Any Nissan Or Mitsubishi Pickup Owners On Here?

Soldato
OP
Hope that’s easily fixed.

I really like the Renault badged version of the Navara (Alaskan), but even the oldest used ones go for over €30K which is way more than I’d foolishly hoped to spend.

Man of Honour
"Exhaust Gas Recirculation Throttle Control Circuit "A" Range/Performance" - dunno much about that part of the system dunno if it was due to the extreme cold though a vehicle like this should handle it really hah. Gonna hit up the dealer Monday.

Man of Honour
More time I spend with this vehicle the more obvious it is Nissan have cheaped out, often for seemingly no real good reason, wherever they thought they could get away with it - not my first experience of this with Nissan - which is kind of sad as otherwise this would be a decent vehicle. Puts me right off ideas of a GT-R down the road. Glad I didn't pay that much for this one.

If I decide to keep a pickup long term will be going straight back to VW with the Amarok.

Man of Honour
At the expense of posting several times in a row - they are going to replace the whole EGR valve they tried refurbishing it but after a few miles of testing it would throw up the same error again so looks like the sensor is faulty (second faulty sensor we've found so far :( ). From a look at the computer - 22,000 miles at an average 15mph and a bit of interpreting the previous trip history data it looks like it has spent most of its life in start-stop traffic meaning the engine (diesel) has never really got to run properly - it has not been used off-road or as a workhorse, etc.

Man of Honour
Surprisingly managing 30mpg on my commute:

Po3alfx.jpg

Was expecting it to be worse as 2/3rds of the journey is twisty country lanes/A road that barely qualifies for the classification with lots of steep hills.

(This is the last version of the D40 Outlaw w/ 3L V6 not the new Navara).

Man of Honour
That’s not bad for 3L V6! Weird that the previous owner used it to commute...

Yeah its definitely not a good choice if you are going to be regularly stuck in stop/start traffic - the engine doesn't seem to like it (gets gunked up) and it tanks any chance of a reasonable MPG. But I seem to be seeing more and more of them used for commuting. I'm currently using mine for commuting as before moving I had to make the choice of keeping one vehicle due to lack of drive space - still haven't made a long term decision - as I'm commuting at all hours and now living in a reasonably remote rural location having the 4 wheel drive option, etc. is handy.

Currently costing me slightly over £300 a year to insure which is another surprise - down from slightly under £400 at my old address - was expecting it to be a lot more than that.

I am still of very mixed opinion - the ride is generally pretty decent (probably helped by having a hefty metal tonneau cover on the back) but once I get down to around 1/4 of a tank of fuel I start to notice the steering becoming twitchier and body roll creeping in. While something specific to this model the steering is a bit frustrating in a way as well - mostly it is very good for a pickup but sometimes you get an annoying vagueness - annoying because the rest of the time its fine - it feels like they stopped refining it once they got it "good enough" - which is also the story throughout this pickup a lot of stuff is good but just short of excellent or let down because they seem to have moved onto other areas once it was "good enough" or to save a few pennies when a little extra work or just a little extra money would have made a huge difference in the quality of the final product.

I still think my money would be on the Amarok but it is hard to justify the money (I'd definitely want the highline/4motion) versus my level of usage.

EDIT: The tonneau cover seems to make a fair difference to MPG as well - I was struggling to get over 25-26 without it - though you'd have to be doing a lot of miles or get one very cheap for it to be worth it for that reason alone as it would take awhile to cover the cost of one with the fuel savings.

Man of Honour
Not that I drive recklessly hah especially not in a pickup but I'd forgotten how much fun rear-wheel drive is just something satisfying about the cornering I'd forgotten I was missing in front-wheel drive vehicles.

Soldato
OP
Not that I drive recklessly hah especially not in a pickup but I'd forgotten how much fun rear-wheel drive is just something satisfying about the cornering I'd forgotten I was missing in front-wheel drive vehicles.

Rolling into corners and then powering out is far more fun in RWD vehicle. FWD is easy mode until you do something stupid.

Like I did yesterday while towing my 500kg unbraked trailer up to the local recycling depot. Winding uphill rural road with high crown and either dead-flat or slightly adverse cambers in the turns. Because I was only doing 50-60KPH, I ignored the “fresh gravel” caution signs and took the worst tightening turn at usual speed. Big mistake as the road is basically several centimetres of loose gravel on top of that which actually bonded to the fresh tar. Should have known better as a thin layer of new tar and at least twice as much gravel as needed is the standard road repair technique out here in the sticks.

So, both Duster and trailer are riding on a wave of loose gravel towards the ditch on the other side of the road. Being FWD, lifting off doesn’t help at all and I have to drop to second and floor it to straighten up and make the turn. Got a wave and a “I know you almost ****** that up” grin from the farmer stood in his field at the top of the road.

I think that it’s probably a good thing that I didn’t get a proper pickup truck..

Man of Honour
I think that it’s probably a good thing that I didn’t get a proper pickup truck..

Probably would have approached it a bit more careful in one though hah.

