Dealing with Cancer

Associate
Hi just to add my situation, had a sudden swelling a few months ago in left side of my neck. Sudden as in 15mins. Thought it was lymph nodes and was in for the flu. Didn't get the flu but have had swollen lymph nodes before but this time didn't go away by itself so eventually just had to go to gp.

Over the next couple of weeks got all the tests done ultrasound, 2 ct scans and a fine needle biopsy. Doctors said it was my thyroid that was swollen not lymph nodes and that tests were inconclusive ie a tumour or benign nodule which is very common in thyroids. So had operation last month to remove left half of thyroid called a lobectomy so they could dissect the nodule/tumour.

My operation went great and cant say I notice missing half of my thyroid so far. Just left with a quickly healing scar across bottom of my neck.
Despite hoping it was a benign nodule they diagnosed it as a tumour but no sign of cancer spread and in great health otherwise. Despite bad diagnosis of lump was a massive relief that they had already taken it out. Doctors will now have a meeting to discuss my case, ie regular checkups or if they recommend takings out the rest of my thyroid as a precaution. Obviously very much hoping for the former.

Just want to say that you should stay positive and if your fathers doctors are anything like mine your he is in good hands.

Associate
My mum has been sick with various issues for many years but thankfully cancer has never been diagnosed.

However, these past 2 weeks have been stressful to a point I feel powerless and so scared. She had some growths on her lungs over the years and last month she went in for a CT scan to see if they have gotten bigger. She wasn't meant to have the results with her doctor for about 3 months but last week she got a letter informing her that the doctor wants to see her sometime in May.

It suddenly hit home that my mother might have some form of cancer and it's literally nearly got me in panic attacks. Honestly if this is cancer and they are waiting till May because the NHS is "busy"... I honestly feel like finding out who is responsible for this and murdering them.

How on earth can it be fair on someone who was supposed to have results in say August and SUDDENLY bring them forward 3 months and then have your patient wait nearly a month to know if they have cancer or not. It's basically psychological torture. I'm just honestly hoping right now that the NHS isn't totally stupid and is not letting my mother continue to have cancer developing inside her because they are busy. My brain tells me that if it was cancer she would hopefully have been taken in this week to discuss options. Can anyone else give any info on this? If it is cancer, surely they don't allow a month before they see you right?

Man of Honour
Well that was unexpected. While worrying about my mum's cancer and being ready to dash up there if needed, her partner was instead suddenly rushed to hospital overnight and is in intensive care unable to breath. He's had heart problems recently but took an unexpected dive last night. 50/50 whether he will pull through. Not sure how they will cope if he does come out of hosp as she's in no state herself to look after him. They aren't close to me and I have a family and work down here, but I may have to consider moving in with them for a bit to help.

Associate
Cancer is horrible and someways down the road there are going to be some tough decisions, probably some arguments but you just need to remember you're all in it together, the more support you can give him will make the world of difference.

My dad was diagnosed with stage 3 prostate cancer around 20 years ago at the age of 61 and we were told he had around 5 years left in him. Was a very rough time as was also diagnosed with a myriad of other things at the same time (diabetes, spondylosis of the spine, severely high blood pressure and anemia to name a few). Following this, radio therapy and chemo we're the treatments of choice which took his PSA down dramatically, 50+ down to 0.03... a success! The following few years they kept an eye on it while on different meds and things were looking good, but then the PSA went on the up and they needed reassess treatment. A different cocktail of drugs later and it was back under control.

10 years on, cancer was still there but Dad was still ticking. He had now also been diagnosed with Skin Cancer and had to have half of his nose removed, after about 3 months of different surgeries you can't tell, plastic surgery is a wonderful thing.

Around 3 years ago the prostate cancer decided to throw a spanner in the works and developed in to stage 4 metastasis (It had now spread into the lymph nodes in his stomach). So his consultant took the decision put my dad forward for a medical trial of a new 'chemo pill' that was designed for this very reason.

So to the present day, 20 years on from first diagnosis, my Dad has lived longer than they ever thought he would, he's seen more of the world in the last 20 years than he had in his previous 60. He's still on the trial drugs which unfortunately have developed some nasty side effects (severe memory loss and fatigue) and now needs a blood transfusion every 3 months or so due to the 'chemo pill' slowly destroying his red blood cell count.

