Batwoman

Soldato
Did you even watch the trailer? The timing of this is hardly coincidence. 66k down votes vs 32k upvotes, seems its been fairly well received...

I watched the trailer, looks all right and seemingly intends to follow the source material which is good but as above I won't watch it as I tend not to like superhero stuff on TV, can't think of any shows that have worked.

You may object to it because you hate women being out the kitchen or some such but it isn't a bandwagon or a gender swap. It's a show about a woman hero with a woman lead simple as that.

Caporegime
You may object to it because you hate women being out the kitchen or some such but it isn't a bandwagon or a gender swap. It's a show about a woman hero with a woman lead simple as that.

Sure it isn't, just incredibly convenient timing along with some choice lines designed to make people roll their eyes.

"I'm not going to let a man take credit for a womans work" But apparently taking BatMAN's tech is fine and dandy....

"The suit is literal perfection. It will be, when it fits a woman". :rolleyes:

Soldato
Sure it isn't, just incredibly convenient timing along with some choice lines designed to make people roll their eyes.

"I'm not going to let a man take credit for a womans work" But apparently taking BatMAN's tech is fine and dandy....

Yeah I'll give you that one, the quote was needless. The character in the comics is a military vet and is very serious (arguably a little overly so) all the time and doesn't do the sass stuff at all. Though she does have a bit of an edge in her relationship with Bruce as she sees herself as doing it right and by the book with him being full vigilante.

Quotes like that are why I don't bother with some shows myself, i.e. Titans, Starfire is quite reserved and quiet in the books and socially awkward, being an alien, first scene in the show is some sassy bad ass testing people up and I gave in :p

I'm not saying this show is immune to criticism, I just like the comics and object to people blindly calling it a gender swap especially as it seems (at least from the trailer) to be being relatively faithful to the material.

Man of Honour
So many people so sensitive to any form of female empowerment. After years and years of women being the obvious rescuees and sex objects is it really so triggering to have a little bit of in your face female empowerment?

The above point is absolutely right about the use of ‘woman’ rather than ‘me’ in that it is obviously supposed to be promoting ‘women are ace’ and is obnoxious but... what’s so wrong with that? It’s just a bit of fun :/

HOWEVER.

I then showed this to the GF and she found the feminist aspects try-hard and that it would be far better if she was awesome and incidentally a woman.

I suppose I can see why she feels patronised as a woman. I certainly don’t feel threatened or triggered by it though as a man.

Kind of interesting... and complicated!

Soldato
After years and years of women being the obvious rescuees and sex objects is it really so triggering to have a little bit of in your face female empowerment?

I think thats the mistake most people make when talking about these new characters - People don't have a problem with female empowerment as every Ellen Ripley, Sarah Conner, Xena, GoT Cersi/Dani/Sansa/Arya/Brienne etc, Sarah from "Chuck", Starbuck from BSG, Sam Carter from Stargate, Lara Croft, Wonder Woman (since the 1970's), all the female X-Men/Avengers, Halle Berry in John Wick 3 etc etc etc proves time and time again. So being told "you must have a problem with strong women" when we provably don't is just insulting to most folks.

What people have a problem with is badly designed 1 dimensional characters (being "a woman" isn't character development) spouting utterly terrible lines designed to be exclusionary and then being told - if YOU don't like this then YOU are the problem.

As you and I have both pointed out, changing two words in the trailer from "a woman" to "me/my" completely changes the tone of trailer and, to me, makes it more inclusive meaning a much bigger audience.

Man of Honour
I think thats the mistake most people make when talking about these new characters - People don't have a problem with female empowerment as every Ellen Ripley, Sarah Conner, Xena, GoT Cersi/Dani/Sansa/Arya/Brienne etc, Sarah from "Chuck", Starbuck from BSG, Sam Carter from Stargate, Lara Croft, Wonder Woman (since the 1970's), all the female X-Men/Avengers, Halle Berry in John Wick 3 etc etc etc proves time and time again. So being told "you must have a problem with strong women" when we provably don't is just insulting to most folks.

