Local social media marketplaces

Soldato
Have any of you guys seen some of the shenanigans that take place on these sites?

Aside from the myriad incredible "mirror photos" you can find, time and time again I come across stories of people being ripped off, scammed, identities stolen etc.

But then we come on to the opportunists, I recently listed an Xbox one x with a few games and controllers for sale, very low price of £220, considering CEX will give me £200 alone for the console, thought it was an absolute bargain for what you are getting.

Only to start receiving messages offering me £120-140 for the lot... Considering that the One X is still £400 new I've been having a good laugh at these responses, but it really irks me, are there really people who pry over these selling pages trying to urge people into massively lower prices than advertised? I even stated on my post that i wasn't open to offers.

Half tempted to upload some of the responses to r/choosingbeggars

Soldato
Have you seen half the posts in the MM? They're exactly the same. £400. Sorry mate, but I saw one the same as this sell recently for £200 so will you take £150 for it?

are there really people who pry over these selling pages trying to urge people into massively lower prices than advertised?

Are you joking? They're accessed from mobile phones in seconds, and people are glued to them. People who are conditioned to want a deal or a bargain even if they don't want or need the item. They'll make an offer to try and get a deal.

Soldato
OP
Have you seen half the posts in the MM? They're exactly the same. £400. Sorry mate, but I saw one the same as this sell recently for £200 so will you take £150 for it?

Are you joking? They're accessed from mobile phones in seconds, and people are glued to them. People who are conditioned to want a deal or a bargain even if they don't want or need the item. They'll make an offer to try and get a deal.

Never said i was asking for £400? Said i was asking for £240 with two games and two controllers, but yeah ok.

Caporegime
It’s called negotiation. You always start low and go from there. What does it matter if the seller thinks you’re taking the ****? You’re just trying to get a good deal and will never come across them again in your life.

Soldato
I just list stuff with a high buy it now price with make me an offer on these days. Those that want to haggle usually end up with the price I was looking for anyway and occasionally you get a bonus full price purchase from an impatient buyer.

Plus you can vet buyers when they make an offer which is handy.

Valuable electronics is tricky though as the potential for being scammed increases.

Associate
Sounds similar to some of the ******** on eBay.

Consider me now less desperate to reach the MM going by that ********, I get enough of that on eBay.

I suppose most interestingly was when I was selling a few premium watches, and started getting offers+sob stories stating they're a poor student and can I take £60 for a £200 BIN watch that was worth £400+, but is now discontinued everywhere, so who the heck knows how much its worth. But obviously every poor student with a sob story needs a premium watch (very bad English is an enormous plus for my sympathy, obviously).

Soldato
But then we come on to the opportunists, I recently listed an Xbox one x with a few games and controllers for sale, very low price of £220, considering CEX will give me £200 alone for the console, thought it was an absolute bargain for what you are getting.

Only to start receiving messages offering me £120-140 for the lot... Considering that the One X is still £400 new I've been having a good laugh at these responses, but it really irks me, are there really people who pry over these selling pages trying to urge people into massively lower prices than advertised? I even stated on my post that i wasn't open to offers.
List it in the MM on here for £150 and I may make you an offer for it if you pay for the postage :D

Caporegime
Half tempted to upload some of the responses to r/choosingbeggars

I wouldn’t bother if it is just people messaging with a low offer, that’s pretty standard/not interesting.

If they follow up after you say no thanks and start kicking off, selling you some sob story or defy logic like say you point out the min price due to being able to offload at CEX etc.. then it might be worth submitting.

Man of Honour
This strikes me as an extended whinge by one of the many people who think that their stuff is worth lots of money just because they own it. It that respect is is like MM: that is also full of people trying to sell year-old or more gear at ten quid off and wondering why people with knowledge of the concept of depreciation offers them far less. In many cases it's hard to work out who is being more insulting, the buyer or the seller.

As for the OP; first I'm struggling to believe that CEX will buy for half price - that's not their business model. Second, it's a second-hand console - the market is awash with them, with the obvious effect on prices. Just because CEX is selling them for £250-300 doesn'r mean you can get even close.

Associate
As for the OP; first I'm struggling to believe that CEX will buy for half price - that's not their business model. Second, it's a second-hand console - the market is awash with them, with the obvious effect on prices. Just because CEX is selling them for £250-300 doesn'r mean you can get even close.
The prices at which they buy at are there on the website for everyone to see. They are offering £200 cash.

OP has a reasonable expectation for his item.

Soldato
This strikes me as an extended whinge by one of the many people who think that their stuff is worth lots of money just because they own it. It that respect is is like MM: that is also full of people trying to sell year-old or more gear at ten quid off and wondering why people with knowledge of the concept of depreciation offers them far less. In many cases it's hard to work out who is being more insulting, the buyer or the seller.

The nice thing about CEX is that they put the buy, sell and trade prices on the website for you to see very clearly.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail...ming&title=xbox-one-x-console-1tb-black-boxed

In this case OP did 4 seconds research before listing his item to see what they would offer.

Personally I use CEX website a lot to judge how much I will list an item for. Why would I accept any less than that amount and have to deal with potential idiots online when I can walk into a store and walk out with that cash amount?

Soldato
OK never used CEX, but isn't it like we buy any car; when they have inspected/tried the product do you really get £200 - they need to show attractive buy prices, to get punters.

Buyers would have expected you to sell it to CEX too, if it was appropriate quality - and you had one nearby,
so you'd have to have a convincing sales spiel and photos, to pursuade me a social media advertised article was credible, and worth similar value.

My(the?) reality is historical sale prices on ebay.

Man of Honour
I'm not really bothered when I get extremely low offers, but what does annoy me is the style of delivery.

I've lost count of the number of responses to Gumtree or Facebook adverts that literally just state a price.

"500"

Are people really that lazy that they cannot even be arsed to write "Hi, would you take 500 for item XXX?"

Man of Honour
I'm not really bothered when I get extremely low offers, but what does annoy me is the style of delivery.

I've lost count of the number of responses to Gumtree or Facebook adverts that literally just state a price.

"500"

Are people really that lazy that they cannot even be arsed to write "Hi, would you take 500 for item XXX?"
The ones that annoy me are the half price offers then followed up with numerous "hello?" Style messages if you don't reply in literally ten minutes. As soon as they start that I don't bother replying at all.

Back
Top Bottom