• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Passion, really? I work in the media, a creative industry. I work purely for the money. I don't mind the work, which is a bonus, but I work for those who pay the most. Passion doesn't pay the mortgage.

I'm not going to suppose to speak for Troezar but i think what (s)he's getting at is for the one percenters who could retire tomorrow without ever having to worry about money it becomes more about new challenges, doing things that interest them, and for want of a better word a passion for what they're doing rather than yet more money.

Soldato
Cinebench, CPUz and a few other tests of IPC show that at the same frequency Kaby = Ryzen 1 and Coffee = Ryzen 2 within margins of error. How people still don't get this I do not know. The advantage Intel has is purely frequency for those generations. Found that out as one of the things I do a lot of testing for is iRacing which is heavily dependent on single

IPC hasn't increased in intel cpus since Skylake. Only clockspeeds and core count.
More recent cpus have taken less of a hit from the Spectre mitigations which will make a difference though.

Associate
You are actually quite in the minority.

I see how the corporate machine works, I'm part of it. I see the buzz words they dream up about how we are partners in the exiting endever, and so on and so on. Only I've been around the block too many times.

I sell my labour to my employer. I am a negative on a balance sheet, if that negativety outways my usefulness, I'm out the door. I've seen it happen around me, that is what happens all the time.

Soldato
I see how the corporate machine works, I'm part of it. I see the buzz words they dream up about how we are partners in the exiting endever, and so on and so on. Only I've been around the block too many times.

I sell my labour to my employer. I am a negative on a balance sheet, if that negativety outways my usefulness, I'm out the door. I've seen it happen around me, that is what happens all the time.
dude-what-1491481.png

Associate
Absolutely agree.

Still the likes of intel, AMD and Nvidia exist to make a profit. They take our money and put it in theirs. Which I've not got a problem with, it's our choice. But why would anyone have loyalty to this? They don't care about consumers apart from how much they can squeeze out of us. Of course we hear the usual nonsense about its 'all about us', in reality it's all about the bottom line. Trying to engender brand loyalty is a marketing con, don't fall for it.

Totally agree. I've had Intel the past 10 years and now I'm on AMD. Don't have an affinity to either, just go for what I feel offers a better platform, which for me was AMD this round, which is why I wanted a mobo with at least some future proofing by way of overkill VRMs.

If Intel offer something with a good upgrade path next time I'm in the market for a new system, then I'll happily go with them. Screw loyalty, I have mortgage payments and a family, so while I would like to get the best of the best, it would be a waste of money for the amount of time I have spare to use it... So value is important as well as longevity, which again, in my opinion only is where AMD 'currently' seem to be ahead, because with Intel, you get neither.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Dude what

He's right though.

People who work purely for the money aren't the minority.

If you offered everyone financial independence to not have to work the majority would.

I know I certainly don't go to work for the fun of it. Don't get me wrong I don't hate my job, I don't mind it, but I only go so I can pay the bills. If I had financial independence meaning I didn't have to work then I wouldn't work!

Associate
I've currently got a 2700X that I have got to 4.25GHz all core boost. I think what I'd like to see is higher clock speeds, this is where I feel the Ryzen chips fall short. Most people are running their Intel chips at 4.8GHz+ which is what gives them the edge. As I understand it, the gap in IPC between a 2700X and a 9900K isn't much, it's just the much higher clock speed of the Intel helps out massively. If AMD can deliver a 12C/24T chip that has 10% more IPC and an all core boost of 4.7GHz, I will get on. I'm asking for a lot and will probably be disappointed :p

Associate
IPC hasn't increased in intel cpus since Skylake. Only clockspeeds and core count.
More recent cpus have taken less of a hit from the Spectre mitigations which will make a difference though.
From our testing for iRacing, we found Skylake has one of the best IPC of the recent CPU's. Kaby is about 1-2% down on Skylake and Coffee is almost identical. Though they can clock higher negating the Skylake benefit. I'm not certain but I think most of the CPU's tested have the Spectre/Meltdown patches active. Some don't for sure, but as it was collaborative community testing for a lot of the results it highlighted people who had outliers with badly setup PC's and gave good targets from those who knew what they were doing for the more average users. Those who do know also did have Spectre patch disabled for better performance IIRC. The testing was pretty conclusive with Skylake through to Coffee all matching Ryzen 1 and 2 within margin of error (2% between all of them) at 4GHz.

