• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ray tracing confirmed for next Gen PlayStation

Soldato
The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into $10,000 high-end processors, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1118124767934959617?s=19

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Soldato
OP
"The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame. “As a gamer,” he says, “it's been a little bit of a frustration that audio did not change too much between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.”

Interesting seems the console also will support amd ray tracing audio
https://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/true-audio-next/

Permabanned
The question is will desktop Navi get the hardware for Ray Tracing.
I expect it will. It might be next Gen navi though 2020.

I can't see this years Navi having it unless I'm completely underestimating it's performance level, For the console they may be coming up with a similar way to how Turing does it so I can't see that being possible so late in the day with 2019's Navi.

Soldato
The RT audio is the most exciting part for me, Atmos support has been almost non-existent in games thus far.

From what I'm reading elsewhere, the current consoles already have this "ray traced audio" built in and it's not new.

The difference is that currently if you turn the RT audio on, it uses some of the compute units on the graphics card, which means less available GPU resources for the game - how much performance sacrifice I'm not sure but it must be significant if no developer wants to use it.

But for the PS5, Sony is saying the PS5 will have it's own audio chip to handle audio processing instead of having to use the graphics card to do it.

Caporegime
I expect this is along the lines of the xbox 360 and Ps3 being full HD consoles

Indeed, it will be very marginal after a lot of optimization and used sparingly. Still, it might help boost the perception of RT and help developers produce better implementations on the PC

Soldato
The games it has been used in look barely any better with RTX on and it tanks performance.

Ray tracing has been around a long time already and I think it will be a long time again before it's viable in gaming.

Back
Top Bottom