What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
I’ve driven over a speed bump in the truck fully loaded (44t) and the vibrations were enough to knock over a parked moped!

With that in mind,I certainly would not use axle stands on a public road never mind one that’s access to an industrial estate.

You monster! I once set off a van alarm with my RC40 backboxed mini :D

Soldato
After getting some good news after my MOT that my tyres were indeed replaced when I bought it, I've only gone and wrecked left side :(

Completely my fault too - had a mental cow in a 4x4 slam on her breaks and turn left into a retail park (nearly went into the back of her), and as I went past, I looked into her car to see if she was on her phone, and caught the edge of the kerb of the exit lane at 25 MPH, taking a chunk out of my alloys and tyres :( To make things worse, she nearly caused a crash on a roundabout only 5 seconds before (again, me in it). Just swerved round it from opposite direct with no indication :o

Just spent £420 on my car for a service, MOT and some other things :mad:

I flipping hope suspension is okay :(

No pics unfortunately - I'm too chicken to go and properly assess the damage :p

Soldato
Found some grease on the inside of one of my wheels. Quick check over confirmed a split CV boot. Being sorted this week.

IMG-20190519-WA0011.jpg

Soldato
Considered it, and i might do if i start to do more with cars but for such minor jobs it seems silly to buy them and then have to think about storing them given the size.

I'd definitley go the ramp route for your use. I use a set of Rhino Ramps which stack together and really don't take up that much space (more than a couple of axle stands I grant - assuming you already have a jack), but I feel more comfortable working under the car when it's on those. Plus it's easier to do - no jacking up etc. They're also useful even if you are going to jack the car up as you've got it in the air already, and because of the weight they'll take you can use them as emergency/safety stands too.

Caporegime
Fixed my exhaust clonking noise. It had sagged in the middle a little and was resting on top of one of the cross-braces. Loosened the various clamps, jacked it up, tightened the clamps back up, now has 1cm clearance again. Bit strange. Would have expected there to be some kind of support in that area but can't see anywhere on the floor or the exhaust where it would go.

No oil consumption at all after 2000 miles or so, a lot of which was full throttle hooning, so thats nice too. No idea if its even an issue with these engines but its good to check anyway. :p

Associate
No oil consumption at all after 2000 miles or so, a lot of which was full throttle hooning, so thats nice too. No idea if its even an issue with these engines but its good to check anyway. :p

Engine wise they are usually fine with oil. It's the PCV breather box system that's crap on turbo Volvo's and gunk up with oil over time. It failed on my T4 and last month failed on my T5. Not that expensive to sort when it does go :)

Soldato
It is an issue, here and there. Rear camshaft seals leak, oil filler gaskets fail spectacularly fairly frequently and often within being noticed, PCV as mentioned is the main point. If that gets left long enough it will bulge and ruin your rear main seal and then you'll have a heck of a leak.

Back
Top Bottom