What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
My observation is that the majority of people who love it watched it at the cinema and the majority of people who thought it was ordinary watched it at home.

There’s something to be said about the power of this movie in the theatres, where you can feel the entire cinema holding its breath, people stopped eating popcorn and they don’t dare make a noise together.

Agreed, a bit like the Blair Witch Project which was awesome in a cinema where everyone was dialed in but all it takes is a distraction to completely ruin films like that.

I saw Quiet Place at the cinema and loved the tension, it was just the stretching of credibility too far that knocked a few points off for me.

Associate
The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019) - 5/10

The animation is good and the animals (and kids) have the cute factor, but there isn’t much else about it.

The stories are ok, but go far too over the top as they progress, and it feels as though it’s trying too hard to be cool and funny.

There are some mildly amusing moments, but mostly, it’s nothing special.

Soldato
After watching Fellowship the other night, I gave The Two Towers a rewatch tonight. Like the first instalment, a lot of it surprised me by how well it held up. The battle at Helms Deep still looks pretty well done. Even Gollum looks sharp, given the CGI is 17 years old.

Soldato
Aladdin (2019) - 9/10

Enjoyable, fun and entertaining throughout with some great songs, great special effects, good acting and a classic story which moves at the right pace.

Although it’s pretty much a blow by blow remake of the original, there are some new songs and modern additions which work well and although it all ends a bit too neatly, it is a superb production.

Opposite for me, rather than try and do something different, they did just copy paste the original, Smith doesn't even come close to RW in this, if you've never seen the original its a great film and story, but those who have. Might be a bit disappointed.

6.5976457/10 from me

Commissario
Just finished watching Spider Man: Into the Spider Verse, which is probably the best Spiderman film I've seen and was great fun.

I would love to see films/tv series based off the various different spider people, or even better a sequel.

[edit]
Just seen that there is almost certainly going to be a sequel and spin off:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Rocketman.

I enjoyed it, but wasnt aware that it was mor eof a musical. Was expecting more or less Bohemian Rhapsody but with Elton John :D

Overall though a good story and strong performances, just the musical style isn't usually my thing

Soldato
Watched Spider-man: Homecoming

Thought it was ok, better than the last two with Garfield I think. 7/10

Opposite for me, rather than try and do something different, they did just copy paste the original, Smith doesn't even come close to RW in this, if you've never seen the original its a great film and story, but those who have. Might be a bit disappointed.

6.5976457/10 from me

I can't see why they would want to make it different? It should be a carbon copy to the cartoon in my books, as it was a fantastic cartoon. I have to agree though, i just didn't gel with Smith as the genie, but then no one will ever replace Williams. Let's see if they make a sequel.

Soldato
Resident Evil Afterlife

Really quite bad, this one. Not sure if it's as bad as the 2nd film, but certainly close. Wesker is such a crap villain.

Retribution and The Final Chapter aren't any better. I'd actually say they are worse; so.. not much to look forward to then, other than to say that once you've finished The Final Chapter, there aren't any more to endure. :p

Agree that Wesker was crap. Isaacs was far more interesting.

I've got a soft spot for Extinction. In my opinion at least, it was better than any of the others except the first. Of the four that Anderson directed (Resident Evil, Afterlife, Retribution and The Final Chapter), they got progressively worse. He did write them all though.

Constantin Film didn't waste any time in ordering a reboot. Not surprising I suppose, given the six films made a total of around $1bn on a budget of about $300m. Hopefully the guy that they put in charge to oversee the reboot of Resident Evil does a better job than 'one hit wonder' Anderson did. Can't remember his name, but he's already done some good work elsewhere.

Associate
Shed Of The Dead - 2/10.

Decided to watch this as it got some good [fake - see below] reviews.

It's rubbish.
Even Brian Blessed can't save this one.

It tries to be funny but fails miserably.
I think the bathroom scene where
A recently turned zombie and soon to be zombie, "get off" by eating each others face
was meant to be funny but it was just too uncomfortable to watch - certainly for a "comedy" film.

Looking back at the reviews, all the 9/10+ scores (IMDB and Amazon) are by people recently signed up with just one review to their name.
As another person commented on IMDB - it's more than likely the production team doing the reviews.

Associate
Young Frankenstein (1974) - 7/10

A fun and silly horror comedy with over the top characters, mild innuendos and a smattering of hit and miss jokes.

Good acting, story and setting, but it does drag on a bit in the second half and it also looks a bit cheap in parts, although this does add to the spoof style and charm.

Associate

6.5976457/10 from me

Looking back, I think it was the nostalgia factor that made me overlook a lot of the weaker elements of the film. Then again, I was in the mood for an upbeat and enjoyable film and it definitely delivered on that front. The modern additions fitted quite well with the rest of the film, and the big set pieces were really spectacular.

I imagine i'll have a similar opinion of The Lion King when that comes out later this year - that and Aladdin were the Disney movies i grew up with.

Associate
After watching Fellowship the other night, I gave The Two Towers a rewatch tonight. Like the first instalment, a lot of it surprised me by how well it held up. The battle at Helms Deep still looks pretty well done. Even Gollum looks sharp, given the CGI is 17 years old.

17 years! Wow that makes me feel old.

Man of Honour
The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019) - 5/10

The animation is good and the animals (and kids) have the cute factor, but there isn’t much else about it.

The stories are ok, but go far too over the top as they progress, and it feels as though it’s trying too hard to be cool and funny.

There are some mildly amusing moments, but mostly, it’s nothing special.
The first film was really naff - I’m amazed it did so well financially. People just like pets I guess.

Soldato
Rim of the World on Netflix - 1/10.

What a pile of absolute trash. I don't even know where the hell to begin. The film has an identity crisis as it attempts to ride off the back of Stranger Things and Goonies with some iD4 thrown in - Is it an adult film, it can't be a kids films when you're talking about boobies, slinging adult themes all over the shop and then the kids deciding on who will 'sleep' with the teenage girl even though they're all underage. You've got phallic moments in the film too, so wtf is going on?

The entire movie is a confused mess that belongs at the bottom of some bargain bin. This film isn't fun.

Back
Top Bottom