What people have a problem with is badly designed 1 dimensional characters (being "a woman" isn't character development) spouting utterly terrible lines designed to be exclusionary and then being told - if YOU don't like this then YOU are the problem.

As you and I have both pointed out, changing two words in the trailer from "a woman" to "me/my" completely changes the tone of trailer and, to me, makes it more inclusive meaning a much bigger audience.
Yeah I deffo agree with that in bold although I don’t think people (i.e. us) are being told that we are a problem by not liking this character. And to the extent people are being told that, then those people doing the telling should be rightfully ignored.

It’s sort of a fine balance. Men should be free to point out these flaws but I think we can only be legitimately annoyed by it to a degree. Females and minorities have a much better right to get annoyed by how THEY are portrayed. I really don’t think men should feel threatened by it either... there are quite a few comments in this forum whenever anything with girls happens, men get so disproportionately triggered. Female ghostbusters, female cliffhanger, oceans 8, girls coming together in avengers endgame... definitely a trend of men being unduly aggy. I’m certainly not bothered by whom is playing a particular role... I just care whether the film / series is good *shrug*

Soldato
there are quite a few comments in this forum whenever anything with girls happens, men get so disproportionately triggered. Female ghostbusters, female cliffhanger, oceans 8, girls coming together in avengers endgame... definitely a trend of men being unduly aggy.

I see that too and I wonder how much of the "men being unduly aggy" comes down to how much some of those men felt that they were "attacked" by the studio & media etc for giving genuine criticism during the first big backlash - Ghostbusters - leading to this cyclical relationship we have now where those men feel like, every time they complain they're going to get "attacked" (even if they're not), leading them to react way more harshly than they should, which leads the studio/media to react more harshly against them, leading men to.................etc. What ever the initial reason (depending on whose "side" you fall on) for this cyclical system, it's just crap for everyone now but I don't see it changing.

I’m certainly not bothered by whom is playing a particular role... I just care whether the film / series is good *shrug*

I'm of the same mind, a great character is a great character no matter who/what plays the role. In my mind at least, the whole point of a great character is that the viewer doesn't "see" things like their sex, race, age etc because they're so utterly absorbed by the character that those peripheral thoughts just don't matter.

EDIT - I missed this bit out from my first reply, sorry -

I then showed this to the GF and she found the feminist aspects try-hard and that it would be far better if she was awesome and incidentally a woman.

Yeah, I can see it being patronising for a studio (and comic TBF) to effectively say "hey women, if you liked Batman you will love this...........Batwoman..........it's the same idea but with a woman instead of a man" which negates all the many reasons people give for liking Batman and instead reduces it to gender issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't watch the trailer as I saw a video about it on YouTube. It's a CW show so it's going to be a fanny fest, but they are really pushing it, other shows have been somewhat subtle, but this is too 'in your face'..

It's like they, feminists, have a checkbox of things that have to be in show as a dog whistle to their 'super woke' 'fans'. Things like:

At least a 2:1 woman/man ratio - even more if possible.
Gender swapped or race swapped characters, maybe bother race and gender swapped.
Main character tries too hard to be mean whilst barely 100lbs if that.
Story makes no sense, no sense of irony at all.
White males will be the bad guys.
Fem music

Now I don't mind female lead shows, the more the merrier, it can be done soo much better than this. They have a demographic in mind, and that is fine, but it's not a white man that's for sure.. I don't mind this show at all, the title and CW should be enough for anyone to know what this is, I prefer this than to take something like Star trek or the next phase of the MCU, where there is a massive shift in the story that is not, or barely, related to canon.

Just another CW show to put on the 'do not watch' list.

Soldato
Let's be honest here. Will more males than females watch this show?? Chick in leathers.....
More males watched Captain Marvel. More Females watched Aquaman. I guess sex does sell.

I don't care if a show has a female/gay/male lead. Just make a badass character without repeatedly telling me that your a woman/gay/male/race.

Glow is a fantastic show and almost has a entire female cast

Back
Top Bottom