Soldato
If AMD can deliver a 12C/24T chip that has 10% more IPC and an all core boost of 4.7GHz, I will get on. I'm asking for a lot and will probably be disappointed :p
Why is that asking for a lot? The internals of a Zen 2 chiplet should give us that IPC boost, the 7nm process more than allows for a pair of 6-core chiplets. 4.7GHz all core boost for 12 cores might be asking a bit much but we'll see.

Soldato
From our testing for iRacing, we found Skylake has one of the best IPC of the recent CPU's. Kaby is about 1-2% down on Skylake and Coffee is almost identical. Though they can clock higher negating the Skylake benefit. I'm not certain but I think most of the CPU's tested have the Spectre/Meltdown patches active. Some don't for sure, but as it was collaborative community testing for a lot of the results it highlighted people who had outliers with badly setup PC's and gave good targets from those who knew what they were doing for the more average users. Those who do know also did have Spectre patch disabled for better performance IIRC. The testing was pretty conclusive with Skylake through to Coffee all matching Ryzen 1 and 2 within margin of error (2% between all of them) at 4GHz.

Oh ok, it's interesting that you've actually seen a regression in IPC in your testing.
Did everyone use the same ram? speed, timings, amount? and the same or similar boards? Turbo boost off for intel? Cores disabled on ryzen and higher core count intel parts?

Soldato
ah, finally confirmation of it coming out Q3.

@Plec should be able to spill more beans just before computex but also lands 2 days before my daughters bday so might forget... now 3rd time in a row I couldn't go to the show ;(

Soldato
source would be helpful

i wouldn't - people don't realise leaks ends up getting people that trusted them or personnel in companies into a lot of hot water- personally need to be shot ..

Videocardz on the other hand are actually given offical leaks (japan region mostly) and then twist it that they have found out or a source... but its actually handed on a plate direct from companies .

also 99% on here would take anything with pinch of salt , other 1% they'll take on board the heads up :D

I've been stating on here from January release is Q3 as well as x570 boards will eclipse their z390 counterparts VRM wise , also asus set up is quite different from their z390 line up and maches rivals a lot more closely

Man of Honour
AMD's come back, they came in with a poorer (but smaller) litho, 2 gens later they've changed architecture already. Chiplets is clearly where Intel will follow. That they do nothing but minor clock bumps for nearly 10 years followed by cribbing the design of their competition. Clearly dominant and innovative, yes. :rolleyes:

Intel do chiplets "not a real quad core", AMD do chiplets "innovating". Makes me laugh sometimes.

PS I've linked to the Intel whitepaper for chiplet design using interconnects like Ryzen does before so not like Intel would be copying AMD their just artificially holding back progress.

Last edited:
Soldato
Q3 July would be great, Q3 September would suck.

Unless Navi is also Q3 in which case release the entire 3000 series ecosystem at the same time: CPUs, boards, GPUs, oh my!

was told vendor side July - though AMD has final say but as you've seen from Biostar boards have been designed and made/being produced

AMD havent released any pricing to board vendors though - so any info about pricing I wouldn't believe personally

Associate
Sorry if this has already been covered but am I right in assuming the only difference between x470 and x570 would be PCI-E 4.0 support on one slot? And that GPUs are nowhere near saturating PCI-E 3.0 yet?

Like someone else on here I'm thinking of picking up an older CPU at cut price with an b450 and riding on behind the curve, personal life is now dictating I can't afford £250 x570, £300 cpu and £100 RAM, although a smidgen over £300 for 1700, B450 and RAM might be doable...

Back
Top Bottom