But through all that, he's still ******* here. He's still fighting and he's still enjoying himself. Yes, some days for us as a family have been difficult and even harder for me personally. I've always been a fairly 'emotionless' person, I can stay calm in most situations and stay strong so that I can support other people, but **** me some days it hits me like train about what he's gone through and it breaks me. But we've had another 15 years with him that no one thought we would have and I call that a success.

Soldato
My mum had lung cancer about 13 years ago. She dedicated over 40 years to the NHS to be told that she was not worth the cost of saving as the trust had no money for cancer patients (it took 6 weeks of constant badgering to get her an ultrasound). She was able to get radiotherapy at another trust to ease the pain. She died in the hospital working for the very trust she had dedicated her life to, her pulse racing, peeing blood with venflons that had gone black because they’d not bothered to change them in a ward where paint was peeling and cracked.

The only positive is that we at least had the time to say goodbye.

Soldato
I was diagnosed with Squamous cell carcinoma of the right tonsil, (Throat cancer) in 2009 and the treatment really hit me hard as far as the side affects were concerned. What really did not help and I pretty much noticed this from day one was the lack of simple information available to what can be a very frightening time for patients who have been diagnosed with a possible life threatening but certainly life changing condition.

Without boring you with my story i would just say ask questions and make sure you get answers that you can make sense of. Do not accept without question what the oncologist says, we are all different and will all react differently to the treatment, unfortunately some consultants are too arrogant to accept that patients have a right to question them.

I wish your dad all the best and hope he comes though this awful disease relatively unscathed.

Soldato
If it's not too difficult/painful a subject for you to discuss, what symptoms did you have?
Not painful or difficult mate in the slightest, I was a very heavy smoker and drinker and when told by the oncologist that I had cancer I said "S*** happens."
As for symptoms I did not really have any except a lump on the throat which, as it turns out, I ignored for far to long. I was up seeing my GP or rather locum on another matter and she noticed the lump and thought that it really should be looked at with some urgency and that started the ball rolling.

Associate
I have just been diagnosed (yesterday) of having Hodgkin Lymphoma. Didnt come as a great surprise to me and i am confident it will be eradicated with the bleach they will be filling me full of soon.
The worst part, apart from the itching, is watching daytime TV.. how the four X do plebs sit there all day watching this guff???

Soldato
I have just been diagnosed (yesterday) of having Hodgkin Lymphoma. Didnt come as a great surprise to me and i am confident it will be eradicated with the bleach they will be filling me full of soon.
The worst part, apart from the itching, is watching daytime TV.. how the four X do plebs sit there all day watching this guff???
Sorry to read this, hope all goes well with the treatment. I agree about daytime TV it is little more than looped repeats.

Soldato
@movingtables my mrs dad has stomach cancer a couple of years ago. He had an operation to remove part of his stomach.
Been fine ever since....and still eats like a horse. I really hope everything works out for the best!!!!!

wasn't there something in the news only this morning that scientists have found a new drug which attacks many forms of cancer? There is hope...

Soldato

Sorry to hear about that Stephanie. Can i ask why it wasnt a surprise? What symtpom did you have?

Associate
I felt like i had a bad does of the flue, 5 days in hospital while scanned and buggered about with led to this.
Its not bothering me too much, its perfectly survivable .. just means more daytime TV... all my IQ's will fall out :(

Soldato
OP
@movingtables my mrs dad has stomach cancer a couple of years ago. He had an operation to remove part of his stomach.
Been fine ever since....and still eats like a horse. I really hope everything works out for the best!!!!!

wasn't there something in the news only this morning that scientists have found a new drug which attacks many forms of cancer? There is hope...

Cheers buddy glad he is doing well.

Soldato
OP
Well that was unexpected. While worrying about my mum's cancer and being ready to dash up there if needed, her partner was instead suddenly rushed to hospital overnight and is in intensive care unable to breath. He's had heart problems recently but took an unexpected dive last night. 50/50 whether he will pull through. Not sure how they will cope if he does come out of hosp as she's in no state herself to look after him. They aren't close to me and I have a family and work down here, but I may have to consider moving in with them for a bit to help.

ah man stressy times.
deep breaths m8

Soldato
My dad died of non-hodgkin lymphoma at 57 on 31/12/2016, he was diagnosed on the 24/01/2016.

The next few months will be an absolute rollercoaster of emotions mate, just try and stay strong and be there for your dad no matter what happens.

Man of Honour
I know this is a cancer thread but... man down. My mum just lost her partner due to heart failure. Going to pack a bag and get up there ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom