New Laptop advice ~ £1,000 budget

Associate
Hi all,

Looking for a new laptop, max budget is around £1,100. Looking for a 15-inch sized screen. Looking for the best specs I can get for that price. Not too worried about it being ultra-sleek, will use it 80% of the time in one place, so just as long as it's not a massive chore moving it than it's fine. Not fussed about being able to detach the screen or touchscreen etc.

ANy advice greatly appreciated.

Matthew

Associate
Hi all,

Looking for a new laptop, max budget is around £1,100. Looking for a 15-inch sized screen. Looking for the best specs I can get for that price. Not too worried about it being ultra-sleek, will use it 80% of the time in one place, so just as long as it's not a massive chore moving it than it's fine. Not fussed about being able to detach the screen or touchscreen etc.

ANy advice greatly appreciated.

Matthew

New or secondhand?

Purely for gaming?

Your budget is in between a GTX 1060 notebook and an RTX 2070 (I7-8750H, 2x4GB DDR4, 144Hz display, RTX 2070, 256GB NVMe SSD, RGB keyboard - £1,196.00 inc. VAT).

Soldato
actually don't. your wife might hunt me down and kill me :)
The opposite in this instance (your jewels are safe) as i could do with a new laptop - fortunately/unfortunately i need a 17". Having said that it is a PITA to lug about and i hook it up to an external screen as soon as possible...

Nope, gonna resist - plus i need a decent keyboard - yep not looking.

Brand? :)

Soldato
The opposite in this instance (your jewels are safe) as i could do with a new laptop - fortunately/unfortunately i need a 17". Having said that it is a PITA to lug about and i hook it up to an external screen as soon as possible...

Nope, gonna resist - plus i need a decent keyboard - yep not looking.

Brand? :)

highly recommend not getting Ducky Shine Limited editions .... hurt the wallet real bad like

if laptop had got Thunderbolt port on it or USB 3.1 C then would push higher CPU spec so adding a eGPU later on in life , it wont get held up :D

Associate
highly recommend not getting Ducky Shine Limited editions .... hurt the wallet real bad like

if laptop had got Thunderbolt port on it or USB 3.1 C then would push higher CPU spec so adding a eGPU later on in life , it wont get held up :D

eGPUs are currently throttled to hell and back on bandwidth, ergo, hookup a GTX 1080Ti for ~GTX 1070 performance on a TB3 connection. I'd hate to see the figures over USB 3.1.

Soldato
Clevo - bespoke build.
Cheers @MiSJAH. (@tamzzy was more helpful than his reply suggests :) )

@MiSJAH, couldn't sleep last night and clicked on your sig by accident as was using a stupidly small tablet. I'm now half way through your epic thread/quest - no spoilers - i've got another 30 odd pages to go which i'm saving for tonight... (Without prejudice: Remind me to never **ss you off :D).

I can't use mechanical keyboards - the noise irritates me too much. I love the feel, but i find the noise too intrusive when i'm concentrating. I try new designs out periodically - but i've yet to find one :/ My guilty secret is the natural/ergonomically designed keyboards - but i'm weening myself off them as i'm having to use laptops more and more and keep cocking up keystrokes when flitting back and forth form one to the other.

Back to the Logitech illuminated, probably...

@orbitalwalsh, didn't i read somewhere the Ducky Shine is illuminating its own box somewhere in your loft straight after an impulse purchase? (I won't tell your WIFE!!! /waves hands in the air in direction of thread) :D

A decent keyboard, or a keyboard :)
Yep, i like to test the keyboard of all new laptops 'if' possible. A supposedly premium Dell i had years ago was god awful (really squishy and unresponsive) - when they were swapping to the new apple design keyboard - I reverted back to my old system and passed the DELL on to my wife. It took me ages to get accustomed - i'm still not a fan of the flat 'apple' key design.

Associate
The noise if the best bit, annoys everyone within earshot, and they think you are having some mad rant on an internet forum when all you are doing is losing your 20th straight game of Starcraft 2 on ladder.

Soldato
Starcraft 2
RTS perfection.

The noise is the best bit, annoys everyone within earshot,
Solution: quick 'double tap' applied to the head area (probably quieter than your keyboard) - then back to my work on my quiet, natural (no shape shaming!) keyboard. :D

But, the dull thudding of each key press is legit nuts - my wife could hear me tapping away downstairs and that is with soundproofing between the floors. Had it not irritated me i think she would have wrapped it around my head and then garroted me with the lead.

Associate
Cheers @MiSJAH. (@tamzzy was more helpful than his reply suggests :) )

Good stuff.

@MiSJAH, couldn't sleep last night and clicked on your sig by accident as was using a stupidly small tablet. I'm now half way through your epic thread/quest - no spoilers - i've got another 30 odd pages to go which i'm saving for tonight... (Without prejudice: Remind me to never **ss you off :D).

Hahaha. That situation is still not completely resolved.

Enjoy.

Associate
OP
New or secondhand?

Purely for gaming?

Your budget is in between a GTX 1060 notebook and an RTX 2070 (I7-8750H, 2x4GB DDR4, 144Hz display, RTX 2070, 256GB NVMe SSD, RGB keyboard - £1,196.00 inc. VAT).

Hi MiSJAH,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you! Didn't notice that a response had been made!

New preferably.

Not purely for gaming, primarily for work, that can handle multiple tabs and switch back and forth between tasks super quickly. Not much of a gamer, but if I had a computer that was up to it, I'd be more inclined to dabble.

Associate
No worries.

I would recommend finding a Clevo system integrator to build a laptop to the spec in brackets. It's the only way to get real bang for buck.

That laptop would eat your work load and give great mid to high level gaming results.

Let us know what you choose.

Associate
OP
No worries.

I would recommend finding a Clevo system integrator to build a laptop to the spec in brackets. It's the only way to get real bang for buck.

That laptop would eat your work load and give great mid to high level gaming results.

Let us know what you choose.

Thank you - any companies/retailers you recommend? I'm also in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom