Game of Thrones S8E3 on OLED - WTF?

Soldato
So yesterday, I watched E3 around my girlfriend's place and we both noticed the picture quality wasn't great. She has a Samsung LED (not Q LED) set and the source was coming from NowTV.

At the time, I just thought it was either her TV or the input that was the issue. For those who are fans of the show and have watched this episode, you'll know it's mainly full or dark scenes and I've read online today that cinematographers from the show recommend watching it in a dark room.

Great I thought, I'll watch it on my series 8 LG OLED in the dark (Sky Atlantic catch up, Sky HD box). No matter what picture mode I set the TV to, there's either large amounts of noise on dark scenes or extremely crushed blacks.

Has anyone else had the same issue? I'm assuming it could be down to the compressed nature of the Sky feed? I'm really disappointed, thought visually this would have been perfect to watch on OLED.

Sgarrista
Commissario
You pretty much nailed it on the head, most of the channels have compressed the blacks into nothingness. I imagine UHD versions will look absolutely stunning.

Soldato
OP
I'll have to invest in the UHD boxset if and when that comes out and a player to go with it.

You're in Bromsgrove I see, that's where I grew up! Thanks for your input.

Soldato
I watched the rainforest prime video with HBO version, bitrate of just video was 6911Kbps. Although it was dark, I didn't notice any excessive noise or artefacts. I watched it in a dark room, on a LG C7 OLED, professionally calibrated.

Soldato
So yesterday, I watched E3 around my girlfriend's place and we both noticed the picture quality wasn't great. She has a Samsung LED (not Q LED) set and the source was coming from NowTV.

At the time, I just thought it was either her TV or the input that was the issue. For those who are fans of the show and have watched this episode, you'll know it's mainly full or dark scenes and I've read online today that cinematographers from the show recommend watching it in a dark room.

Great I thought, I'll watch it on my series 8 LG OLED in the dark (Sky Atlantic catch up, Sky HD box). No matter what picture mode I set the TV to, there's either large amounts of noise on dark scenes or extremely crushed blacks.

Has anyone else had the same issue? I'm assuming it could be down to the compressed nature of the Sky feed? I'm really disappointed, thought visually this would have been perfect to watch on OLED.
Struggling with Game of Thrones' darkest scenes?

It's not just your TV

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/s...-scenes-it-s-not-your-tv-20190429-p51i4p.html

Soldato
I don't know what's going on with the photos in that article, but there is clearly some user/settings error going on there. I'd be on the phone to HBO for a refund if it looked anything like that.

I just found that scene of them on the corner, the people who took those photos have their brightness and contrast levels way too high. It's a dark scene, if you turn the brightness up 300%, it's going to look bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched it on Sky Ticket on my One X....looked absolute ass.

Blacks crushed to nothing....barely watchable.

Might wait an extra day to watch the next on Amazon....quality is usually pretty decent.

Caporegime
There's been a few other complaints about over saturated and washed out blacks on GoT this week.

are you able to pass this feedback on at all?

it was honestly terrible i don't expect blu ray quality unless its UHD content but HD content should be clear and no blocks of nothing with zero detail.

Soldato
Watched it on Sky Ticket on my One X....looked absolute ass.

Blacks crushed to nothing....barely watchable.

Might wait an extra day to watch the next on Amazon....quality is usually pretty decent.
Its not being shown on Amazon in UK, Season 8 wot be availble to rent until the end of the run.
I started a thread the other day on how to watch Amazon US in the UK.
I'm gonna give it a try tonight with VPN + unblock and will let you know if it works...
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/watch-amazon-us-in-uk.18853718/

Soldato
OP
At least it wasn't just me then, just wanted to understand if the default picture settings were off as I don't really touch them.

I would even say that this particular episode was an issue, and not just general dark scene content received via satellite as I don't recall noticing the issue to this extent before.

Pretty sure when I looked at this thread this morning there was a stupid post from another member? Looks like it has been deleted either way. :)

Caporegime
At least it wasn't just me then, just wanted to understand if the default picture settings were off as I don't really touch them.

I would even say that this particular episode was an issue, and not just general dark scene content received via satellite as I don't recall noticing the issue to this extent before.

Pretty sure when I looked at this thread this morning there was a stupid post from another member? Looks like it has been deleted either way. :)

No, it was just plain awful. :(

Soldato
Associate
I have an led TV and felt that it was overly dark for a lot of scenes... So much so my wife even commented on it, and she normally doesn't give a stuff about picture quality.

It's a shame, I don't think that much would have been lost from the atmosphere of the episode by turning up the exposure a little.

Soldato
Watching on Amazon now....it is vastly, *vastly* superior to Sky Ticket.

Not perfect, there are some really difficult scenes with very shallow, dark gradients and there is visible blocking....but it's an another level compared to the **** Sky stream.

Back
Top Bottom