GUI. They don’t. For most of the stuff that you have to type into the JSON needs to be typed into the CLI on the EdgeRouters as well, it’s just that Unifi is sold as a SPoG GUI and the EdgeRouters compete with the classic Cisco stuff that people are quite used to adding rules manually, so they don’t expect all the features to be exposed in the GUI.

Unifi is relatively new, and it could be the future, but only if they sort out the issues. Lots of traditional/conservative users like the EdgeRouter GUI and individual configuration concept but in the same way, Unifi users appreciate the simplicity of the GUI. Both product lines sell very well, so there is clearly room for both concepts in the market.

Soldato
I've also noticed basic things missing that cheap CPE equipment has I.e. ipv6 support or openvpn (without using cli). Many times I've read firmware releases where people still query it.

Soldato
UniFi Dream Machine looks interesting:

ne2iado7nyl21.jpg

This in a wall mountable box and drop the included AP would seem like a descent replacement for the USG.

Soldato
Have you had a good root through the Beta features? Certainly IP v6 is in there. And I think VPN client configuration too.

As in a firmware from the beta program? Im still currently using a slightly older version of edgeOS due to many reports of ER-X's getting bricked with the latest firmware they released and later pulled.

Soldato
As in a firmware from the beta program? Im still currently using a slightly older version of edgeOS due to many reports of ER-X's getting bricked with the latest firmware they released and later pulled.

No, IP v6 in Edge is CLI only but it’s implemented in the Unifi GUI under the Beta features section. There are also a selection of VPN clients Pre-configured but I don’t think OpenVPN is one of them.

Soldato
No, IP v6 in Edge is CLI only but it’s implemented in the Unifi GUI under the Beta features section. There are also a selection of VPN clients Pre-configured but I don’t think OpenVPN is one of them.

Ah I see, I was going to go USG but there were mumblings of a new one so I went ER as it was cheaper. If a new one does appear I would seriously consider getting one. I know the community is screaming for an updated line of devices.

Soldato
You have to register on the Beta programme then when you go to the store you have to log in and the EA store will be there. But it doesn’t help much because it’s US and Canada only. So you need a friend or colleague in the US to buy it and send it in to you.

Soldato
It's only available in North America (I think, it might be USA only) and to beta forum members. It's an unlinked part of store.ubnt.com.

The apparent lack of PoE on the Unifi Dream Machine isn't ideal. The name is rubbish in my opinion.

Soldato
I don’t want to wade in too hard on UBNT and I am EXTREMELY frustrated with them at the moment but if you read the release notes they’ve COMPLETELY rewritten the controller and firmware in something called UBios. As a result, pretty much every ‘feature’ you’d expect on a basic consumer router is missing. Yes, it’s Beta, and they’re releasing it so they can test the hardware but realistically how much ‘testing’ can you do if the kit barely works?

What seriously concerns me is that they appear to have pulled ALL the Unifi developers off Unifi and put them on UBios which is why the only upgrade we saw in the last 2 iterations of Unifi Controller was the new widget screen (which reverts back to old Unifi once you click on something) and Dark mode, which is hardly revolutionary.

When you read the various comments about putting off VPN support and improving DHCP and Multi-WAN etc. you very quickly realise they were all working on UBios.

Hilariously, the release notes for UBios Controller 10.5 state that it has not yet achieved ‘feature parity’ with Unifi controller. And that has barely reached feature parity with a BT Home Hub, so let’s hope they make progress faster with UBios than with Unifi Controller recently.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a bug in the controller software where an AP shows a MAC address and not the device name?

I've got on LR by my loft hatch and the other hung at the top of the other side of the loft and wanted to rename them

Soldato
Unless you set an alias it'll show the MAC address in the device name column on the devices tab.

If you want to set an alias then go to the devices view, click on the device in question and go to the config section.

Back
Top Bottom