There is a corner on my way back from work - early apex into an uphill left, crest, gentle right that is so satisfying in RWD to roll in then get on the power - kind of amusing as well as inevitably I get some little hot hatch or whatever clamped on my tail for the last few miles if they haven't managed to overtake but they ain't so clamped on behind going around that corner.

Man of Honour
One thing I'm not enjoying so much is how almost Jekyll and Hyde the ride and handling is depending on how much fuel there is (if not carrying a load) - normally I like to keep the tank fairly full so it isn't a problem but as I've mentioned before once the fuel tank gets much below half the steering becomes almost floaty in comparison and twitchier and you start to get more of the kind of body roll you typically expect from a pickup or other high centre mass vehicle - it is kind of strange how reasonably planted and stable it feels in contrast with a full tank of fuel and the tonneau cover definitely helps there.

For the first few months I rarely drove it without a nearly full tank and/or loaded up with stuff to put in storage, etc. due to an impending house move so noticed it a lot less.

Man of Honour
Thought I'd post my general thoughts having been driving the Navara D40 (V6 Outlaw) for around a year now. Overall I think Nissan have let themselves down badly with the Navara and while not every aspect I'd be critical of are shared between the D40 and NP300 too many seem to be from my limited experience of the new model. While there is a lot I like about the vehicle there are too many areas they've skimped to save pennies or got things just about "good enough" and let it at that which sabotage the overall, which should be very positive, impression. Whether that is stuff like the door rubber which ages far quicker than other vehicles unless regularly treated, the potential issues with chassis corrosion, etc., the steering which overall is very good but has some annoying vagueness at times which I'm sure they could have got right with a bit more effort, the ride is generally good with a decent feeling of being planted on the road when there is a bit of weight and/or a full tank of fuel involved but get down to like half a tank of fuel and it bounces around a ton and very different to how it feels with a full tank - again something I'm sure they could have improved on with a bit more effort (obviously there are limits in that context when it comes to pickups). Can't really comment on reliability as I've not had it long enough to get a good picture on that and 1-2 issues are related to the dealer I bought it from rather than the vehicle itself.

I've found it hugely capable off-road much more so even than it is usually credited with but on the other hand if you do actually use it properly it doesn't shrug off the kind of rough and tumble other pickups have no problem with and you will be replacing things like ball joints and/or having to do low key maintenance (that you wouldn't have to do as readily on other pickups) and as long as I keep the fuel tank topped up I find it pretty comfortable on the road especially with the leather seats and refinement of the engine on this model - little bit more cabin noise than I'd like but overall I'm pretty happy in terms of a place to be on journeys.

I do really miss having a proper boot though - while there are some under seat storage bins they aren't as big as on the US pickups I've experience of and on my vehicle the previous owner specced it with the top tier audio so has a massive sub-woofer taking up 2/3rds of that space.

Fuel economy hasn't been bad for me personally despite having the 3L V6 model - not hugely behind the kind of stuff I'd normally drive and largely it isn't a problem practicality wise on UK roads though I do find myself planning ahead when it comes to parking and tend to avoid narrow country lanes when I can (though living out in the sticks that isn't always possible).

Feel badly let down by the VW dealer (and not a small time one either) I bought it from - glad I didn't go in there and act on the impulse of spending new Amarok money - the work their service department did making it ready for sale has been done to a poor standard causing me more time and money down the line sorting (mostly stuff like panels only put back with 1-2 out of the 3-4 screws that should hold them in place and stuff like that but there are a couple of areas where they did work relevant to the running of the vehicle where things weren't correctly tightened up as well), they incorrectly told me it had already had a chassis inspection done which formed part of my purchasing decision and I've found out subsequently from Nissan to be untrue and the tyres put on it for sale were incorrect spec for the vehicle causing me more cost and hassle down the line (also different from those in the ad and I'm 99% sure but can't be certain were on it when I agreed the purchase). On the other hand the nearby Nissan dealer have been excellent and done a lot to help out with the issues which makes me a little more likely to consider the Navara again in the future plus I do like the Navara shape - while the Amarok edges it on looks I prefer the rounded off wheel arches on the Navara to the squared ones on the Amarok.

I'm undecided on the future - there is a lot I like about owning a pickup just the feeling of almost being ready for anything, etc. like being a bit higher up when driving but when I bought it my usage was a little bit of everything so a pickup was a good compromise as it was at least OK or better at everything but at the moment my main usage seems to be pounding A roads so I'm likely to be reconsidering my options I do miss having a consistently good ride quality as well. If I did go pickup again I think on balance it would probably be the Amarok, none the less I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy a pickup that didn't have a V6 engine which is currently lacking in the Navara range, but with my usage I struggle to justify Amarok money versus the other vehicles that price range opens up. (I'd also have to go further afield VW wise as I definitely wouldn't go back to the main commercial dealer for this region).

EDIT: Also something about this Navara I really click with - the general layout of things, the engine response with the V6/computer/gearbox, etc. just work for me which doubly makes me sad Nissan didn't make a bit more effort.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom