Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Associate
Watched the first 2 episodes last night. I remember as a kid the milk in the primary schools being stopped etc etc. Its alwasy held an odd fascination with me for some reason ( but one I've never really explored into much ).

I've found the series gripping. As for the accents .... really .... who cares that much. I'd rather watch the pictures, and listen to the dialogue than spend half the time reading subtitles and missing the nuances of the people on screen.

Very much recommended from me.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I was planning to bank them all and then binge it as I dislike waiting a week between episodes, but I just can't.

I've always wanted to do one of the tours of Chernobyl and Pripyat, even more so now.

Soldato
I've always wanted to do one of the tours of Chernobyl and Pripyat, even more so now.

I'm going for my 6th time in October. It's well worth going if you find the right group and have even a passing interest in the subject. I've seen something different every time. It's become more of a social event for me now hence the number of visits.

Associate
I'm going for my 6th time in October. It's well worth going if you find the right group and have even a passing interest in the subject. I've seen something different every time. It's become more of a social event for me now hence the number of visits.

Would love some details of how you book a trip like this if you wouldn't mind.

I've been fascinated with the place since reading Kidofspeed's motorcycle ride through there years ago.

Soldato
I think so but I'm biased as the subject is one I take a lot of interest in. I didn't know about the divers till my 2nd or 3rd visit. I've been to the room in the hospital basement where all the clothes are. Still very highly irradiated.

It must be pretty weird seeing it for real then seeing them being dumped by nurses in a drama. The thought of it is quite uncanny, the whole thing holds a morbid fascination for a lot of people though.

Soldato
goddamn, that's how to write an ending to an episode.

stonking series so far, there's no explosions every 15mins, no visible threat to be seen, no overdone melodrama etc, but the sense of foreboding and bleak hopelessness is just amazing.

Associate
Second episode was very good as well...very strong series. The tone is very well judged, no american sensationalism etc just telling the story.

I dont know how much of it is accurate but the story of the 3 engineers seems to check out as did the helicopter crash. Just seems to get darker each time when the stories being presented by the program actually ends up being fairly accurate.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Its 99% accurate. Have a listen to the podcast with the director above, they discuss it in detail.

The only thing they've really changed (so far) is the character played by Emily Watson, Ulana Khomyuk, she is fictional. She plays the part of the 'many' other scientist's that helped and advised on what to do, rather than cast a bunch of other characters.

From around the 5 min mark. :)

https://youtu.be/faQs2_hjNZk?t=302

https://www.newsweek.com/hbo-chernobyl-fact-vs-fiction-1416474

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Watched the first two episodes last night. As a H&S professional I’ve studied it at length so was probably more familiar with the events than most people.

I think they could have done a bit more of a prelude in episode 1. The job they did setting up the bad atmosphere in the control room was epic but it barely showed any of the series of events that led to the explosion.

Episode 2 was great too, so I’m thinking they wanted to focus on the people for the story but there are some great documentaries out there that really show how things went to hell in a hand basket beyond the “oops, power too high, bang” that we got here.

For reference, the safety test was meant to be conducted at a minimum of 700MW and they dropped as low as 150/200MW before starting.

The station would run base load at approx 3,600MW which is a massive amount of power however when you realise that power output jumped so quickly (500MW in 3 seconds) and the last recorded output in the control room was 33,000MW and a several hundred tonne metal cap on the core got blown off, it puts it in to perspective.

Still, waiting for episode 3 :)

Back
Top Bottom