• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vega 56 PSU query

Associate
Hi I was wondering if someone knowledgeable could help me please.
I have purchased a vega 56 and was wondering if someone could tell me please if my PSU was suitable or not.
I have an old seasonic m12ii 520w semi modular It can provide 480w on the the 12v rails {I have included the link to the specs of it below } . Additionally I have a ryzen 2600 and 2 hard drives.

The major issue I have is that the PSU (in guessing as its very old) came with only one 6+2 pci cable and the other is just a 6 pin only. Meaning 2 pins would be empty on the gpu on one side . Would it be okay to just plug it in and leave 2 free or is it time to upgrade my PSU? I would appreciate any help thanks

http://www2.seasonic.com/product/m12ii-520-gm/

Associate
I made do with a 500w initially, without any issues, but in your specific situation I would definitely upgrade ASAP. I'm very happy with my present PSU, and would recommend it.

Associate
I have purchased a vega 56 and was wondering if someone could tell me please if my PSU was suitable or not.
I have an old seasonic m12ii 520w semi modular It can provide 480w on the the 12v rails {I have included the link to the specs of it below } . Additionally I have a ryzen 2600 and 2 hard drives.

The major issue I have is that the PSU (in guessing as its very old) came with only one 6+2 pci cable and the other is just a 6 pin only. Meaning 2 pins would be empty on the gpu on one side . Would it be okay to just plug it in and leave 2 free or is it time to upgrade my PSU? I would appreciate any help thanks

you cant leave 2 pins empty because your PSU dosnt have 2 X 8 pin. 1 x 8pin and 1 X 6 pin isn't going to be enough and have any kind of stability, go for a good quality 750w psu and enjoy your vega 56

Associate
The 6 pin from your PSU will only be 75w - the 8 pin will be 150w.
You can get a 6pin to 8 pin adaptor, but it will still only supply 75w.`
Your card can also draw 75w from the pcie slot.
You can try it, but you may well experience stability issues.
A good PSU will see you through several upgrades, so never a waste of money.

Associate
OP

Thanks for the advise. It does say 480w capable across the 12v rail so wouldn't that mean it would be spread between the 2 pci express cables (8 pin plus 6 pin)?

Associate
Thanks for the advise. It does say 480w capable across the 12v rail so wouldn't that mean it would be spread between the 2 pci express cables (8 pin plus 6 pin)?

this above explains it, your card needs 2 x 8 pin connections, supplying 150w each, you have 1 x 8 pin at 150w and 1 x 6 pin at 75w so you are 75w short of whats needed, no matter what that PSU says in watts on the 12v rail.
if it was capable of 2 x 8 pin they would have fitted it with the 8 pin to 6 pin double plug on both PCIE cables. also the GFX card is not the only thing requiring 12v

Associate
OP
Thanks guys.okay regarding a new PSU anyone got any recommendations ? I heard the vega 56 is suited to dual rail PSU's as a pose to single rail PSU, is that true?

Associate
Thanks guys.okay regarding a new PSU anyone got any recommendations ? I heard the vega 56 is suited to dual rail PSU's as a pose to single rail PSU, is that true?

Seasonic or Superflower. My current PSU is a Superflower Leadex 650W which has been powering my Vega 56 system since Vega launched. Apart from a monitor the PSU is just about the most important purchase you can make for your system. So as ever read lost of reviews etc before you buy. https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/category/reviews/power-supplies/ is a good place to start.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought the same and had a 600W psu at the time.

It caused awful coil whine.

Upgraded to an 800w psu and bingo - no coil whine

You need to upgrade in my option

Associate
Just remember not all PSU's are equal. Balance your choice against the other components in your system & your overall power requirements. A top quality PSU with a lower wattage will always be preferable to a 750-800w budget unit. And if you choose the right unit it will see you through several upgrades.

Permabanned

For now it should be okay with no overclocking but as a rule it's good practise to go with what is recommended on the GPU's box, I'm presuming they recommend a 750 watt model like they do for the Vega 64, As fastwunz mentioned the size & quality of the PSU can make all the difference with some gpu's. When Vega first released I had a 650watt EVGA G2 PSU and it was fine as long as I did no overclocking, even picking the performance option (On release Vega's had a choice of three settings in Wattman) would make the PC close down so I bought a Corsair HX850i but I now had loud coil whine so I sent it back and I grabbed a 860watt Seasonic PSU, The coil whine was gone again, even though both the Corsair and Seasonic were Platinum rated models there was clearly an issue with the Corsair so to cut a long story short (too late) you need to get at least a 750 watt PSU as recommended on the box, pick the model wisely. As an example I read something about the current Seasonic Prime PSU's playing up with Vega so if it was me I'd be looking at an EVGA or Superflower model that's at least Gold rated, never cheap out on the PSU.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I'm running an overclocked Vega 56 with a GTX 780, an overclocked threadripper 1920x, 2 pcie cards, 3 ssds, 3x 7.2k hdds, 13 fans and a D5 pump on a Seasonic Prime platinum 750W without an issue. PSU wattage calculators suggest I should need a 1200W power supply. I only use the 780 for cuda and physx so it doesn't really draw much power.

Associate
Ive just bought an EVGA Supernova 850 G2, It was at a good price, Replaces my Seasonic M12 11 evo 620w Bronze, Planning on one of the new Ryzens in the summer to replace my R5 1600 so i wanted some headroom, The EVGA's a nice quality item except the fan, Its noisier than my Seasonic, Ive left it in Eco mode so it only spins up when its needed.

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot guys I also have read about the seasonic focus having compatibility issues with vega 56. Will definitely upgrade psu thanks everyone
Someone was selling a seasonic x series 660w on classifieds. Said it was literally brand new as it didn't have the chance to be used I'm guessing that should be okay?
https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-x-series-660w-power-supply-review/
Review looks decent. I would really like to get one of the recommendations such as super flower but it is way outside my budget for now!

Back
Top Bottom