• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Chiplets and Crossfire ;)

That's not what I'd consider pushing it.
There's a limited edition Vega 64 in the B-Grade section for 300 pound. I could buy it to crossfire with my same Vega 64 but there's not a chance in hell I'd touch a Vega 64 crossfire with a barge pole.

I'd want a single GPU that's twice as powerful as my Vega 64.

And even then, that's going to come in at an expensive price, so it's not really going to push it in terms of appeal.

Man of Honour
I don't know why they wouldn't release the CPU's then.
AMD have done staggered launches before.

Clearly they don't want to repeat radeon VII mistakes. Launch day reviews will stick with radeon VII forever, even though we know now it's a much better card than people probably think yet it will always, in most peoples eyes, only ever be as good as those reviews. To show Zen 2 in it's absolute best light it needs everything intel has and more, pci-e 4 needs to be there, thunderbolt, insane memory frequencies, it all needs to be there and it needs to be working. This thing needs to come out of the gate and be everything everybody is expecting it to be. Ask yourself this, if you made a revolutionary product that you know to show in the best light needed a little time, would you execute anyway? Live with those bad reviews but know it will get faster in a few months or would you wait, get the chipset ready and show your very strongest hand?

To me this is where the scales start to tip. AMD need a clear winner, something that beats everything from the competition in every single metric both price and performance, a product that they can stand on stage and say "come at me", something that gives the consumer absolutely no reason to invest in the competition. The fact of the matter is that to really do that they might need the extra bandwidth supplied by the chipset along with extra memory speeds as well as any other secret sauce they are putting into the Zen 2 chipset, which they are developing in house (I really like this from a security standpoint to be fair).

Caporegime
I've just made the jump to 120hz 4k. Zen 2 is about my last big upgrade before (probable) fatherhood. Getting them all in now :D

I'd love a 2080Ti.
I've got a 4K OLED that I've got my Vega 64 connected to over HDMI 2.0.

Games look excellent but yeah.

My monitor looks poor in comparison, but I'm only changing monitor when I can get an ultra wide OLED.

OLED's the future.

Caporegime
Clearly they don't want to repeat radeon VII mistakes. Launch day reviews will stick with radeon VII forever, even though we know now it's a much better card than people probably think yet it will always, in most peoples eyes, only ever be as good as those reviews. To show Zen 2 in it's absolute best light it needs everything intel has and more, pci-e 4 needs to be there, thunderbolt, insane memory frequencies, it all needs to be there and it needs to be working. This thing needs to come out of the gate and be everything everybody is expecting it to be. Ask yourself this, if you made a revolutionary product that you know to show in the best light needed a little time, would you execute anyway? Live with those bad reviews but know it will get faster in a few months or would you wait, get the chipset ready and show your very strongest hand?

To me this is where the scales start to tip. AMD need a clear winner, something that beats everything from the competition in every single metric both price and performance, a product that they can stand on stage and say "come at me", something that gives the consumer absolutely no reason to invest in the competition. The fact of the matter is that to really do that they might need the extra bandwidth supplied by the chipset along with extra memory speeds as well as any other secret sauce they are putting into the Zen 2 chipset, which they are developing in house (I really like this from a security standpoint to be fair).

*If* AMD release a CPU that completely knocks Intel out, then I can understand and accept the delay. It's just how long it's been since the cinebench demo.

And I guess the first Ryzen launch was pretty flawed, so I can understand.

Soldato
I'm expecting a July release for Zen 2, anything sooner is bonus. I'll take solid release over a rushed one any day, plus it gives me time to save more money.

Permabanned
That's not what I'd consider pushing it.
There's a limited edition Vega 64 in the B-Grade section for 300 pound. I could buy it to crossfire with my same Vega 64 but there's not a chance in hell I'd touch a Vega 64 crossfire with a barge pole.

I'd want a single GPU that's twice as powerful as my Vega 64.

And even then, that's going to come in at an expensive price, so it's not really going to push it in terms of appeal.

OK, then promoting it, working hard to implement it, limiting Full HD to legacy support, etc policies ;)

Associate
*If* AMD release a CPU that completely knocks Intel out, then I can understand and accept the delay. It's just how long it's been since the cinebench demo.

And I guess the first Ryzen launch was pretty flawed, so I can understand.

What delay, didnt AMD say at CES it woul;d be about half way through the year so June / July?

Permabanned
Limiting Full HD to legacy support? Considering 4K resolutions are the minority in the PC gaming space that'd be a joke.

AMD promote it as much as they can, simply put the performance isn't there.

AMD don't promote anything. There is a single or double shy attempts in some internal slide and presentations and that's it.
They need to address the benchmarking policies of some reviewing websites which intentionally sabotage the 4K review games results, pushing 4K with AA, kookoo.
Etc... you know what I mean.

Caporegime
OK, then promoting it, working hard to implement it, limiting Full HD to legacy support, etc policies ;)
What does "limiting 1080p to legacy support" even mean?

That sounds like absolute nonsense.

It's like saying that because Excel can do 65,536 rows (probably more these days), they'll remove the ability to create sheets with less than 10,000 rows.

It doesn't make any kind of logical sense in any universe.

Soldato
What does "limiting 1080p to legacy support" even mean?

Considering pretty much every new card released now (considering the 1660ti seems to be about the bottom of the stack) need a VERY high end processor with a decent overclock to keep them fed with work in most games at 1080p...
Why isn't it reasonable to relegate 1080p in the same way as 720p isn't serious business now either?

Folks need to move on.

They don't need to put effort into specific 1080p support when basically any card from now will be sat twiddling it's thumbs up to half the time in 1080p workloads.
Removing specific effort as it's utterly trivial for modern hardware seems quite sensible.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom