• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Got a chance of a 1080ti

Associate
OP
Well everything seemed good until I thought I would give evga precision a go, I installed it mainly for the monitoring part for temps and that's when the problems started. I also had afterburner installed and am wondering if there was a clash between the 2..i removed both progs and reinstalled drivers but still same. Had to go bed cos 12 hr shifts today so will investigate tonight. I am hoping it's the display port cable so will try hdmi tonight

Soldato
Well everything seemed good until I thought I would give evga precision a go, I installed it mainly for the monitoring part for temps and that's when the problems started. I also had afterburner installed and am wondering if there was a clash between the 2..i removed both progs and reinstalled drivers but still same. Had to go bed cos 12 hr shifts today so will investigate tonight. I am hoping it's the display port cable so will try hdmi tonight

Yeh, I've seen posts before where a dodgy cable can cause display issues. Let's hope that fixes it.

Associate
OP
well i just did a benchmark and my card seems to be boosting to 1974ghz....it should be around 1670...this could be my problem. any one know how i stop the card from doing this. I have uninstalled evga precision and in msi afterburner it does not show any settings in the control panel....help needed!

Soldato
it says it should have a boost clock speed of 1670....how can it go 300 over that

That is a conservative number. Pretty much all recent nvidia cards will boost past there box specs when there is headroom in terms of temperature and power. Given you have it in a loop hence cold temps it will boost to a very nice number without doing anything. Your 1080 you had prior was also most definitely going past the boost clock speeds mentioned on the box when in your loop.

Soldato
Scrapping my previous reply as off topic.

With the artefacting issue, try to verify the card has no manual OC applied. It is typical behaviour that automatic gpu boost will be much higher than advertised turbo clocks, not normal however for stock voltage/clock curve to be unstable.

So if you have no manual settings configured and its artefacting then the card is faulty.

When manufacturers have aggressive stock curves combined with silicon loser chips this happens from time to time, as I dont think they bin the chips.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
so we can right off that the card is overclocking to much....just tried a 1080 monitor with a dvi connection and ran heaven again a it crashed again after a minute or so...this time it was a turquoise blank screen.....went to task manager and just closed program so didnt lock up the pc this time...is it the card that is faulty do you think

Caporegime
I’d be back to the seller tbh, that sounds very much like a failing card I’m afraid - however, I’ve got a Zotac Amp Extreme 1080ti that boosts to 1974 (way above average for 1080ti’s afaik) which makes me think yours is clocked way too high tbh....

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i nopticed in msi osd that it kept saying power limit when playing a game....not seen that before with the previous card....mayb there is not enough power to feed the card at that speed?

Soldato
single with 1x6 and 1x8 pin

Should not be an issue really. I used to use each of mine for a year or so with single daisy chained cable.

You mentioned you have a riser card, gut feeling it may be that if its something that manifested more recently. Sounded like when you initially had it and even under water it was okay?

In regards to power limit, do you have an example of what it shows. GPU-Z does show something similar, though that is expected as usually there is a performance cap somewhere on the card, weather its power, Voltage, temps etc more often then now, you will have a cap to performance somewhere which is what I imagine MSI OSD is showing, though do not have experience of that, only GPU-Z

Associate
I’d be back to the seller tbh, that sounds very much like a failing card I’m afraid - however, I’ve got a Zotac Amp Extreme 1080ti that boosts to 1759 (way above average for 1080ti’s afaik) which makes me think yours is clocked way too high tbh....
I think clock speed is fine - my 1080ti ftw hits 2ghz no problem under water

Back
Top Bottom