Warning: Spoilers ahead ***Avengers: Endgame - Official Thread!***

Commissario
At a guess, just to say they "passed the torch" and created a black Captain America.
Because in the Comics depending on which version you read Bucky is not the only one to have had the shield passed to him, in the MCU it probably made more sense for him not to get it, especially if his character is going to be featuring in other films or TV series.

Just got back from seeing it a little while ago, the cinema was packed to the gills (20 minute queue to get hotdogs etc, fortunately the gallery was quieter although they were still busy).
Great film, and I really want to watch it again, but I'm not sure about seeing it at the cinema a second time, but it's likely.

Soldato
Not sure if I watched the same movie, but for us it was a bit boring at times and overall a big let down from what we expected considering how everyone is raving about it so much online. IW was a much better movie.
I would agree. I think its fine to round out the last 10 years, but it was a very slow film that didn't do anything better than Infinity War did.

The fight scenes were very poor (Compared to the two main fights in IW). IW felt like a comic book movie, this just felt like it wanted to be super gritty but it just doesn't work with the comic book material so feels a bit flat.

Most of all I am annoyed that they basically passed over Bucky to give Falcon the shield - thats the biggest WTF of the film tbh.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Most of all I am annoyed that they basically passed over Bucky to give Falcon the shield - thats the biggest WTF of the film tbh.
Yeah, I found that a little weird also, but I do not know the full lore (never read the comics) so gave it a pass. Seemed like it was done for the same reason the all women scene was done.

Soldato
Great film, though seemed like they chopped bits out to even get it down to 3 hours!

E.g. No introduction scene of Cap Marvel arriving at the Avengers compound and asking about Nick Fury etc

Some of the more controversial bits:

No Hulk rematch with Thanos was a big miss. He’s been so underpowered since the first Avengers film!

Nerfing Thor was necessary I guess to make Tony and Cap more integral to the final battle.

Black Widow dying was unexpected but then perhaps Scarlett Johanson didn’t want to do it anymore...

Associate
Think I’ll watch the first ones so Its fresh then go see this on Sunday been waiting for months to see this!:Ddragging the wife along she likes it really!

Man of Honour
Also:

That bit at the beginning when they hold Thanos down and chop his arm off to get the gauntlet...

Why didn't they do that in Infinity War when Ironman, Spiderman etc all had him in the same position... Would have made things a lot easier :D

Caporegime
I was underwhelmed, especially after the glorious Infinity War.

There were some great moments, but I felt too much of the film was just bubbling along.

Good stuff:
Captain Thormerica ("I knew it!")
The Big Thorbowski (noobgamer69)
The full team "Avengers Assemble!" which was a goosebumps moment
The Clint/Nat sacrifice
BannerHulk
(As)Guardians

I guess for me part of the problem was that this was closure of all the original Avengers' storylines, with a heavy focus on Tony, who is one of my least favourite characters in the MCU. I think Downey is BRILLIANT as Stark (in the comics Stark is snarky and egotistical), however due to Ironman 2 & 3 being my least favourite MCU films, I don't really have any attachement to him as a character, so his sacrifice and send-off didn't generate any feels for me.

Cap's send-off was nice enough, if a bit flaccid.

I also felt the "Femvengers" bit was way too on the nose, more than anything I noticed in Captain Marvel.

And on that note, and I will probably get shot down for this, but I actually enjoyed Captain Marvel over all more than this.

A somewhat damp 6/10 from me, and if I were to group all the MCU films now:

Great:
Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Avengers Assemble
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: Civil War
Avengers: Infinity War

Good:
Thor
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Captain Marvel

Average:
The Incredible Hulk
Thor: The Dark World
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Avengers: Endgame

Meh:
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Black Panther

Caporegime
@krooton - I initially had the same thoughts about Captain Marvel vs Endgame! :eek: It did seem underwhelming given the build up?

She is useful and almighty powerful but she was used very little in the movie, it was a cameo.

I think after the dusts has settled, this will be seen much better than some of the current reactions. People, including me are comparing it to Infinity War but they are the same film, just continued, just like Kill Bill should be seen together.

On its own, sure, IW is more enjoyable but Endgame has a certain sadness and proper emotional punch that IW doesn't have. A lot of the deaths are final in this that isn't in IW. I think it is fitting, smart integration of all the past films, giving some older characters more screentime and seeing things in a different perspective was cool, it is almost like a tribute for 10 years of Marvel films in 1 and it was done very nicely. That's critically speaking, as a fan, it was quite slow at times, a midnight showing for this was a bad idea to be honest, especially with a double bill before it...my body wanted to clock out and go to bed and would be more enjoyable watching this when i am more awake.

Anyway, it didn't suck, and it felt right so there's that.

p.s. I didn't think about Falcon vs Bucky as the next Capt America when i saw it. What threw me off the whole film was Capt Marvel's new haircut after 5 years...more so than the half pink with roofs hair by Black Widow.

Soldato
Bucky has always been a bit like a mopey EMO guy, at least Sam is a bit more upbeat

Neither is as good as Chris Evans.
Bucky is badass in the films,hes probably the only character that got a really good overhaul from the comics. I get the films aren't going to follow the comics exactly but it's a pretty big omission given the legacy set.

Also:

That bit at the beginning when they hold Thanos down and chop his arm off to get the gauntlet...

Why didn't they do that in Infinity War when Ironman, Spiderman etc all had him in the same position... Would have made things a lot easier :D
They tried remember then star-lord let his ego get the better of him and it all went to ****.

Man of Honour
Bucky is badass in the films,hes probably the only character that got a really good overhaul from the comics. I get the films aren't going to follow the comics exactly but it's a pretty big omission given the legacy set.

They tried remember then star-lord let his ego get the better of him and it all went to ****.

but they didn’t try and cut his arm off, just pull the gauntlet off his hand. In Endgame, they just cut his arm off straight away lol

Soldato
Saw it last night. I think like others I found IW to be better and it’s nowhere near the level of near perfection that Iron Man or Thor achieved.

Having said that it was a fitting end to the phase. 8/10 for me.

I’m struggling with the whole “you can’t have Black Widow back” but yet Gamora is restored? Surely if the stones are time agnostic like this you can’t restore either?

Meh, this is why I hate time travel as a major device to drive the plot.

Man of Honour
Red Falcon dude is, jsut, well a guy, will he have to go through the same thing Cap did to make him super human?

Thats what I don’t get. Falcon is just a dude, without his wings then he’s just a normal dude. Unless the new Captain America is going to be Falcon with his wings/guns and the shield bolted on somehow, so not a proper Captain America at all

Back
Top Bottom