Need some help with a Macbook with iCloud account.

Soldato
Bought a second hand Macbook Pro from a carboot sale, screens dead but i can use with a monitor or get repaired. Didnt pay much and its the i5, 8GB and 512gb SSD model so was worth it.

Anyhow its got 2 accounts, 1 guest which i can use and another one which asks for an iCloud password which i dont have nor can get.

Is it possible to remove this account and how would i go about it?

Assuming iCloud works like how it does on phones, so even if i format it would still ask for password and i might loose the guest account too?

Permabanned
You could format it but there is a risk it's still tied to an icloud account. Without that original username and password you may have no chance getting it restored and it will just become a brick.

Is there any chance you could get the icloud account email address? You could email that seller that macbook MIGHT be stolen.

Soldato
OP
You could format it but there is a risk it's still tied to an icloud account. Without that original username and password you may have no chance getting it restored and it will just become a brick.

Is there any chance you could get the icloud account email address? You could email that seller that macbook MIGHT be stolen.

No email address, just a name.

Formatted and reinstalled mac os x and all seems fine, account removed. I dont think it is nicked (although with carboots you never know) as seems to have been water damaged, some green stuff around some of the ports but still works fine. Also came with the original charger.

Weirdly while i was installing OS the screen came back on for about 15mins, but then went off again. Good news is the LCD is most likely good and perhaps has a connection issue.

Permabanned
No email address, just a name.

Formatted and reinstalled mac os x and all seems fine, account removed. I dont think it is nicked (although with carboots you never know) as seems to have been water damaged, some green stuff around some of the ports but still works fine. Also came with the original charger.

Weirdly while i was installing OS the screen came back on for about 15mins, but then went off again. Good news is the LCD is most likely good and perhaps has a connection issue.

Check for any green residue on the contacts for the LCD. I had two where the port was water damaged and no LCD and after cleaning they came back on.

Soldato
OP
Check for any green residue on the contacts for the LCD. I had two where the port was water damaged and no LCD and after cleaning they came back on.

Looks clean, put some deoxit on the connectors just to be sure but no luck.

Looks to be a backlight issue, as when i shine a torch on the screen its on just really dark. Trying to find location of fuse but cant find the damn thing anywhere!

Permabanned
ah you are in luck! if it's a backlight issues they are easy to repair! I have done about 8 macbook/macbook air backlight fuses.

What model is your macbook? You can buy the fuses off ebay but they are VERY SMALL. That small you need a high magnifying glass to de-solder the old one and put the new one on.

Soldato
OP
Don't want to celebrate too soon, but took it apart to remove logic board as fuse was on the reverse side. Dreaded taking it out but followed a Youtube disassembly video.

Tested fuse and was good, gutted so must be something else. Put back together, rubbed a bit of alcohol on the connectors and all of a sudden its all working!!

Turned on and off a few times, been running for about an hour and good so far. Will have see over the next few days but fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom