BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
The ISP is a customer of Openreach, they can kick it back until it's fixed and it doesn't cost them to do that. There will be somebody working at Openreach who can fix the fault, it's just getting the right person there.

Soldato
It's been 3 years since we moved to the countryside and has a 2km run to the cabinet. We somehow got about 6mb on our vdsl connection, over the last 6 months a new cabinet appeared, then I found out we were not intended to be moved to it, then I found out that some plans had been changed, then there were wayleave agreements (and a grand in the family pocket for the privilege) and now finally, we're here, in the 21st century. Sync at 40000 on our sky q router. It took a week for the DSL checker to update to reflect the new speeds from when I saw the immedeuplift at 10am last Wednesday.

It's now just a case of choosing a new provider for an upto 80mb package (getting 37 on my sky 40,but I think the router has some qos built in to limit one ip hogging the whole pipe).

Oddly, every other isp now has the updated numbers when I do a broadband search. Except BT!

Probably got 3 new deals to sort out so I'll have a good hunt.

Soldato
I've just had confirmation of when Openreach can install fibre. 18th july. I ordered it on 4th Feb via ZEN. They came out within 3-4 days. So I need a temp solution for the business broadband or I can't take card payments and our Till system wont function at 100%

Associate
Answer = yes. :p

It just tipped over big time and came back up at "Connection Speed (Kbps) 65992 / 16130" which is the worse I've ever seen it. That's going to get a reboot.
For the past two weeks mine has been fluctuating between 2.1 and 1.8db and no dropped connection so far and still keeping max speed..

Soldato
small update which could mean absolutely nothing, Back in jan i posted there was a small work crew messing about with my cab and added a new cab with some type of extension box onto the right of it, since then seen nothing since.

Checked Dsl Checker just now, no mention of Gfast on the main bit but just below "Observed Speeds" and usually just has VDSL next to it, it now also brings up GFast which for now is empty.

89yyyib.jpg

Could mean something could possibly mean nothing, the wait continues.

Soldato
small update which could mean absolutely nothing, Back in jan i posted there was a small work crew messing about with my cab and added a new cab with some type of extension box onto the right of it, since then seen nothing since.

Checked Dsl Checker just now, no mention of Gfast on the main bit but just below "Observed Speeds" and usually just has VDSL next to it, it now also brings up GFast which for now is empty.

89yyyib.jpg

Could mean something could possibly mean nothing, the wait continues.
I've had great success dealing directly with the BDUK guy for Worcestershire, you might find your local one is just as helpful.

Soldato
Shove your laptop straight into the modem and dial a PPPoE connection to test the theory.

If you had a G.fast faceplate then your internal wiring was already isolated. The faceplate might be faulty, Openreach should replace it if that is the case.

Yes getting the full 330 like that and on the DSL checker site it confirms:

Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps) 330
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps) 50
Observed Date 2019-05-01

Thinking about getting a Ubiquiti USG Pro 4 as we have some AP Pros and a Cloud Key already.

Caporegime
The USG product line is dead so maybe hold off for a bit. You're losing 37Mbps in total out of 330, so unless you're desperate then I'd be tempted to just leave things as they are for now.

Soldato
Oh right didn't know that, thank you! Maybe I'll wait for a G.Fast Draytek to launch then or something new from Ubiquiti replacing the USG series.

Soldato
So, I placed my order with ee over the phone for my new fibre. The lady quoted me the same speeds I can see myself on BTs dsl checker,so she obviously looked our number up on one system or another.

Since then it had to be cancelled as according to BTs systems, we can only get broadband (we already have fibre from sky). Hopefully they don't take too long to update their system so I can get my order placed.

BTs twitter team say it sounds like the brand new cabinet serving 40 properties is over capacity. When I asked how it can be a problem since I'm already on it for fibre with sky, they said it might be that bt have used all their slots while other providers have some free.

I'm willing to bet its just a database hasn't updated somewhere. It took a week from our cabinet migration happening to the DSL checker updating, even though we got the uplift to proper speeds immediately.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So, I placed my order with ee over the phone for my new fibre. The lady quoted me the same speeds I can see myself on BTs dsl checker,so she obviously looked our number up on one system or another.

Since then it had to be cancelled as according to BTs systems, we can only get broadband (we already have fibre from sky). Hopefully they don't take too long to update their system so I can get my order placed.

BTs twitter team say it sounds like the brand new cabinet serving 40 properties is over capacity. When I asked how it can be a problem since I'm already on it for fibre with sky, they said it might be that bt have used all their slots while other providers have some free.

I'm willing to bet its just a database hasn't updated somewhere. It took a week from our cabinet migration happening to the DSL checker updating, even though we got the uplift to proper speeds immediately.
AFAIK there are no specific slots for each provider, it’s first come first serve. How would the BT DSLchecker work otherwise?

Soldato
AFAIK there are no specific slots for each provider, it’s first come first serve. How would the BT DSLchecker work otherwise?
Well quite.

I imagine the issue is just a system not yet updating and then the customer facing people I've dealt with not really knowing what's going on. I'm not shocked at this revelation.

A rep from Comtek got in touch on twitter and said there's nothing in the way of having Zen, but I think it was 39 a month compared to the 29 that EE can't supply or 28 that Voda probably can.

Soldato
The USG product line is dead so maybe hold off for a bit. You're losing 37Mbps in total out of 330, so unless you're desperate then I'd be tempted to just leave things as they are for now.

USG is dead? I've just literally bought and fitted out my house with 3 x LR APs, Cloud Key and one USG. What is changing?

I am still waiting for FTTP. Originally installed in our area April 2018. Still conducting civil engineering ground works until around a month ago.

Openreach Checker website says:

"Your area is currently in our plans to be upgraded with Fibre to the Premises (FTTP), however we follow a different design and build process for FTTP so you won't see updates at each stage. Once the engineering work is completed there is a commissioning period of up to eight weeks before an order can be placed. When you are able to place an order you will see the Accepting Orders message."

It's been like that for a year. Openreach Executive Support Team advise that they have contacted the Project Manager to find out why there is a delay (of a year). We have the ducting laid in the streets outside and the fibre has been blown through, but nothing has been supplied or fitting from the street to the house.

Back
Top Bottom