Spec me a Vacuum

Soldato
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a new Vacuum Cleaner! If you can believe it - I've been in my new property since August last year, and have made it this far with just borrowing my parents one every now and again :p

I live in a top floor Maisonette, and all the rooms have laminate flooring, apart from the bathroom which is tiled. The only bit of carpet is the stairwell, and it is definitely the toughest part to keep clean.

For the house, I mostly just use a dustpan & brush, and a broom, to clean away all the dust that forms. However, with the stairwell being carpeted, it needs a little more attention.

I was thinking about getting a small handheld vacuum to clean the stairs on a regular basis, and then getting a eufy robovac for the laminate flooring. But I'm not sure how good the handheld vacs are, or whether having a robovac for a bit of dust is overkill.

Any recommendations would be great - This is my first property, and I don't really know what to look for :p

Thanks,
Marky

Soldato
OP

I would love a Dyson, but they're so expensive :eek:

EDIT: I've just seen the Dyson V6 Cord Free Vacuum for £199 - It's expensive, but now I'm actually tempted, have I gone mad?! :p

I have a Shark, they are really good and it splits from the main vacuum unit so it is small and easy to do things like stairs

I hadn't heard of them before, but I'll take a look, thanks! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I would love a Dyson, but they're so expensive :eek:

EDIT: I've just seen the Dyson V6 Cord Free Vacuum for £199 - It's expensive, but now I'm actually tempted, have I gone mad?! :p

I hadn't heard of them before, but I'll take a look, thanks! :)

If you're not bothered about it being new you can usually get good deals on the Dyson Outlet for refurbished models.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dyson-V7...r-Guarantee-/133040688119?hash=item1ef9d7cbf7

I would absolutely get a cordless one. I find myself much more likely to hoover now i can just grab the vac and fly around downstairs in 5 mins or so, rather than getting the vac out, messing around plugging the cord in, then having to reel the cord around again. It sounds like minimal faff but it was something which always annoyed me :p

Soldato
OP
I've also a Shark.... Was around £180 on sale at amazon at the time.

Would recommend!

Nice! Thanks for the recommendation :)

buy a miele they are like £80 when on sale and the bags last for ages in a 3 bed detached. we change the bag like once every 6 months.

If you want to buy one that'll last for ages get a Miele or a SEBO.

My parents have a Miele also, and swear by it!

If you're not bothered about it being new you can usually get good deals on the Dyson Outlet for refurbished models.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dyson-V7...r-Guarantee-/133040688119?hash=item1ef9d7cbf7

I would absolutely get a cordless one. I find myself much more likely to hoover now i can just grab the vac and fly around downstairs in 5 mins or so, rather than getting the vac out, messing around plugging the cord in, then having to reel the cord around again. It sounds like minimal faff but it was something which always annoyed me :p

Don't worry - I completely get it :p :D That is a very tempting deal! Thanks for posting! I will have a consider!...

Big henry ftw

Can't really go wrong with a Henry :p But it's a bit too big and cumbersome for my liking - I currently use my parents Miele on my stairs, and the fact that it's so big, makes it more hassle than I'd like... I don't want to clean as it is - if I can get a wireless handheld thingy, that sounds best :p

Caporegime

Don't worry - I completely get it :p :D That is a very tempting deal! Thanks for posting! I will have a consider!...

Can't really go wrong with a Henry :p But it's a bit too big and cumbersome for my liking - I currently use my parents Miele on my stairs, and the fact that it's so big, makes it more hassle than I'd like... I don't want to clean as it is - if I can get a wireless handheld thingy, that sounds best :p

Miele have new models with aren't as big and clunky.

Man of Honour
Dyson are overpriced crap now. Our old one was great (DC25 I think?) but the latest batch are terrible. We have a V7 and a V8. The V7 battery and suction is terrible. The V8 sucks better but it has a habit of overheating and shutting off, and dropping larger particles back out onto the floor.

I think we are going to try shark next.

Soldato
Mielle cannister vacuum. Huge range which will give you choices. I'm a hay-fever sufferer so got a HEPA one. Mielle cannisters generally offer the best filtration also.

My HEPA is a smaller size which suited my apartment perfectly.

Soldato
Miele too , or the equivalent Bosch ........ I accused my neighbour of being a brexiteer when he was cleaning his car using his dyson the other day - enough said

but for laminate flooring with a fine grain, is there a special attachment versus carpets .. the powered brush heads will be pretty useless no ?
sabre brooms are good for them.

EDIT LOL - dysonboschmieleshark seems like a microfibre mop is what is needed
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=36426

Last edited:
Soldato
Shark Cordless here. Comes with loads of attachments and 2 batteries (the one I got)

Yes the dust tank is a bit small but keeping on top of the house chores it's not an issue. Having the 2nd battery is a defo if it's you're main vacuum.

Soldato

I have a Charles , it’s a Henry but with wet vacuum too, I’ve probably removed a few tons of rubble, sawdust, nails and other crud over of the years, cleaned my car seats with it a few weeks ago too, you’re right they are quite cumbersome but they’re well built and the suction power is excellent, I’ll get another when over finished decorating and keep one upstairs and one downstairs

Soldato
Don't get the V6, unless it's just for doing a couple of rugs or other small scale applications. The battery in my Mums doesn't even manage a full room before it packs in on the high power setting. The dust chamber is tiny and fills up in no time, which gets annoying, especially as you pop open the bottom and the dust stays where it is, so you then need to start poking it out with a stick, or remove the entire chamber. Dust floats up out of the bin while doing this and you end up breathing it in. It just feels really cheap as well and already the fancy silver paint is starting to wear away at the corners. I'd honestly think it was some cheapo Chinese £30 job if I didn't know it was a £200 Dyson.

Back
Top Bottom