Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Phoned to cancel and actually did cancel for once. Got offered £76 down from £90 which I refused. I told the lady when I started my last contract it was £66 a month, to which she told me I was wrong. I have the bill and contract in front of me stating so. Bizarre.

Soldato
I had a strange experience with VM this weekend.

At about 10pm Friday night I'm walking past the living room, I noticed my TV, amp, and V6 Tivo had all turned themselves on. The V6 is sitting there with a "cannot load settings CS1010. Please call CS on (cs#)". This looks like an error VM aren't even using, as they've never put in an actual customer services phone number. Reboots don't help, online resets don't work, and on the phone the automatic system can't reset the box, and I'm put through to a department that's closed until 8 am.

The problem is still there at 8am the next morning, and when I call in the woman on the line at VM says she's never heard of that error, but the box doesn't seem to be accessible from the network end, and she'll need to book in a tech. She asks if I'm available today, and I say as long as it's before 12pm.

Some 80 minutes later, a tech shows up, says he's never seen that error before, does a reset that makes no difference, then gets be out a new V6 from his van and it works straight away.

So it's annoying for a Tivo V6 to fail in such a strange way, and lose all my recorded shows and settings, but I'm pretty impressed with having a replacement up and running some 90 minutes after I've reported the fault! I do live in West London, so there's presumably a lot of VM guys around doing work, and it was easy to slot an appointment in for a box swap at the last moment, but even so, I'm reasonably amazed and annoyed in equal measure!

Soldato
You should be able to, although Virgin probably wouldn't like you doing it.

You could extend the existing cable, but it would make more sense to replace it entirely. If you did want to join two cables you'd use a female to female joiner such as this.

Soldato
Vivid 350 installed today

7ad5653b-ce36-4261-8ae0-1f720551d152.png

Soldato
Nice. It will be more interesting to see what your Thinkbroadband meter looks like after a day or so. ;)

It's hard to know with that. Since they updated the SH3 firmware to hide the problems in the graphs, I'm not sure the graphs can be trusted to show the whole picture. That being said, I noticed no difference before or after that update, so I'm guess I'm lucky.

Soldato
It's hard to know with that. Since they updated the SH3 firmware to hide the problems in the graphs, I'm not sure the graphs can be trusted to show the whole picture. That being said, I noticed no difference before or after that update, so I'm guess I'm lucky.
The .608 update more than masked the issues. They rerouted some functions away from the Puma chipset which meant that my internet went from poor to acceptable. I could easily demonstrate the improvement: my missus could make Skype calls while I was maxing out the upload which she couldn't do before the update.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Bloody hell, my internets going down for ages in the early hours every night now. Calling tomorrow, there’s obviously a serious problem somewhere.

I'm having the same issue, I'm in E11. My thinkbb shows it earle hours and past few nights around 11pm. Not had an issue in 18months and strange this is consistent.

Soldato
Got an email otherday telling me about the smart wifi feature they've now pushed out to the SH3, if it works great might stop my Hub getting a factory reset every few weeks now.
Maybe you should think about popping that SH3 in modem mode and picking up say an Asus router for hassle free and 'proper' WiFi with a great range. ;)

Soldato
Virgin phoned me back 5 days after cancelling. I think they tried me 2 days after too. Was paying £91 on rolling, offered £76.50 when I phoned to cancel which I refused and went through with cancellation. Now today offered £52.50 on 12 month contract plus significant credit back to the account to keep everything I had. Went with it.

Soldato
Sorry for posting twice in a row but I'm looking for a new router. My requirements are this:

Support for GRE tunnels (for my VM business static IP address)
IPv6 support (for when VM finally supports it)
Custom DNS servers
Allow using VM Hitron router in modem only mode
Mobile phone 4G network SIM card for when VM business internet goes down
Extremely fast Wifi
Guest wifi network
Fully featured firewall
QoS
VLAN support would be nice
VPN client (IPSec, PPTP or OpenVPN)

Budget: £300

Back
Top Bottom