Spec me some smart casual shoes/trainers

Soldato
OP
Do people really need to ask for what shoes to buy now? :D

Is it really completely unreasonable to ask for recommendations for what people have found comfy? So unreasonable that it's worth posting about how laughable an idea it is?

Just to help us all out, can you share the exact dividing line between what products owner reviews are relevant for, and what they aren't? It'd be nice to have the info so I can avoid such an embarrassing mistake in future.

Soldato
Majority of trainers, especially any 'sporty' looking ones don't come under smart casual for me. Most you could get away with is a black pair of converse and then I wouldn't wear it with trousers only jeans and maybe chinos.

Soldato
OP
I dunno if I'm giving the wrong impression with the word 'trainers', but I don't know what else to call them.

Look at the Merrell's I linked to - which I would call trainers but are a suede finish smart casual piece of footwear. I'm definitely not looking for Adidas/Reebok/Nike type footwear.

Associate
Soldato
Had a good long think about this, did some research for you, and found these beauties:

MYsuhG3.jpg
Very trendy right now, classy yet casual and brimming with ethnickness.

And then, the other option being the timeless and classic Kickers:

bu4Wr9B.jpg

Associate
Only if you're blind and can't look for yourself :rolleyes:

Im awful at looking at stuff and then I try it on and I think, oh wait that actually looks half decent on me. Not everyone has that 'eye' as it were. I dont. Stick it on me and with a mirror I can judge what looks OK and what doesn't, on a rack I've not got a clue.

Are you great at everything you lend your hand to? Either the answer is no, and you need a helping hand. Or you answer Yes and then you're a ****.

Soldato
They're basically Boondockers, which themselves were based on WW2 American issue Roughouts. I have worn the latter and can attest to their lightweight casual aspects, but you can also tart them up to be as smart as you like.
Boondockers look completely different to me.

You can get desert boots or chuka boots which are similar to the boondockers but the Clarks variants are a lot simpler

Man of Honour
It depends how smart/casual you want to be and how many hours you will need to wear them. Desert boots / chukkas are a good option, as are brogue derby's.

If going for trainers then a plain colour leather trainer would be best. But that wpuld also be more on the casual side than chukkas or brogues.

Soldato
Are you great at everything you lend your hand to?

Buying trainers is a simple process

Do they look nice ? Try them on
Do they feel comfy ? Check price
Is the price okay ? Buy them, if not revert back to "do they look nice" with a new pair, rinse & repeat

If you need help buying trainers then I don't know what to say

Back
Top Bottom